shape
carat
color
clarity

I Just Finished My Taxes....Are You Done Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Whew, I can''t believe I''m done with our taxes....e-filed and everything! We owe BIG TIME and I applied for the payment plan...this way it won''t eat into my gemstone budget....am I bad, or what?
20.gif

Lori

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, but I just have to sign and put it in the mail. I should do that tomorrow...

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I hope you''re getting a BIG refund!!!

Lori

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
We mailed ours in about a week ago. I''m the type of person who likes to get them done as soon as I get all the pertinent material, but for the past few years, dh''s dad has been doing them for us since he''s a CPA. He doesn''t usually get them done until the beginning of April, which honestly, makes the control freak in me quite nervous, but I suppose it''s a small price to pay for having them done for free!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gah! Thank you for reminding me! I have never waited this long to do them. Oy.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re done & were relieved that we didn''t owe quite as much as we''d feared! Went out to dinner to celebrate last Sat!
3.gif
18.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
I am 95% complete. I''m just waiting on word from our accountant if we have to include some of the business side of things into our personal taxes and what the impact is if so. I knew we''d owe this year and when I was halfway done we owed about $900 between Federal and State. By the time I got the rest of our deductions entered, I had us down to just under $400 total that we owe. I''m stoked.

We haven''t filed yet, but I need to get it done in the next couple days because our schedules get crazy and I do not want to forget to file!

MrsG

Shiny_Rock
We are done. And unfortunately we owe quite a bit this year
7.gif
There go those studs I oh so wanted for mother''s day
39.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Finished and e-filed the first week of February... however, since I'm getting married, this is the last year that my tax fiing will be a mindless task. Well, for the first year or two.

ETA: Didn't owe anything, but got a nice chunck back. For now, until I have children, I have a crap load taken out of my check.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
CPA says they are done. We pay an obscene amt in taxes, makes me
ill to see how careless our government is with our money.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had ours finished a few weeks ago. FI got a nice return. Me not so much...but at least I don''t owe!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 9:15:32 AM
Author: meresal
Finished and e-filed the first week of February... however, since I''m getting married, this is the last year that my tax fiing will be a mindless task. Well, for the first year or two.

ETA: Didn''t owe anything, but got a nice chunck back. For now, until I have children, I have a crap load taken out of my check.
We do the same thing.
1.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
yes, I wanted to get an early jump on the refund money since our state was running out!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
e-filed last week and waiting for the return. Then finding "the" diamond (know the setting I want) and ordering my new ring!
36.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 10:11:31 AM
Author: soocool
e-filed last week and waiting for the return. Then finding ''the'' diamond (know the setting I want) and ordering my new ring!
36.gif

I like this use of a tax return!

I got mine back a couple of weeks ago, but it went straight to the bursar''s office. Hooray, school?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I owe a fortune as I made about 30% more than usual last year on an out of state assignment. I''ll pay in cash. No way would I have a payment plan with the Govt. and give them interest
23.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finished and e-filed the first week of February... however, since I''m getting married, this is the last year that my tax fiing will be a mindless task. Well, for the first year or two.

ETA: Didn''t owe anything, but got a nice chunck back. For now, until I have children, I have a crap load taken out of my check.
Why do you pay more when you can instead put the money in an interest bearing account?

I did our taxes last month and am suppose to get the check this week! For the 2006 & 2007 we owed because DH was self employed. This year we''re FINALLY getting something back!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad''s CPA did mine and charged me $100 to tell me I owe $108.
20.gif

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
I did and I have to pay in for the first time ever, ugh. Its a nice chunk too, I''m going to go on a payment plan as well.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finished and e-filed the first week of February... however, since I'm getting married, this is the last year that my tax fiing will be a mindless task. Well, for the first year or two.
Yeah... this year (first year married) has been yucky.
14.gif
My singleton taxes were SO EASY!! I knocked 'em out in an hour or so. This year... not so much.

I haven't done state yet. Grr.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
We owed too, but I''d actually rather that than getting a ton of money back - as DH said, at least we got to keep the interest on that money rather than the government. Its a wrench having to pay it, but we had plenty in savings to cover it, so its not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Our taxes have pretty much been complicated every year for some reason or another (stock options, graduate fellowships, etc...) but this year''s (i.e. the ones we''ll do in early 2010) will be one of the worst - we''ll each only be working for part of the year, plus I''ll have a partial year of graduate school, plus we''ll be moving to a different state mid-year, so that will be lovely and super complicated
3.gif
20.gif
14.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 11:25:19 AM
Author: MC

ETA: Didn't owe anything, but got a nice chunck back. For now, until I have children, I have a crap load taken out of my check.
Why do you pay more when you can instead put the money in an interest bearing account?

I did our taxes last month and am suppose to get the check this week! For the 2006 & 2007 we owed because DH was self employed. This year we're FINALLY getting something back!
LOL... MC if there were a savings account out there right now that was paying an interest rate worth the hassle of sending the governemnt money, I would be all for it.
Right now, admittedly, it is strictly out of convenience.

ETA: Now that I think about, MC, this really isn't a bad idea... I just don't like the idea of having to hold onto money. Do you all keep everything and then pay it all at once? Or just pay less than your bracket, and then pay the difference?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 12:35:32 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
We owed too, but I'd actually rather that than getting a ton of money back - as DH said, at least we got to keep the interest on that money rather than the government. Its a wrench having to pay it, but we had plenty in savings to cover it, so its not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Our taxes have pretty much been complicated every year for some reason or another (stock options, graduate fellowships, etc...) but this year's (i.e. the ones we'll do in early 2010) will be one of the worst - we'll each only be working for part of the year, plus I'll have a partial year of graduate school, plus we'll be moving to a different state mid-year, so that will be lovely and super complicated
3.gif
20.gif
14.gif
But Amber... no more state income tax!!!
9.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I filed mine in February. Did not owe, but didn''t get a good refund either, just a little bit to basically pay for the tax preparation fees. Too bad.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 12:37:50 PM
LOL... MC if there were a savings account out there right now that was paying an interest rate worth the hassle of sending the governemnt money, I would be all for it.

ETA: Now that I think about, MC, this really isn''t a bad idea... I just don''t like the idea of having to hold onto money. Do you all keep everything and then pay it all at once? Or just pay less than your bracket, and then pay the difference?
How about an online checking account? I have the first $50K of mine at First Arkansas Bank and Trust earning 4.44%. If you have less than $50K, say $25K or $10K, there are other banks that offer checking at higher interest rates.

Pick your poison HERE They''re all FDIC insured
1.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock

Ditto exactly!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did ours weeks ago. We owe the federal a nice chunk. We are supposed to get back from Calif State, but won''t see it.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 1:30:50 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Date: 4/9/2009 12:37:50 PM

ETA: Now that I think about, MC, this really isn't a bad idea... I just don't like the idea of having to hold onto money. Do you all keep everything and then pay it all at once? Or just pay less than your bracket, and then pay the difference?
How about an online checking account? I have the first $50K of mine at First Arkansas Bank and Trust earning 4.44%. If you have less than $50K, say $25K or $10K, there are other banks that offer checking at higher interest rates.

Pick your poison HERE They're all FDIC insured
1.gif
PP, thanks for the links. Would you believe that I was a financial advisor... in my defense I specialized in 401k's. When it comes to the government I've always erred on the side of safety. Let them have it, and give me back what you don't want
12.gif

Do you have $0 withheld then? and then pay the total at the end of the year? In my case, I pay such a low amount, comparable of course, that this would be my only option if I actaully wanted to see a substantial amount of interest earned.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Good God no, I declare 0 and have them take out the maximum and I still have to pay in
32.gif

If I declared 1, I shudder to think how much I''d owe.

You don''t want to owe too much or the IRS will penalize you.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
The accountant just called 10 minutes ago to let me know our taxes are done! We prefer to keep the money in our account as opposed to the government''s, so it''s not uncommon for us to owe. D only worked for half of 2008 and paid taxes on his full salary, so we got money back this year, but not as much as I thought we would have...

I miss the simple single days of e-filing, too. We started using an accountant last year because it was the first year we were married and we weren''t sure if we should file married, married filing separately, etc., plus we buy and sell stock now and it''s too big of a headache for me to file myself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results