shape
carat
color
clarity

I proposed to him via text message!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DollyM52

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I met back in grammar school. After 23 + years we found each other again online. One email led to another, and one text to another, and before we knew it we were communicating via telephone. He asked me out, and I agreed. As soon as I saw him again I knew he was the one. It felt so right to have him back in my life. It''s been four months now. I have confessed my love to him, and he has as well. Last night for no reason at all I felt in my heart to ask him a question. I sent him a text message that stated I needed to ask him a question, and that I would need a response within 5 minutes. He says Ok, and then I do it. I send him a text message that says " Will you marry me?" He was shocked, I completely took him by surprise. He did not text back,but instead called me. He thought I was joking. But he said his answer was "Yes". I tried to minimize what I had done, but where do I go from here. I wonder if he is going to think that I am crazy? What happens next?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi DollyM52

It seems that in a very playful way you''ve initiated the "where do you see this relationship heading?" conversation. Perhaps your boyfriend was a little blindsided by your sudden proposal, but now all your cards are on the table as to how you feel about the relationship.

Now your task is to find out how he''s feeling, and where he sees the relationship heading in the next couple of years. You could even talk tentative time lines ie. he might say he doesn''t want to marry until he''s XX years old, or you hope to see yourself engaged in the next 2 years- that kind of thing.

Once you as a couple have discussed a time line, depending on your relationship and love/hate of surprises, it might be a good idea to start sending him hints about what kind of ring you''d like. If you are a modern couple, you might start to save up to pay for half of it, or be the one to pick out the stone and setting.

Then is the hardest part...waiting for his proposal (assuming he wants to do an official formal proposal).

If you folks are a really modern couple though, your text proposal might be it , and it''s on to ring shopping pronto
9.gif

Congrats on becoming a LIW! - you could add your name to the list.

Cheers,
HD

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
What happens next is really up to the two of you. Do you consider the text proposal/acceptance to be the start of your engagement, or are you waiting on him to propose back? If it''s the former, well, then what happens next is you start discussing plans for a wedding. If it''s the latter, welcome to LIW!

DollyM52

Rough_Rock
I am just a little worried he might think I stole his moment. We have talked about it. Actually early on he told me he wanted a serious relationship, and wanted to settle down. And, we have talked about a future together. And, when we talk about it he says it is a very near future. But, it''s me that tells him I need the four seasons as far as time. But, last night something in my heart felt it was right to ask that question. I wonder if he thinks we are "engaged"? I don''t even want to bring up the topic I am a bit embarrassed.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 9:02:17 PM
Author: DollyM52
I don't even want to bring up the topic I am a bit embarrassed.
Okay .. sure, its a bit awkward. Unexpected. You're feeling shy all of a sudden. You poured out your heart & its leaving you feeling vulnerable even though he responded positively. Listen -- you have to talk to him about it. IN PERSON this time. The VERY BEST PART about finding your life partner is being able to be imperfect around them & it being OKAY. Confess. Confess all you're feeling & wondering & I bet it will be a huge relief to break the ice about it and be talking face to face about such a nice subject.

How long have you been together? Are you still trying to be *perfect* around him? If so, maybe its too early for an official engagement?

PrincessLily2009

Rough_Rock
I randomly proposed to my boyfriend not too long ago. Then, several months later, he "accidentally" proposed to me.

Both "incidents" occurred during what I refer to as "adult moments," if you catch my drift. We were obviously just caught up in the moment, and even though we both said, "yes," we still don''t consider ourselves to be engaged.

The first time, I just straight up asked him if we were seriously engaged. It was not a fun or light conversation, but it had to happen. The second time, I burst into unhappy tears, so the discussion came without any real prompting.

I don''t know if your situation is the same as mine, but I know that immediately after the words left my mouth, I was filled with regret. At the same time, I felt relief. I had been choking back those words for so long-it was kind of nice to just let them go.

Don''t be embarrassed-the most difficult part is over, and I would imagine that he wants to discuss the status of your relationship just as much as you do. Just ask him!

DollyM52

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your comments. I am definitely going to speak to him about it in person when I see him. We live about an hour away from each other. So we usually only see each other on the weekends. We have been seeing each other for about four months. And, I do try to be perfect around him, but I''ve been letting loose little by little and so has he. I had taken a break from dating for about 5 years so I just feel clueless as to what do do sometimes. I love him, and dont want to make any mistakes.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Aww! I understand how this must be a confusing situation, but I admire the guts that it takes to bring up such a conversation/ask such a question! It seems like the hard part is mostly done (which would be bringing it up) so don''t stress about the rest.

DollyM52

Rough_Rock
I have an update. I think either he purchased the ring, or is about to purchase my ring! He asked me yesterday what my rings size was, and wanted an answer Asap! I am so excited....

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting!!! I''m so glad it sounds like it''s all going to work out!
36.gif
Don''t forget to come back and post pictures!!!
9.gif

pluck15

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!!! Sounds like you definitely got the ball rolling!! Dust to you that it comes very soon!!! Come back with lots of pictures and a story please!
36.gif

DollyM52

Rough_Rock
Thank you ladies! I will definitely keep everyone posted as soon as it happens. I am so happy :)

God Bless

DollyM52

Rough_Rock
I am so excited! Here is the latest update.My boyfriend confided in my teenage children that he purchased the ring, and is proposing very soon.... and, just today he told me that next Saturday he has something planned for just him and I. The only thing he would tell me is that I would love the surprise. So hopefully in the next 10 days or so I can put up a picture of the E-Ring!!

pluck15

Shiny_Rock
Yay!!! Can''t wait to hear the stories and see the bling!! Dust dust dust!!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
********************DUST DUST DUST*********************

That''s soooo exciting!!!! Can''t wait to see your e-ring on your finger!!!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yay!! Lots of dust for you!!!

trishy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 9:09:02 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 7/20/2009 9:02:17 PM
Author: DollyM52
I don''t even want to bring up the topic I am a bit embarrassed.
Okay .. sure, its a bit awkward. Unexpected. You''re feeling shy all of a sudden. You poured out your heart & its leaving you feeling vulnerable even though he responded positively. Listen -- you have to talk to him about it. IN PERSON this time. The VERY BEST PART about finding your life partner is being able to be imperfect around them & it being OKAY. Confess. Confess all you''re feeling & wondering & I bet it will be a huge relief to break the ice about it and be talking face to face about such a nice subject.

How long have you been together? Are you still trying to be *perfect* around him? If so, maybe its too early for an official engagement?
i am so happy for you!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
that is so awesome you are both on the same page, and so soon. that is awesome he went and got the ring too.
i must wholeheartedly agree with deco''s words. you are so lucky to have gotten such an awesome response from him.

i bet you can tell him anything!!! he sounds amazing... lots of dust. enjoy your night out. and make sure to come back with the update and pics!!

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!! I''m so happy for you!

DollyM52

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much guys for the well wishes. You guys are awesome! It''s so nice to share the excitement, and have all of you be excited with me! Well he changed the important day to 9/5/09 but it''s definitely a date. I can wait its just a few weeks away. I am soooo happy
emlove.gif
emlove.gif

Hopefully the next time I post it will be with pictures..
emteeth.gif

DollyM52

Rough_Rock

Hello everyone, Sorry I did not post right away. I had my gall bladder removed last Tuesday so I have not been online for a week. But, I wanted to report back that it happened! The love of my life proposed to me on 9/5/09. He had a date arranged for us, and surprised me with a dinner cruise on a Saturday evening. One of the highlights of the evening was a fireworks display that was viewable from the cruise. As the fireworks started he began to tell me that he loved me, wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, and before I knew it he was down on one knee asking me to make him the happiest man in the world and marry him. Even though I knew it was coming nothing could have prepared me for the intense emotion I felt. I immediately said "Yes". I am so happy and blessed to have the man of my dreams heart as he has mine. I prayed alot about this, and feel that God is ordering our steps for the future. We have tentatively set a date for 4/10/2010. Now, we just have to see how we can have everyone special to us be there on that special day without breaking our budget.

See the picture of the ring attached. My favorite color is Green, and I love green jewelry. So he made sure he got me something unique!

MyRingDollyM520905.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!! Your story is so wonderful! Best of luck to you with wedding planning!!!
9.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Sweet story. What''s the centre stone?

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!!!!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the engagement! That''s quite a unique ring!! I love it!!

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! :) Pretty ring!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
You should definitely post more pictures of the ring (I love green too, and although I have a diamond engagement ring, I''d love something green in its place)
It looks beautiful, and your story is just ...so great!
I could feel your nerves and feel the anxiety, and then...I could feel your elation!
SO happy for you!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely ring!!!!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!
36.gif
36.gif

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Awe, that was so sweet! Congratulations!!!
36.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!! That is such a great story!! Love the ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results