shape
carat
color
clarity

I said I would never do it, but... temptation.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
ha ha! Dreamer, you kill me!!! I know this one is an H, but is it that much bigger than your current stone? Wait...I see it is reserved...uh oh...are you up to trouble?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i love the specs... :love: eye clean?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't it funny what temptation will do? :naughty:

Looks beautiful :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a nice price, Dreamer! But 1) is it much bigger than your 1.66? and 2) I thought you were a clarity gal! Will you be happy with an SI2?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the ASET, I really like the fluorescence, I LOVE the price. Is it significantly different from what you have now, though? Enough to be worth the bother of swapping? Also, I'd double-check the clarity: an SI2 with additional wisps/graining not shown makes me a l'il nervous.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, this is an interesting thread :naughty:

It's gorgeous, and I love the fluor! Do you think you'd be happy w/ the SI2? Just because you've said so many times how much you like the eyeclean and mind-clean aspects of your VS1..

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My diamond is a 1.67ct J VS1.

The new one is the same size, but two grade higher in color and with SBF.

Brian says totally eye clean. Whisps not an issue. Small crystal basically right over the culet, small feather near the edge. Eye clean by his definition. By mine? I would have to see it to know.

It is a lateral trade price wise.

The temptation: color color color. I love my diamond, but would not mind less tint for no more money.

The hitch: Si2.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The clarity was my first thought since I knew you had enjoyed the VS1. It would be a mind-clean issue for me, but I am all for those who can benefit from the great prices of clean SI stones! Naturally I would say I'd like the H since mine is H! Hard decision...I wouldn't do it unless you are sure it is worth it. Otherwise wait for an H or I VS2!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous but you luuuuuuuuuurve your VS1! If you really want a higher color, I would wait it out until there is a VS1/VS2, G,H color. If you trade your current diamond in for the SI, I would almost bet you would then trade that diamond in once a higher clarity diamond came in stock.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this site, but I ALWAYS pick color over clarity. I honestly don't care about clarity too much--in fact I think the tiny little inclusions make it easy to identify a stone, and I don't have to worry about stone switching.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am in the minority--the SBF would bre a deal breaker for me, any flouro for that matter...

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I won't be trading for a VS2 or SI1 -- that would cost me about $3-4k and it is not worth it to me since I am not actually unhappy with my diamond. Examples:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050981012
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104049675010

As it is, with the rise in prices, this "lateral trade" is actually a decrease in value. My present diamond would cost about $15k on todays market, though I paid about $11k for it a year ago. So this H S12, while costing the same as my diamond from a year ago, costs much less than my diamond would cost today! That difference will only get greater as prices continue to rise over the summer.

I don't want an upgrade so badly that I want to pay more for it ;)) This one just appealed because the price is the same as my current stone... I thought it was worth considering, since it might be the last time a color increase is in reach!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you've already made up your mind to keep the beautiful diamond you have now but it's always fun to look, dream and comparison shop. :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
marcy|1306467302|2931442 said:
Sounds like you've already made up your mind to keep the beautiful diamond you have now but it's always fun to look, dream and comparison shop. :appl:

Yes, I think I have! It was worth a consideration, though. I think this diamond is a *great* value and I bet its a stunner. I want another PSer to buy it and post photos so I can be jealous. :rodent: :cheeky:

It is nice to dream, though. I think that my diamond trading days are officially over!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
haha. Good to hear. Add me to the color over clarity girls. I'm not finicky about eye-clean or barely seen clarity issues, but a crystal over a culet would probably make me reconsider. I find it hard to believe I wouldn't spot a crystal in the center of the stone - and yes, I'd put it right up to my eye (so it wouldn't be a vendor's idea of "eye clean"). Plus, I'd always be looking for it.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I also prefer high color to high clarity. To me the color is more visible. But in your case the size is so close. It'd be nice in improve on size and color. Plus you already love your stone. Keep looking.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swingirl|1306494887|2931574 said:
I also prefer high color to high clarity. To me the color is more visible. But in your case the size is so close. It'd be nice in improve on size and color. Plus you already love your stone. Keep looking.

Yes, that's what I think too. I don't mind what I can only see with a loupe. ;))

Well, it's always fun to 'window shop,' Dreamer! That's half the fun of PS!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me it is a balance between color and clarity that matters. I don't like to compromise too much on either. And of course, carat is more important than either color or clarity :devil:

With my present stone, I would have been happy with a VS2, or an SI1 if I *knew* it would be 100% eye clean -- but like iota I do tend to peer at my diamonds at very close range. Ending up with a VS1, because it was a diamond that met my other desires for size and budget, was a happy accident!

If I lived in the US there is no doubt what I would do. I would have had this stone sent out to me so I could inspect it and compare it to my present diamond. But living in Canada makes that too complex.

I also could not really shake the value thing -- my present diamond is actually $4000 more valuable than the diamond I was considering. Though I will not sell it, I could not shake the feeling it was a little cukoo to do a trade like that.

If I was really unhappy with my diamond -- feeling about it the way I felt about my former K color stone, or my former SI2 -- then I would have made the trade. But I love my diamond. So the temptation was not great enough I guess!

Anyways, I sure hope someone buys this stone and posts their impressions! I'd like to hear them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This was a good test of my commitment to my current diamond. Like resisting the overtures of your coworker who looking like Hugh Jackman, perhaps, helps prove your commitment to your spouse :cheeky:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1306510368|2931697 said:
This was a good test of my commitment to my current diamond. Like resisting the overtures of your coworker who looking like Hugh Jackman, perhaps, helps prove your commitment to your spouse :cheeky:

Of course this is ridulous! :devil: :saint:

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1306511958|2931709 said:

cheers--Sharon

You are right, Sharon. Who could resist Hugh Jackman?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enjoy the diamond you have!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1306515058|2931751 said:
Enjoy the diamond you have!!!

I do! I will! :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cheers--Sharon

::snort::

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think that prices are so high that trades make almost no sense at all. Anyone who bought last year or before would be trading down in quality to stay close to the same purchase price or paying a big premium to increase size/quality. I think a lot of us have our forever stones at this point! And my dreams of an AVC are sort of down the tubes unless some miraculous drop in prices occurs!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it's worth it, not just for the color, but the fluor would be a HUGE selling point for me. You're basically getting a stone of roughly the same size, but with fluor and higher color, and the small expense of lower clarity (which is almost certainly eye-clean if BGD is selling it as a signature stone). That's a no-brainer for me!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1306528288|2931910 said:
I do think that prices are so high that trades make almost no sense at all. Anyone who bought last year or before would be trading down in quality to stay close to the same purchase price or paying a big premium to increase size/quality. I think a lot of us have our forever stones at this point! And my dreams of an AVC are sort of down the tubes unless some miraculous drop in prices occurs!

Yep. I can't even believe the prices of stones! I shopped in 2009. It's crazy now!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1306512389|2931715 said:

cheers--Sharon

Ha, I don't think anyone could! Glad you kept your diamond.

It's shocking how much diamond prices have risen, though! If I ever want to upgrade I may as well just keep my e-ring stone and buy a whole new diamond! It just makes financial sense! Right guys?! :cheeky:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1306532904|2931982 said:
Dreamer_D|1306512389|2931715 said:

cheers--Sharon

Ha, I don't think anyone could! Glad you kept your diamond.

It's shocking how much diamond prices have risen, though! If I ever want to upgrade I may as well just keep my e-ring stone and buy a whole new diamond! It just makes financial sense! Right guys?! :cheeky:

RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT!! :bigsmile:

At least that is what we should tell our husbands.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results