shape
carat
color
clarity

I may get trashed BUT..................

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GodBlessYas

Rough_Rock
Ok first off I hope you good people will understand that I am not new at all to the diamond tade, in fact I work in the diamond industry here in NY City and I am no youngster either. I have spent.....well I wont bore you will my work experience but to be fair yes I am an expert in gemology having been certified for well over 3 decades since I was in my older teens Ok? I have been looking over the site today and I even remember when Leonid started the new forumn back in......whew 99-00 wasn''t it? Actually nice to see his work pay off in this booming site and Im glad there are tons of happy campers here swappin stone stories but now I have to ask a question of the masses here at the site.
Do you guys really think you are getting bargains on your stones or are you just satisfied to spend anything on a decent rock? I mean if I was going to buy another rock I would be looking for the best bargain I could find and it seems with a lot of what I read that you people are getting seriously ripped off,................lol, I told you I''d get trashed for this and I WONT SAY ALL OF YOU, no but a LOT of what I am seeing and reading alarms me to no end and I mean that seriously!
Do most of you realize that dimaonds are not HALF as rare as we are made to believe and that these stones are totally over-valued by the industry which would never tell you the truth? Has anyone here ever looked into worldwide dimaond mining and all that good stuff? Now, if your just into a rock to make your girl or mate jump up and down thinking they are loved then by all means make the little lady happy but if your INVESTING in the future or if you want to see your rock increase in value over the years then PLEASE take heed to my warning about stones being over-valued and not quite as rare as you are led to believe,........whew am I gonna draw fire for this but I am trying to protect a lot of you!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to repost this in RockyTalky or Diamond Hangout where more people will see it and more of a discussion will be generated.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2004 10:52:57 AM
Author:GodBlessYas
Now, if your just into a rock to make your girl or mate jump up and down thinking they are loved then by all means make the little lady happy but if your INVESTING in the future or if you want to see your rock increase in value over the years then PLEASE take heed to my warning about stones being over-valued and not quite as rare as you are led to believe,........whew am I gonna draw fire for this but I am trying to protect a lot of you!

In fact, there are lots and lots of threads strongly warning against "buying diamonds as investment". The idea is really not popular at all on pricescope. Never was - at least in the past year or so since I joinced (and probably read most of the stuff here).

Yes, there is some doze of perfectionism... and idealism... and whatever PS streak of biasness you can find. But what you describe with "make your girl or mate jump up and down thinking they are loved" fits the scene pretty well. Am I missing allot ?

You will find some long chats on what a rip off are diamonds, and how manipulated the market is (the latest such thread was called "Why are diamonds overpriced" but there were many others). Somehow - even if this info seems widely recognized, it does not sink in.
9.gif
Funny thing that!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Nope, yes, yes, nope, yes...uh, what was the question again?

Diermint

Rough_Rock
Hi GodBlessYa,

There seem to be many who claim that diamonds are more expensive than they should be, yet none of them know anyone who can sell me really cheap diamonds.
7.gif
You won''t tell me will you?
1.gif
...please...
3.gif
... I won''t tell anyone...
2.gif

Diermint.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Rather than flame you - I would like more specific information from you to back up your statements. That is what this site is about - information and education.

Please define what you feel is a bargain ?

Will you be more specific and tell us exactly how we are being ripped off?

As a guy - My gal knows she is loved and respected - but yes - we wan't to see our gal jump up and down and feel special! Isn't that the the point ?

Please give us more detailed information on how to protect ourselves.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 7:57:23 AM
Author: bar01
Rather than flame you - I would like more specific information from you to back up your statements. That is what this site is about - information and education.

Please define what you feel is a bargain ?

Will you be more specific and tell us exactly how we are being ripped off?

As a guy - My gal knows she is loved and respected - but yes - we wan''t to see our gal jump up and down and feel special! Isn''t that the the point ?

Please give us more detailed information on how to protect ourselves.

Well said.

He/She obviously hasn''t read a any of my posts if he thinks we dont know that.
I can always use some new ammo in my good natured play fighting with Gary H so bring on the info.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think many of us know very well diamonds are a big scam--grossly overpriced and certainly not "rare." While certain color/clarity/fancy diamonds might be "rarer" that''s about as far as it goes. But, we love diamonds despite the knowledge...and we come here to learn what we can to make the best choice for all the over-inflasted pricing, then share & enjoy.

Yes--I am a DeBeers brainwashee--I love diamonds and diamond jewelry. I also make this choice consciously. DeBeers stands as one of the most, if not THE most, successful marketing machines of modern times, just as "New Coke" was one of the, if not the, worst marketing idea of modern times.

And as someone aptly pointed out, there are many previous threads here about diamonds not being akin to a real investment. They have some intrinsic value as a commodity (if I ever really had to, I could find someone to buy my 3 ct diamond and get something for it...)

I am with the others--what''s your point? That we''re all stupid, stupid, stupid (okay--that''s a line from The Rainmaker--couldn''t resist)
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I also know that my Louis bag is canvas. I don''t much care!
9.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very few things sell for their true value. It is our perception of their relative value to us that gives us the reason to make a purchase. The underlying true value of most things is very small compared to its retail asking price.

Diamonds are not exception to this rule. You do not see people buying diamonds who don''t want to buy them or give them to someone as a gift. They are not a storehouse of value such as real estate has been for several decades. They are a much hyped item and people have bought into the idea of their importance to symbolize love, eternal faith, and durability. All of these are intangibles that we highly respect and value, so we now attach diamonds to these ideas. That''s what creates the market and why diamonds command the price they do.

A thief will sell you a stolen, hot diamond, for very little money. The thief only wants his money or his drugs, but does not work in the regular market. If you have no conscience there are diamonds that are cheap, but not legitimate. This proves that they have less value in some circumstances, but who''d want to buy any this way? No need to volunteer, as there appear to be plenty of fences buying hot stones every day....

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
As always well said Oldminer.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Rarity does not always apply to worth. Its supply and demand that calculates price.

Just my two cents :)

Corey J

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well said Dave its why I dont harp on it too much. If someone wants to buy diamonds they should get the best diamond for that amount of money which is why I hang around even though I dont like a lot of things about the diamond industry as a whole.

As for a few others and your weed comments what is wrong with listening to what this person has to say?
We listen to what you have to say and draw our own conclusions why cant we listen to what this person has to say and draw our own conclusions?
Graanted the person came accross as a troll on the first post but hey maybe they have something useful to say.

reena

Ideal_Rock
yeah and i can ASSURE you that my gucci slides did not cost gucci $400 to make. i'm over it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I would like to believe that it has been sometime since I have been led down the garden path, and therefore eshew the idea I cannot think for myself. Sense and sensibility but mostly the ability to choose, are qualitites and abilities I credit to most people. We may gather here b/c of a collective interest, but I maintain that "great mind think for themselves".
34.gif
TGIF.

cheers--Sharon

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
GodBlessYas:

Hello there. I am sure that you probably have an auto for transportation or maybe a nice mongoose bicycle. Looking at the big picture, do you realize how much mark up there is on your auto, home, dining out, going to a movie, vacations, and yes even diamonds. Everything is marked up so that people can make a living. Im sure in your field, there is a markup, otherwise you couldn''t pay your mortgage/rent, fixed living expenses. I think people that go into a Costco or a jewelry store know that there is a markup. To point out Reena''s quote, Gucci is something she chooses to buy at a costly expense, and she is not crying that she was ripped. Same with expensive jewelry. If you could get everything at a rock bottom price people would not be able to raise their families. This is from a household of a manager at an auto manufacturer and healthcare industry. Sure we would all love to get bargains, but I dont think they exist unless you are willing to get what you pay for. It would be interesting to see if you will list the prices or a source.

yellowfan

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know how true this is... but i''ve heard that diamonds'' mark up can be anywhere from 300% to 500%.

does anyone know? (just curious....)
33.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 10
6.gif
0:38 AM
Author: reena
yeah and i can ASSURE you that my gucci slides did not cost gucci $400 to make. i''m over it.
amen yellowfan!

oh, and lest everyone think i''m some extravagant label whore . . . that''s the only gucci item i''ve ever owned.
2.gif
it was just a good example.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 9
6.gif
6:48 AM
Author: moremoremore
I also know that my Louis bag is canvas. I don''t much care!
9.gif
LMAO.......I wanted this Louis tote for my 40th Birthday this year. I found a pic of it on the website, took a pic of the monitor with my camera phone and emailed pic to hubby''s phone. I''ve been begging him to bring home a knock-off since he works in the downtown area of Atlanta and they sell them in a park right around the corner from his office. On top of that, they are pretty believable. He has refused for years, but knew he would have to cough up $$$$ for the real thing, so off he went to find the bag in the park. Needless to say, I got the knock-off and can just imagine what he looked like going from booth to booth looking at his phone to get the exact one
11.gif
He will do anything to save a buck. I know.....I know....totally off topic
41.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 2:31:59 PM
Author: firerock
I don't know how true this is... but i've heard that diamonds' mark up can be anywhere from 300% to 500%.

does anyone know? (just curious....)
33.gif
The vast majority of the money spent on a diamond at the wholesale level goes to the rough supplier.
How much profit they make on them is not very clear.
The cutting houses that cut the rough make 10%-20% or so.
Then there is the retail markup.
Online:
drop shippers 20% or so
Full service 25% or so
Places like blue nile 35%-40%
B&M
25% or so to 200%+
Walmart:
20% or so but they can and have gone lower/higher.

Anymore very few places are getting over the 100% range.

These are just rough numbers that get thrown around on here.
The internet numbers are close but the rest are guess work.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Not too long ago I paid $245 per seat to see Sting & Annie Lennox with my lovely lady
emnote.gif

...2 hours of "just music" with nothing to show for it afterwards.

Additionally,

Dinner: $140
emotion-33.gif

Parking: $25
emhug.gif

Adult beverages: $40
embeer.gif

Nightcap: $20
emcocktl.gif

Hotel Suite: $125
emmoon.gif

Retail value to me... Priceless
1.gif

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
John,

Bet your evening was great! Im sure no one held a gun to your head and made you go!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/19/2004 9:44:38 AM
Author: strmrdr
Well said Dave its why I dont harp on it too much. If someone wants to buy diamonds they should get the best diamond for that amount of money which is why I hang around even though I dont like a lot of things about the diamond industry as a whole.

As for a few others and your weed comments what is wrong with listening to what this person has to say?
We listen to what you have to say and draw our own conclusions why cant we listen to what this person has to say and draw our own conclusions?
Graanted the person came accross as a troll on the first post but hey maybe they have something useful to say.
Happy to listen Storm
35.gif
, and hopefully this nutter will return and give you some ammo to shoot with
36.gif
(certainly your rhetoric could do with some substance)
18.gif
20.gif
3.gif
31.gif

(that was not an attack folks - it was meant in fun)

Like you comment Dave.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL Libster! And believe it or not, the real ones are made of canvas !!!
6.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 10
6.gif
0:38 AM
Author: reena
yeah and i can ASSURE you that my gucci slides did not cost gucci $400 to make. i''m over it.
LOL--this guy would stroke out if he saw my closet of Fendis...
3.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"believe it or not, the real ones are made of canvas!!"

greg blatantly refuses to get me anything that is made of 'vinyl and canvas" that costs that much.
39.gif
but hey i've got my own funds!!
9.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 4:53
6.gif
7 PM
Author: yellowfan
John,

Bet your evening was great! Im sure no one held a gun to your head and made you go!

Yellowfan,

Oh it was spec-TAC-ular. Wild horses and a raccoon could not have dragged me away!

On topic... Because they have value to me, I will purchase Sting tix, diamonds, wine or pop rocks on terms I am comfy with.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 8:36:56 PM
Author: Mara
''believe it or not, the real ones are made of canvas!!''

greg blatantly refuses to get me anything that is made of ''vinyl and canvas'' that costs that much.
39.gif
but hey i''ve got my own funds!!
9.gif
I know what you mean, my hubby is the same way. He knew I really wanted one, and have educated him enough to pick a spectacular knock-off, even though it would still be great to have the real deal, as I''m sure it can''t be exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results