shape
carat
color
clarity

I know this is super early but….Halloween

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We decorate - not a heap, but a little. And we set up a table at the end of our path, and sit behind it together all evening, handing out candy. We get quite a few trick-or-treaters - over 100 each year - tho this is nothing to when we lived in a super flat, super friendly and safe neighborhood in NY, which people used to bus into each Halloween. The first year we were there, plus parents, we got over 2,000 people, and well over 500 kids. It was like one, huge block party! I was so sad when we moved to Boston and only got 130 the first year - until I realized that, compared to normal - 130 was a lot! Last year, tho, we had about 200.

Anyway, we decorate because it makes the neighborhood a more fun, friendly place. We also play Halloween appropriate music out on the street - lots of rattling chains and Michael Jackson's Thriller!

Here are a few snaps. What you can't see is orange and purple lights around both the front doors. And our candy bucket is pumpkin shaped, and we have a spidery, silicon hand that we have reaching out the bowl! It's a lot of fun.

I mostly included this first photo so you could see the gorgeous New England fall sky!

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

Witches flying past our garage!
IMG_2042.jpg

We have three lots of these throughout the front yeard, and they're each lit up with lights shining up at them. Gives a nice, spooky effect, without being actually scary.

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

We only decorate for Halloween 2 weeks ahead of time. The day after Halloween, we take most of the decorations down, but leave the pumpkins on the two front doorsteps, and switch out the wreath on the front door for a fall-themed wreath. The turkey stays. :))

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes this is happening now - I buy online in advance bc my neighborhood is so busy and $75 is actually a modest amount! It’s ver fun and lively if you’re in an active neighborhood but it’s also a bit sad bc growing up my neighborhood was “normal” - not busy but not empty. But today where I grew up it’s deserted bc people drive to busy spots. I think this happens a lot now.

You’re correct in that I couldn’t do it for $75 now, which is why I have lately shut the lights. With Covid and a new puppy and all…

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We hand out candy but don’t decorate the house for Halloween. We just put a couple pumpkins out but haven’t even done that the past few years with Covid.

My grandniece was telling me what she wants her costume to look like this past week. I spent last night looking at costumes. I can’t wait to show them to her and let her pick out what she wants. Tonight I’ll start looking for a Ninja Turtle, a shark or a dinosaur costume for my grandnephew. I’m so thrilled my niece lets me do this.

Your decorations look so cute @mrs-b.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love all your decorations @mrs-b and your house is beautiful as well!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love Halloween. We usually have a huge costume and decorating contest at work, and I decorate at home as well, and usually hand out candy to the trick or treaters from my porch. My kids are now adults, but when younger I used to take them trick or treating while my husband handed out candy at home. We live in a small gated community of 125 houses and get a LOT of trick or treaters because it is a quiet and safe neighborhood.

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpeg
    IMG_1393.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 9

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to bring a dish to a Halloween party, not my own idea - I saw it via one of the cooking programmes or FB site/group.

An upside down fruity cheesecake, with the top layer made out of loosely packed crumbled biscuit mixed with melted butter and baked.

Scatter the top with dark chocolate fudges shaped like t**ds, so that the dish looks like t**ds on sand, if you know what I mean! :lol-2:

Another idea, which is a naughty one, was to spray curly packing foam chips orange and pass them on as Cheetos. :lol-2:

I would probably enjoy making Halloween-themed food to bring to a party.

However, I have watched too many horror films to enjoy Halloween, sorry!

I am a wimp when it comes to horror films - don't like them.

DK :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for the reminder--to look for those purple and orange string lights! Didn't find them last year.....

cheers--Sharon

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
My younger son’s birthday is October 29th so we always had Halloween themed birthday parties for him. He was actually due on Halloween and weighed in at 11lb 3oz so he was a great pumpkin! We have always lived in rural areas so never had trick or treating other than the neighbor kids. I had fun making my kids costumes when they were young. Picture is older son’s first Halloween as one of the 101 Dalmatians. IMG_1453.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adorable @Piper70! How cool to be born so close to Halloween! I wanted to get married on Halloween and have our reception be a Halloween party, that would be so fun, but DH said no :confused2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last year it was not too bad! Year before it was in the 90's for Halloween (gross!) so it can sometimes be a toss up.

Last year we had plenty of kids. I had no candy left. People also brought their pups by and I always have puppy treats! It was great and it was high 70's so quite nice. Year before, not so many but being as hot as it was (I think it set a record) I start buying candy in mid september, depending on what I get. Year before I gave out limited edition kitkat bars and skittles + coloring books and Xmen pens.

I sit in the driveway and give out candy 6-9pm or until everything runs out.

And I have a reputation to keep up, as I'm known for giving out good candy. This is not all of it...I had a box of giant lollipops that arrived just before I started to give stuff out (I also do non candy for those who can't have it)

:mrgreen:

20221013_204934.jpg

B

Betty Baguette

a super fun and spooky Halloween decorating video!:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in awe of your 11 lb 3 oz baby @Piper70 !

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
It’s so nice to read there is so much love for Halloween. Also love your pictures @monarch64, the new holiday decor will look so cute in your new house!

I forgot all about pumpkin carving, we usually do that ahead of time but maybe doing it on Halloween will be the new tradition. We also watch The Great Pumpkin, so that can be another thing.

It‘s so weird when you have a teenager who all of a sudden is not part of the plan on a holiday. Don’t get me wrong, happy for him but I wish we could rewind the clock.

Thank you for all the ideas!

I love autumn and Halloween too!

When we were teenagers and technically "to big" to go trick-or-treating, my best girlfriends and I were so sad because we loved to dress up and go out and be part of the evening. So, we organized a canned-food trick-or-treat event with our school's Key Club. We made a flyer that we put on people's front doors about a week ahead of time. Then on Halloween night, we dressed up and pulled a wagon around and collected canned food for the local food bank. I still remember how much fun it was and how we were able to extend our trick-or-treating until we graduated from high school, and we helped people in the process. A win-win all around. (Oh, and lot of people gave us candy too!)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Carving elaborate pumpkins was always my fav! I'd plan in advance and carve up to 4 pumpkins of all shapes and sizes. Fun (old) times but my hands don't work like they used to so I just buy them and adore them whole . LOL.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bought a plush Snoopy Pumpkin light up pillow! SO CUTE! I'm obsessing about Halloween!!! (thanks @YadaYadaYada LOL) Already looked at WS and PB websites.....Cute stuff but spendy!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halloween is one of those holidays that is so fun to decorate @canuk-gal. Glad you have found some fun decorations, I do love Snoopy!

B

Betty Baguette

This woman used to have a show on Netflix, and now she's big on YouTube. She's far more creative than almost everyone in HGTV-land, and incredibly ghoulish.

Here she's decorating/restoring one of the bedrooms in her 1860's Victorian mansion (with the assistance of her adorable kitties). Halloween Spookiness!!!
:eek2::eek2::eek2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

So I went to the Halloween shoppe and the lights I wanted were already sold out! More will come in the next two weeks or so. Anyway as I was walking out a GIANT spider jumped out at me (motion sensor) and I SCREAMED at the top of my lungs! I was sufficiently embarrassed.

The store was packed! People love poking around this stuff!

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halloween is just around the corner and I do see more people getting in the spirit this year (moreso in years past)

I will only be doing the usual candy, I don't decorate. This year for non candy eaters, I found the giant bubble wands at Target for a dollar. I got 12, so those will be cool. In addition, walmart had giant coloring books on sale for 50 cents. I only got 10 (thats what they had) but still, fun for kids who can't eat the sweet stuff.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
HI:

Thanks for the reminder--to look for those purple and orange string lights! Didn't find them last year.....

cheers--Sharon

I wish I had checked this thread earlier! I just purchased lights for our home which are color, flashing, and timing programable - so our Halloween and Christmas (and Valentine's day and 4th of July) lights will be the same ones just programed differently and not taken down.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had checked this thread earlier! I just purchased lights for our home which are color, flashing, and timing programable - so our Halloween and Christmas (and Valentine's day and 4th of July) lights will be the same ones just programed differently and not taken down.

I have lights on all year round!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My sista sent me pictures of pink pumpkins!!!! I wanted THEM ALL!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halloween is very big in my town. The entire cul de sac has been decorated since mid September. I think since it gets dark so early , from now to St Patrick’s we all put up lights for every occasion! It puts us all in a much better mood! My oldest granddaughter has her birthday on Halloween so double the fun. This year she is going to Disney World for the Magic Kingdom Mickey Halloween party on the Sunday before.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halloween is very big in my town. The entire cul de sac has been decorated since mid September. I think since it gets dark so early , from now to St Patrick’s we all put up lights for every occasion! It puts us all in a much better mood! My oldest granddaughter has her birthday on Halloween so double the fun. This year she is going to Disney World for the Magic Kingdom Mickey Halloween party on the Sunday before.

Yes. Lights.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results