shape
carat
color
clarity

I NEED HELP, I''M CONFUSED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rx1920

Rough_Rock
Ok so I recently joined after finding this site a couple days ago now here is my problem:

My BF and I have been together almost 3yrs. He is a medical student getting ready for his boards so he recently told me to look for e-rings that I know I would like, put it into some sort of powerpoint with the specs and prices and then he would decide on which one he wants to get me(I guess he wants to feel like he''s part of the decision making process) even though he''s busy. He gave me a budget of $1500. So prior to finding this site, I saw the ring I thought I loved from Helzberg:

http://www.helzberg.com/product/engagement+%26+wedding/bride+style/trendy+bride/1ct+tw+diamond+engagement+ring+1679917.do?sortby=ourPicks

(This is the 1ctw diamond cluster ring). I really liked this ring, the setting was unique and I felt the price wasn''t so bad but I couldn''t get over the flat cluster top.

Then I got on this site and my eyes have widened in awe. I''m more aware of diamonds and different gemstones you can have in the ONE e-ring. So I found a custom setting on here that I loved that was designed by WF for another member:

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/edit.asp?mode=new&catID=1&forumID=3&topicID=104227

So I called WF and spoke to Bob who quoted me a price that basically leaves no room for a diamond center. He suggested a 6.5mm white sapphire to put in the center.

Now the dilemma: Which should I go for? My BF and I have discussed that whichever I get will be upgraded to a solid diamond after he graduates and is more stable(after his residency = ~6yrs from now). I want to continue to wear the setting forever of whatever ring I am given and just upgrade the stone due to the sentimental value of the ring. I have read positive things about WF and the people in Helzberg have been nice and helpful. I have tried on the Helzberg ring and it looks great on me and I have tried on a similar design ring that I''m asking WF to make and that also looks great on me. I had never thought of putting a sapphire in an engagement ring and at the same time I don''t know how a cluster would look. I am not a fan of solitare so I don''t even want to go there.

I wear a 5 scant~4.75. I like unique, antique/vintage e-rings. I don''t like settings that are common but I love realistic looking bling. Either way, I want something that isn''t too gaudy that it looks fake but elegant, nice and different.

Any insight, suggestions, or advice would be great
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you repost the Whiteflash setting?

The first time didn''t work out.

rx1920

Rough_Rock
Sorry, here it goes:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/for-finishing-law-school.85000/

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I would go with the nice setting and placeholder stone as my first choice out of the options you have here. I would probably not go with white sapphire myself- they have no fire and don't really look very diamond-y. Instead I'd probably go with a white stone that looks more like a diamond- there are some really good options out there, but it's outside the scope of this board to go into more detail; suffice it to say that it's a valid choice for a temp stone IMO. Or, I'd go with a beautiful colored gemstone that wouldn't break the bank, like spinel or something. Zircon (not to be confused with cubic zirconia!) has a lot of fire- if you like tealish blue, a zircon could be fun. Then you could put the colored stone into a pendant later.

You could also go with a smaller diamond in an inexpensive setting too, if you went with a place like Whiteflash that allows upgrades.

I don't adore the Helzberg cluster ring- rather than that, if it were me, I'd get a pretty antique ring with a small stone. In fact that was what I *did* do when I got married- I wore a pretty filigree set from the 1930s for 7 years, that was .25 cttw. I did get compliments on it, even with such a small stone- it was a very pretty setting and I liked it a lot. My sister in law and my sister both went this route too, we all spent around $500 or less and got quite lovely rings... neither of them are every planning to upgrade either as far as I know, they're perfectly content with their rings. Just my $0.02, for whatever it's worth; figured I'd toss that suggestion out there if you hadn't considered it, since the two rings you have picked out have a slight vintage flavor to them.
1.gif
Good luck!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
My sister is a Dr and her boss told us this story. When he was in med school he wanted to get engaged but couldn''t afford what he really wanted to get his girlfriend...so he got her the setting she dreamed of and placed a 2ct (other type of stone
2.gif
) for the center stone. He then replaced the 2 ct "other stone" with a 2ct diamond when his practice was up and running. He said the only ones that knew anything were him and his wife. GL with whatever you choose. BTW I had my rings made by Whiteflash and they were great to work with

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the nice setting (whiteflash) and put in that other kind of stone
2.gif
. That way you have
a ring that you love. I would feel like I was settling if I got the HB ring. I''m not a big cluster person.
I would rather have some other kind of ring then a cluster. (every time I type that word I think of
that other word that usually follows cluster
32.gif
- where is my mind
3.gif
).

Tell us what you decide to do and come back with pics!
35.gif

rx1920

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei for fixing my link:) Also, thanks guys for your advise. Well, I made some more calls to get an idea price wise for the custom setting and Quest seems to be offering a better deal and Peter has one of the best personalities and people skills that I have ever encountered so judging from what I''ve read on here, I can''t go wrong w/ either Quest or WF.
When I make this power point for him, I will put just the Helzberg and the custom setting so he feels like he''s having an input then I will highlight, bold, asterisk, capitalize and place arrows at the custom setting because I LOVE THAT ONE!!!!
2.gif

I''m so excited. Hopefully, he catches the hint(I think he will). Thanks guys
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 10:05:47 PM
Author: rx1920
Thanks Lorelei for fixing my link:) Also, thanks guys for your advise. Well, I made some more calls to get an idea price wise for the custom setting and Quest seems to be offering a better deal and Peter has one of the best personalities and people skills that I have ever encountered so judging from what I''ve read on here, I can''t go wrong w/ either Quest or WF.
When I make this power point for him, I will put just the Helzberg and the custom setting so he feels like he''s having an input then I will highlight, bold, asterisk, capitalize and place arrows at the custom setting because I LOVE THAT ONE!!!!
2.gif

I''m so excited. Hopefully, he catches the hint(I think he will). Thanks guys
1.gif
Keep us posted and you are most welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results