shape
carat
color
clarity

I miss my mom (jewelry hommage to her)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Some of you can probably tell from my latest LT posts that I’ve been digging through my collection as I choose the part with some things. Doing so has made me very nostalgic, and it makes me miss my mom so terribly. She died in 2016 and was only in her 60s. She had a rare form of liver disease, and the kicker is that she never even drank so it was in no way caused by her own doing. What was particularly painful is that she was on a transplant list, and she actually got a transplant, then died two days later in the hospital because of a freak hemorrhage. It shocked all of the doctors, and was devastating for our family as we experienced such joy of her receiving the new liver, which was then robbed two days later. She had done extraordinarily well through the surgery and post-op, so we were completely unprepared for the outcome. :cry2:

I think of her daily, but have been thinking of her even more so because I have kept some of her most special pieces of jewelry. She loved jewelry and she had very little money growing up and then starting out. As she became more successful, she bought more pieces. She also loved to buy it for other people, so for every birthday and Christmas she always bought something for me. She and I didn’t share the same taste, but even still there are pieces of hers that I just love and wear, and think of her. Sadly, she had a diamond solitaire that my dad bought for her some years after their wedding (they couldn’t afford a diamond when they first married) and that item was lost. I would give anything to have it back. But I have put some of her jewelry pieces as well as some of the things she gifted me below:

This turquoise ring is one of my favorites! I think that it looks much more expensive than it actually was, as she bought it from a Macy’s department store!

IMG_9843.jpg IMG_9845.jpg

This cocktail ring is a purchase I remember clearly. I was only about five years old and it was one of her first “big” jewelry purchases, when she was beginning to make more money at her job.

IMG_9847.jpg IMG_9848.jpg

She loved the colors blue and pink, so blue zircon, blue topaz, tanzanite, pink tourmaline, and pink sapphire were some of her favorites. The big pink tourmaline is mounted to my dad’s wedding band (he also passed long before she did).

IMG_9850.jpg

I remember this tanzanite (I was a teen when she got it) was also due to a bonus she got at work:

IMG_9851.jpg

She loved pendants too. She gave me the blue zircon, iolite, and tanzy pendant, and the pink tourmaline and pretty ruby one were hers. She had all of these made with the exception of the tanzy one. She also had the zircon earrings made for me as a birthday gift when I turned 40:

IMG_9854.jpg IMG_9856.jpg IMG_9857.jpg

She gave me this ring as a gift and I have no idea what stone it is. Anyone know? It looks lighter than sapphire. It has “garland” stamped into the gold. It’s my only marquis shaped stone:

IMG_9852.jpg

Because she was obsessed with blue, she also adored Southwest and Native American jewelry with turquoise and other polished stones:

IMG_9871.jpg

On this hand was one ring she had made for herself, and one for me. They are similar in style but mine (thankfully) was much daintier! They were mother/daughter rings. I hope to repurpose hers one day into a style I would wear. Ideas welcome haha!

IMG_9863.jpg

This is a Levian pink sapphire she bought me, and a blue-green zircon she had made that I would also like to change up one day :

IMG_9864.jpg

When she passed, she had amassed a giant collection that far exceeds what I’ve posted just now. Much of it was not my style, but the sheer volume was just so overwhelming. I kept many pieces (as you can see - this isn’t even all of them) but I decided to sell what I didn’t want. When I did that, I cobbled all those funds together to buy one stunner of a ring. I had always wanted a yellow diamond, so I got this from DBL and it still makes me think of my mom as it is thanks to the sale of her pieces that I could buy this one:

IMG_9874.jpg

Lastly, a purple-pink heart tourmaline she had made for me. I love her and miss her so much.

IMG_9868.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to your mom. ❤️

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How lovely that you have these pieces to wear and think of her. I'm sorry you're missing your mom.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mreader Thank you for sharing your photos and memories of your mom‘s collection. I really enjoyed reading how she acquired each piece....I can tell from the way you talked about her that you both had a special relationship. Your ring is beautiful...I‘m so sorry for your loss..

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry for the tragic loss of your beloved mom. That you have such lovely pieces to remind you is a wonderful gift. I hope you wear her pieces and that they bring you some peace.
I suffered the loss of my parents six weeks apart and also find great comfort wearing moms things. Clothes, jewelry, scarves...I wear her trinity band often and it brings me so many warm feelings.
Sending you gentle hugs as you navigate your way through your loss. ❤️
This always somehow helps me through the pain...
C7145EA4-09B3-42F9-B6AA-71ABD1368E3B.jpeg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you enjoy wearing some of her things.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How beautiful to have such special pieces, all with their own stories, that document memorable times in yours, and your mother’s lives.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to add that I wonder if your blue marquise halo ring could possibly be London Blue Topaz? Difficult to tell if the blue background is distorting the colour. Does the true colour look anything like this? 762935

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry for your loss, I really enjoyed reading your post. As a fellow turquoise fan I love your turquoise ring, it’s gorgeous. The Mother and Daughter rings are so cool, I would love to do that with my daughter. It’s great that you managed to keep so many pieces but to also buy something so spectacular that is entirely to your taste! Hope you enjoy wearing your jewelry and the memories!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry for your loss, I really enjoyed reading your post. As a fellow turquoise fan I love your turquoise ring, it’s gorgeous. The Mother and Daughter rings are so cool, I would love to do that with my daughter. It’s great that you managed to keep so many pieces but to also buy something so spectacular that is entirely to your taste! Hope you enjoy wearing your jewelry and the memories!

Thank you!! I really wish I had known more about PS back then esp in regards to the “preloved” bc then perhaps fellow PSers would be sporting some of her pieces! :D

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mum sounded like an amazing woman. How lovely that you have some of her pieces & that you have memories associated from when she got them. I love your yellow from DBL too.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to add that I wonder if your blue marquise halo ring could possibly be London Blue Topaz? Difficult to tell if the blue background is distorting the colour. Does the true colour look anything like this? 89F0A8B7-C3B9-42F5-A41D-D97228B457F9.jpeg

I suspect it might be. Here’s a better indication of color.

75C388E1-55BD-4B25-B079-C1034528EF3A.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I suspect it might be. Here’s a better indication of color.

75C388E1-55BD-4B25-B079-C1034528EF3A.jpeg

But it’s older - she bought it used and I found this on Garland hallmark:

The "GARLAND" hallmark was the trademark used by The Ball Co. of Chicago, Illinois on their fine jewelry. Originally supplying some of the finest watches made in the USA by watchmaker Webb C. Ball, who was the first jeweler to use time signals and became famed for designing the "perfect railroad watch", in 1913, Ball purchased the long-established Norris-Alister Company, a wholesale jewelry supplier. In 1924, the company began carrying their 'Garland' line, aptly named after The Garland Building in Chicago where the company was housed, while continuing to offer very collectible railroad timepieces. The company discontinued their Garland jewelry in 1960 and the watch-side of the company is now operated out of Switzerland. Due to The Ball Company's reputation for fine timepieces, their jewelry too was/is very fine and collectible..."

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you on missing your mom, I've missed mine now for 21 years on January 8th. it's there always will be, dull, constant, sad, ache. I took some of my mom's clothes when she died back to my home in Texas and they are still here in my closet, they moved to Maine with me and now back to Austin, 7 years after my mom died my dad died and his stuff is hanging next to her's. this make me feel safe and happy and think happy thoughts of them.

It's wonderful your mom was a collector and as an aging mom myself, I plan to leave a few pieces to both my sons and the rest I hope to sell or rehome before I leave. My mom's stuff is like a talisman, I gave all her costume jewelry necklaces to my granddaughter - her great grand! (my mother had zERO interest in expensive jewelry and left her engagement ring in a diner in Maryland on her and my dad's way back to FL after washing her hands :) lovely stone - transitional - 1 carat - had a black spot right in the middle but ooooh the rainbows from that stone - but my mom didn't care :) ) what makes us happy and makes our hearts comfortable is always wonderful after the loss of our loved ones. I have what is left of my mom's sterling and china, I plan on selling the SSilveware, it's nice, it's common, very common in 1949 when my mom married, the sentimental value is there but my kids won't get it and I don't plan on harnessing my kids to my memories, rather they remember me with a ring I loved or a book I shared than my mom's sterling and her china is also very common for the era, not sure if I will bother to even try to sell that, they can chuck it :) your mom, I am sure was a lovely, loving mom.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry for your loss and so unexpected. I am so glad you have such special memories with her jewelry and the pieces she gifted you. You clearly had a special bond that I’ll live on forever in your wonderful memories. Take good care.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry for your loss, but your post is lovely and I can tell you shared a special bond.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for your loss @Mreader . I can feel the pain in your words. I'm so glad your Mom gave you some lovely pieces.
They are cherished reminders of her.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader - I think there’s a strong possibility it is London Blue topaz, it’s a really pretty ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results