shape
carat
color
clarity

I may be new...but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Donavian

Rough_Rock
Greetings everyone, I just joined the forum about five minutes ago so, obviously, I am a new face around here...however, as I am a hopeless romantic hoping to find the perfect way to propose to my fiancé, I thought this story was one quite worth a telling or two...

...a good friend of mine proposed to his fiancé a couple of months ago. He is a youth minister with his church and one evening he and his girlfriend stopped by the church so that he could pick up something or other from his office. Well, they passed the doors to the sanctuary, and he stopped, as if struck by thought, and said, "Why don''t we go down to the alter and pray for a minute?" So, they went and were kneeling at the steps at the front and he was praying, thanking God for their families, and that He would lead their lives (obviously not verbatim)...and then he asked God that she would say ''yes.''...and when she opened her eyes, she gasped, realizing that as he prayed, he had opened up the ring box and placed it right in front of her...

...Just thought that story, while not very long, was definitely a pretty good one.

Donavian

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Donovian
35.gif
What a sweet story! I bet she did gasp when she saw the ring box!! This forum is a great place and I am sure you will get lots of advice and ideas for YOUR proposal! Stick around and we hope to be helping you to find the perfect diamond for your lovely GF! Do you have any ideas on what you are looking for yet? Good luck and hope to hear more from you soon!
9.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Welcome
35.gif

That is such a sweet story!

Donavian

Rough_Rock
Well...I definitely do have some ideas as to what I''m looking for, and I appreciate you asking; it makes a newbie feel good, not to be over looked...I just got home from work, I''m gonna get cleaned up and write some more here in a minute...

Donavian

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just love that story and look forward to hearing your ideas!!!!! Welcome to PS!!!!
35.gif
35.gif

Donavian

Rough_Rock
Well, the Natalie K ring that is attached to this post is my dream and goal as an engagement ring...if I had to wait to propose until closer to a feasible time to wed, or if I could simply purchase the set of my dreams, it would have to be the Kirk Kara set in my avatar...of which I''ll post an enlarged picture in my next post...the Natalie K is actually probably feasible, but I think after looking, that the Kirk Kara set will be priced somewhere around "out of your league"...

nk_6948.jpg

Donavian

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend wants to go into wedding dress design; however, while I think that is incredibly awesome, her father keeps trying to convince her that this particular choice of career would only set her up for failure...personally, in the aspects of realizing potential in his only remaining hope of a daughter or of encouragment in general he is a failure himself...but other than that is full of great advice and fatherly experience...

...Anyway...off my soapbox (he despises my choice of career as well)...here is the Kirk Kara set, which I don''t think will be affordable in the least to myself. I just started saving up, and I''ve got a very long way to go...but it will at least be the end of next summer before I propose, and maybe even longer. But that''s definitely not because I want to wait that long, but just so we''ll have time to save up money...

set6xi12.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Donovian, those are both FABULOUS!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
So glad you will stick around and join in the fun! That is such a shame with her Dad not being encouraging about her new career choice, however I bet once he finds out more about it and she produces her beautiful designs, he will be prouder than anyone and it will be difficult to stop him bragging about her!
36.gif
I think this kind of reaction normally stems from fear- he is concerned about his baby making a good living from drawing and making wedding dresses??????? whether she has to earn her own living or not! Try to include him in the career plans and keep him in the loop, once he " gets it" he will be a huge support I''m sure! Also he could just be trying to be protective - doesn''t want to see his baby get hurt and will do anything to prevent it- in a very competitive career field. Keep emphasizing that is what she wants to do and will try to do - yes she is well aware that failure could be just around the next corner, but this holds true for many careers and she needs to make her own decisions. Failure is often just another way of saying - " road closed - diversion" to get you back on track. I really hope your GF is successful in her new venture and I wish you both lots of luck!!!

Those are both beautiful rings!!! I take it you prefer the branded designs and rings? With saving, it is surprising how fast the money builds up if you are really focused on what you want!! Just thinking what about custom design and choosing the diamonds separately? I am not sure how much custom is but it might be in some cases a little cheaper than brand, that way you could get a beautiful, unique ring with a fantastic cut, sparkly diamond for less money. Just a thought, it might be worth exploring this option. Good luck with everything - hope to be helping you out with a ring soon!
35.gif

Donavian

Rough_Rock
What I would really love to be able to find, is a jeweler/ring-maker who could take a sketch of mine and create a ring of my own design! and I don''t just mean "customizing" by choosing pre-made pieces, I mean really taking my own design and bringing it to life...

...To be specific, when she talks about fulfilling her dreams, her father begins to compare her to her older sisters from his previous marriages who have all either run away, gotten pregnant at an early and unwed age or both. She''s nothing like that at all...

...Anyway, I really appreciate the encouragment and welcome around here...gotta go, gotta work!...

God bless,
Donavian

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say start drawing and sketching your designs. It will end up being so much more meaningful, something that you created on your own. I''m sure she will love it.

Donavian

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/2/2005 1:39:40 PM
Author: kaleigh
I say start drawing and sketching your designs. It will end up being so much more meaningful, something that you created on your own. I''m sure she will love it.
But do you know of anywhere in specific that is capable of such? Or anyone for that matter?

God bless,
Donavian

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure where you are, but I just had Quest in VA do my asscher ring. There are many PS''ers that have had rings done by them. I live outside of Philly, sent them my stone and worked with them on the design over the phone. Their prices are very reasonable too. Also WF does a great job with custom rings. I will use Quest for all my future projects, their work is amazing. Go to SMTR and look for my asscher thread, the ring is just beautiful. Good luck and you can PM me if you want their phone number.

mjboone13

Rough_Rock
i like all of the stories and the pictures.. I am not sure wher eyou are located, but if it is in the Midwest (near Chicago), the jeweler Dimend Scassi does custom rings... you can take him a sketch and he will create a wax mold of it and then produce it.... i know he does mail order as well, but i dont think he does custom over the mail.... but look him up at dimendscassi.com, his name is Issac.

good luck... and i can relate to the whole saving money for what you REALLY want thing...

ciao.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2005 2:01:46 AM
Author: Donavian

...Anyway...off my soapbox (he despises my choice of career as well)...here is the Kirk Kara set, which I don''t think will be affordable in the least to myself. I just started saving up, and I''ve got a very long way to go...but it will at least be the end of next summer before I propose, and maybe even longer. But that''s definitely not because I want to wait that long, but just so we''ll have time to save up money...

I love the Kirk Kara set
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
It is beautiful. I am not sure what your budget is but there are several other companies that made diamond/sapphire settings (Tacori of course being one of them). Or you could go the custom route and get quotes from a few online venders. Sometimes you are paying for the name so you might be surprised. Good luck!

Donavian

Rough_Rock
Well, let''s just say my budget is..."limited"...I can always dream of the $22,000 ring & stone Tacori''s, but I''ve got to be realistic here....I wish I could just go pick one out without price being an object, but doesn''t everybody? That''s one of the main reasons I''m looking for an affordable jeweler who is adept at custom design...

I realize this is a little off-subject, but Emily''s (my girlfriend) birthday is quite a while from now (April 7th) but I''m already looking for ideas to save up for, and I was wonder what all of you thought...

http://www.szul.com/product_details.asp?ProdId=SPR3300IL&CategoryId=103

http://www.szul.com/product_details.asp?ProdId=PRR3486SP&CategoryId=28

http://www.szul.com/product_details.asp?ProdId=SPR3486TZ&CategoryId=29

While the second and third are simply the same ring with different stones, that thin, yet wide-spread look is really a favorite of Em''s...Just wanted to know what you all thought...

God bless,
Donavian

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is your budget if you don''t mind me asking? I think if you told us we could help you out more.

Donavian

Rough_Rock
Pretty much, in the past, I have viewed myself as one of those people who choose a goal and make it happen. Well, while I''d love to keep thinking that way, the more I think, the more the gravity of the cost of an engagement ring worth buying pulls on me.

I would like to think that by the time I''m ready and able to buy an engagement ring, my range will vary somewhere between $4000-$6000.

I''ve found a few that I really like, my girlfriend loves the designs, and I''m more than willing to work for. I''ve also been seriously thinking about the custom design idea...

God bless
Don

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
what size stone do you want? If you pushed your budget and spent 4,000 on the stone and 2,000 on the setting you might be able to get "your dream setting". I am not sure how much the kirk kara set is (AGAIN, wow, it is amazing) I only know that personally my Tacori setting was around $2,800. I told my DF that this was the setting for me and I rather have a smaller diamond than a $500 setting with a larger/nicer stone (the jeweler said often girls request CZ just so they can get the setting of their dreams and upgrade to a diamond later). The setting you like has more sapphires than diamonds so you get a great look with a lower price. Keep us updated!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
plus if you have it made in WG you can save there. My jeweler said he would closely "mimick" my Tacori for $1,500 ion white gold and no name brand but my DF really wanted to get me the Tacori.
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked at Davidheming.com and the setting you like is $1,915 in white gold and $3025 in platinum. Soooo....I think the white gold one is very doable for your budget which is great if it is your dream ring for her. Here is the description from the website on this "charlotte" e-ring "The Kirk Kara signature hand-engraving and millgrained edges accent this piece. Four sapphire baguettes (0.70 ctw) are set along the top of the shank. Between the bauettes sit round, pavé set, diamonds and two bezel set diamonds below the center stone (0.09 ctw). Available in Platinum or 18k White Gold." Look at the side with the surprise diamond!!!

1691.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good find Tacori!

I am loving that set! All the custom foibles around here lately have me looking at good old name brands with newfound respect.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks deco, I know what it is like to have your heart set on a designer and it is awesome that kirk kara OFFERS their settings in 18kt WG. The wedding band was very reasonable too. If she has her set on an unique e-ring I think this is a great choice.

Donavian

Rough_Rock
Wow...I guess all I can really say is thank you...Hrmm...You mentioned going with white gold...how durable is it? Besides price and the obvious strength differences between the platinum and the white gold, what are downfalls of each? Or strengths?...I really just don''t want to take the "cheap way out" but still having to purchase a center stone will always limit options...

Donavian

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people actually prefer WG. It stays shiny longer, is easier to fix, doesn''t need to be polished, is lighter, doesn''t scratch as easily, and obviously less expensive. Some people prefer PLT because it never has to be "redipped", always stays white, the metal is displaced not lost when it is scratched, doesn''t "pit" like gold can, is heavier, and some people like the patina that developes over the years. There has been tons of thread on this. You can do a search for more answers. I always told my FI that if it was between PLT or a nicer diamond (if a choice had to be made) I rather take the nicer diamond. I think WG is a great alternative if you are on a budget, especially if you want a designer ring. I don''t think personally you are "cheaping out" by going with WG.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results