shape
carat
color
clarity

I know I''m late to the party but I just got my CHI straightener

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I know there''s probably better products out there now, but I finally bought a CHI hair straightener and I love it!!! What products can you recommend to protect against thermal damage? This thing gets sooo hot!!! Do you use the products from CHI?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE my chi! I just lent mine to a friend and using mine once convinced her to buy it. I use something from chi b/c Italia told me to
3.gif
There was an old thread about it. Can''t remember what it is called. I am sure she will chime in.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh, I''m in the market for a new one! I just use Phytodefrisant (sp?) after conditioning and that seems to protect my hair.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just got my second CHI. I burned through my first one (eventually). My new one came with CHI silk infusion. I LOVE it!! I even use it when I''m not straightening my hair and it keeps my curls in tact.

I dislike all Redken straightening products (although I love nearly everything else Redken makes). They just make my hair too straw-like. I''ve tried several drug store brands and for the most part, they just can''t get my hair the way I like.

Oh, welcome to the club!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I was so settled on a Chi, just had to bring myself to spend the money. Then by chance I found a different high end brand (can''t remember name right now) with the nano technology in it on discount. Works just as well as the Chi I tried before I bought this one. It''s so amazing to me how this one is only 1" wide, but it works sooooo much better than my cheap one from Target that''s over 2" wide, haha. I love my straightener now.

I''d love to know a good product to use as well! Are you looking for a straightening product or a frizz controlling product? I''d love to have something to help blow dry it straightern, help against the frizz, and help keep it straight in the humidity.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Chi silk infusion is probably one of the softest serums I''ve played with.

I think Chi is absolutely the best straightener on the market. Hands down. They were ground breaking when it came to using ceramic plates the way they were intended to be used...and have continued to dominate the market with anti-bacterial plates, nano technology...nothing out there right now tops it!

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
love my chi!!!!!!!!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Italia, what do you think of the Chi Volumizing Iron?

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I think it really depends on your hair.

If you have pretty straight hair with a little wave, etc. and use it more for perfection ;-) then using the CHI silk infusion is good or Redken Smooth down is fine.

If you have REALLY curly hair (which requires the CHI to stay on your hair longer)- then using a thermal setting mist, like Redken hot sets 22, etc is better for your hair.

I have been to many different salons have had several stylists tell me this. They said the liquidy, smooth down ones evaporate quicker, which is why it is fine for people with relatively straight-ish hair. The hot sets one is more like a hair spray and protects the hair after repeatedly putting the flat iron on your hair.

I have used both. My hair used to be REALLY curly and would dry out really fast because of how much I straightened it (w/out product and with smooth down) and so I used the hot sets. Now, for whatever reason, my hair is pretty straight and so I just use it to get rid of frizzies and really only need the smooth down. The hotsets does keep it perfectly straight all day though- even in humid Florida. (probably bc it is like hairspray). ha.

Hopefully that makes sense. I promise I'm not a Redken sales person LOL those are the only two products I could think of on the top of my head. :)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 8:28:28 PM
Author: shimmer
I think that for someone looking to do their own hair, thats an excellent tool. Often times woman get discouraged when it comes to styling their hair because hot tools are complicated to use and its almost not worth the struggle sometimes. So anything that makes your job easier I''m all for.

Personally, I wouldn''t buy it. Anything I could accomplish with domed plates I can achieve with a curling iron or even my original Chi. So for me, it''s not a priority...but that doesn''t mean it''s not an excellent product.

However, the absolute best way to achieve beautiful volume in your hair is to dry it 80% using a flat wrap technique, and for the last 20% of the moisture, use an appropriately sized ceramic round brush. If your ends need an addition smoothing, lightly run an iron over them all the while avoiding the root and mid-strand.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 8:35:58 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Date: 2/27/2009 8:28:28 PM
Author: shimmer
I think that for someone looking to do their own hair, thats an excellent tool. Often times woman get discouraged when it comes to styling their hair because hot tools are complicated to use and its almost not worth the struggle sometimes. So anything that makes your job easier I''m all for.

Personally, I wouldn''t buy it. Anything I could accomplish with domed plates I can achieve with a curling iron or even my original Chi. So for me, it''s not a priority...but that doesn''t mean it''s not an excellent product.

However, the absolute best way to achieve beautiful volume in your hair is to dry it 80% using a flat wrap technique, and for the last 20% of the moisture, use an appropriately sized ceramic round brush. If your ends need an addition smoothing, lightly run an iron over them all the while avoiding the root and mid-strand.
Great advice. I am horrible at using a round brush, but maybe it''s worth another shot. However, I do have a horrible habit of straightening my entire head, because if I only straighten the bottom with my CHI it looks silkier than the top. :)

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Italia, what is the "flat wrap technique?"

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 8:30:02 PM
Author: Definitely, Maybe
I think it really depends on your hair.

If you have pretty straight hair with a little wave, etc. and use it more for perfection ;-) then using the CHI silk infusion is good or Redken Smooth down is fine.

If you have REALLY curly hair (which requires the CHI to stay on your hair longer)- then using a thermal setting mist, like Redken hot sets 22, etc is better for your hair.

I have been to many different salons have had several stylists tell me this. They said the liquidy, smooth down ones evaporate quicker, which is why it is fine for people with relatively straight-ish hair. The hot sets one is more like a hair spray and protects the hair after repeatedly putting the flat iron on your hair.

I have used both. My hair used to be REALLY curly and would dry out really fast because of how much I straightened it (w/out product and with smooth down) and so I used the hot sets. Now, for whatever reason, my hair is pretty straight and so I just use it to get rid of frizzies and really only need the smooth down. The hotsets does keep it perfectly straight all day though- even in humid Florida. (probably bc it is like hairspray). ha.

Hopefully that makes sense. I promise I'm not a Redken sales person LOL those are the only two products I could think of on the top of my head. :)
When you see a number on the Redken that is your guide to the strength of that product...22 is extremely strong and it is actually a hairspray. At beauty shows Redkens highlights this product as the solution for long lasting updos or formal styles.

If you have "hard to manage" hair that might need a little extra love...I would use the serum in sections, and not try to tackle your hair as whole. Starting at the nape and working upwards. By dividing and conquering your hair, you're going to be using the right amount of product required to achieve your style.

I still prefer serums to spray when it comes to managing hair. The reason being, when you apply serum and then add heat, you're steaming your hair. You're putting the good stuff in. You're locking the in the shine and healthy feeling. With spray, which is sticky, it tends to coat the hair and that's bad long term if you're not using a clarifying shampoo to strip it down.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 8:44:40 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
Italia, what is the ''flat wrap technique?''
Flat wrapping is where you take a vent brush, and moving around the head in a circle, you smooth the hair to shape of your head while blow drying. This will smooth you from root to tip, and you will also avoid blowing the cuticle up--which will add shine since it''s not the hair strand isn''t "ruffled" in the process.

If you''re planning on following up with your flat iron, you can flat wrap till the hair is 100% dry...but in salons, we use the 80/20 formula.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaaah. Thanks Italia!!!

niccia

Shiny_Rock
I love my chi too. I have had it for about 6 years now and never had a problem. I also have a hai and that is my third favorite. My most favorite ( and I have tried them all - I have straightened my hair almost every day for 11 years) is the Sedu iron that folica sells. It straightens my hair as well as the chi, but seems to leave it even more silky for some reason. I also have the Sedu dryer and it works great too (doesn''t dry my hair any faster like they claim, but much less frizzier). It is amazing how much silkier these straighteners leave your hair than straighteners like the babyliss. I like the rounded edges of the chi for doing my bangs.
The only serum I occasionally use is Aveda Hang Straight with a bit of the Aveda humectant mixed in. I will have to try the silk infusion.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
The only Chi tool I still have is my blow dryer. I gave my Chi iron to a friend a while back because I bought a GHD IV.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I know it''s not my thread, but thanks italia for the great advice. You have certainly been very informative. I really do appreciate it.

niccia

Shiny_Rock
Penn, how does the GHD IV compare to the chi in your opinion? That''s one of the only brands I haven''t tried yet.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 10:11:40 PM
Author: niccia
Penn, how does the GHD IV compare to the chi in your opinion? That''s one of the only brands I haven''t tried yet.

I think the GHD works better for people with thick and curly hair. I think the Chi is great, but I think the temp controlling that the GHD has makes it perform better for my hair.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought one, but I have never used it. I''m kind of afraid to. The last time I tried to straighten my hair with a flat iron, it came out looking really weird - kind of like straw. I did buy a CHI blowdryer (recomended by Italia - thanks!!!), and it has done wonderful things for my hair.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I have a GHD and use it with the CHI serum. My hair is extremely thick/wavy/fairly coarse and my hairdresser said that the 2" sedu would have been better for my hair type. I am considering a T3 hairdryer to help speed the process. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and sometimes it is very difficult to blow out and fix my hair so I am trying to speed up and simplify the process. Does anyone use the T3 dryer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results