shape
carat
color
clarity

i just submitted my rank list!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
for the NRMP match
23.gif
. Match day is March 16th at 11:00 AM (11:30?)

I need good vibes from the pricescope fairy for me to get my first choice!!!! I made a risky gamble to make sure I stay in Houston and if things go wrong...i may end up not matching at all
32.gif

my stomach is in knots and will likely stay that way until March 16th at 11:00 AM (11:30?).
14.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel retarded but what is a rank list, what is NRMP and what is a match? Actually what is this whole post about?! hehehee.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this for your residency?? You are studying to be a doctor right?? Oh good luck, I will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed and knocking on wood for you. Sending my most positive vibes your way!!!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh good luck! You will be in my prayers. *hugs*

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
lol..ok i feel dumb. i've been so submerged in this that i forget not everyone in the world is doing the same thing! After med school, you have to do residency. To get placed in a residency, you enter a computer system controlled my the National Resident Matching Program.

Step 1) Submit your application to X number of programs
Step 2) Programs that like your application call you for an interview
Step 3a) Once interviews are done, you rank the programs you like in order of prefernce (the rank list)
Step 3b) Programs rank students they like in order of preference
Step 4) All of this info is dumped into some algorithim and students and programs are matched based on these lists
Step 5) At the same time all over the country, all 4th yr medstudents get a little envelope and open it to find out where they'll be for the next 3-7 years of their life.
23.gif

There are tons of rules that regulate this. Students and programs are not allowed to make under the table deals (you rank me high and i'll rank you high) THis would enefit the student in an obvious way, the schools benefit because it looks good for them to fill all their spots. for example, if they have 30 open spots, and rank 45 students, but only 27 students are placed with them/ranked them high enough, they are left with 3 open spots which is bad for their reputation.

Black monday is the monday before match day where students who don't match with any program are called to let them know, and given a list of unfilled spots and telephone number -- you basically sit and do telephone interviews until someone accepts you into their program.
32.gif

once you match into a program, you are contractually bound to go there. no looking back.
23.gif

so basically, i'm posting about how i've just hit the submit button to a computer who will dictate a majority of my life for the next 3 years, which also influences where i'll be for 3 yrs after that (fellowship-specializing after residency)
6.gif
. and i'm nervous
14.gif

eta: scratch nervous...downright scared
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yikes ginger!! but you guys live in houston and you own a home...would you potentially have to move away?

i'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you that you get what you wanted!! at least it seems you don't have TOO long to wait for results! good luck!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Ginger, best of luck!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh Ginger!

I hope you get your first choice!! What will you be doing your residency in? I knew it was about that time- I have been seeing our current residents interviewing the"potentials" at the hospital I work at. Best of luck to you!!!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Sending you FANTASTIC vibes Ginger! You WILL end up matching, probably with your first choice!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck to you - now that it has been submitted it is out of your control. No need to worry and bash around about if for the next few weeks. Won''t change a thing - just hope for the best possible scenario for yourself. I''m sure it will all work out. What an exciting time in your life - the next step in a wonderful career!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Good luck!! I can understand how stressful this must be for you and I''m sending tons of good vibes your way!!
9.gif

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Ginger, I have faith that you''ll be fine!!! :) I''m so excited for you, and I can''t wait to hear your good news on Match Day!!!
36.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
oooh how exciting and yet scary!!! one of my best friends from high school submitted his too... he was agonizing over it... it was basically down to harvard vs UCSF for the top spots... I know, poor baby, but still, a tough choice since he''s from LA originally and wants to stay in CA, but harvard?! well, it''s freaking harvard!!
3.gif

but good luck! I hope you get your top pick!
36.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I know you are on pins and needles.

I always watch the news on Match Day. I love to watch you guys getting the results.

(I''m in Houston too)

Good luck and breathe slowly!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
oh ginger- I know how scary it must be waiting for match day when you know where you want to be! I will probably be in the same situation in two years, since my fiance has a great job here. I hope it works out for you- sending good med school vibes your way!

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck! Let us know what happens!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Good luck Ginger! Keep us posted! Do you know what you want to specialize in yet?

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the good vibes everyone! i know its silly but i feel a tiny bit better knowing there are lots of ppl sending me good vibes!!! not a hard-core karmic/cosmic believer, but i always figure it may help and can''t hurt!
1.gif

mara - yup, that''s why i''m so nervous! i want to stay in houston so so so badly! FI has a great job here and tons of networking type contacts here, both of our very large families to whom we are both very close to are here, and our very new, very much wanted, very much want to stay in home is here!! add to that a med center that is world renown and an awesome program with a great hospital system to train in...all signs point me to staying here! i really really really hope i don''t get sent elsewhere...that would plain out SUCK.

dani, snlee - i''m doing internal medicine residency, then hoping to specialize in hematology/oncology. which is ANOTHER reason i want to stay in houston. baylor has a great heme/onc fellowship and of course, there''s MD Anderson, can''t beat that!!

thanks agin for the crossed fingers and wood-knocking! don''t forget me on match day!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck!! Sending lots of good vibes your way..I know how nerve wrecking all this can be!

coconut

Shiny_Rock
Oh good luck good luck!
I really hope you get your first choice!!
I am truly sending all my good vibes to you!!!

I am actually applying to all TX medical schools this coming summer.....
Would love to go to Baylor, or UT houston since my parents live in Houston.. but I''ll be happy wherever.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Ginger, I know you have nothing to worry about! *hugs*

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Good luck! My sister just submitted hers too. I am looking forward to attending the match day breakfast :)

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I will do the Match Day Dance.

It is a happy dance and it will help you out. :) YOu will be fine my dear!

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Good Luck, Good Luck, Good Luck!! Try to keep yourself busy looking at diamonds the next few weeks, so that the time goes by quickly!
2.gif
Let us know how it goes!!!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Just saw this. Good luck Ginger. Do they still do a FYBIGMI party to celebrate? My brother''s was a wild time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results