shape
carat
color
clarity

I hope pet cats don't start spreading COVID-19

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A tiger in a New York zoo caught C19 from a zoo employee.

No, I have not seen any reports of C19 in pet cats, but imagine the implications if pet cats, birds, or dogs become a vector for this virus. :eek2:
We love our fur and feather babies.

Last edited:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I saw that article last night. Quite shocking! I immediately thought of house cats also.
I have always kept my cats indoors. It might be a good time for those who let their cats outside to start keeping them inside as well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess we shouldn't be surprised this virus can live in non-humans.

Didn't it come from a wild bat?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a report of a pet cat contracting it - was ill for nine days, recovered. I’ll try to find it. Edit* Actually I think @missy posted it here on PS... Somewhere...

As soon as people make the connection to their cats - we’re going to have a Massive Unwanted Cat Problem. Exacerbated by the fact that people have been adopting and fostering in record numbers lately thanks to being stuck at home all day. All local shelters around here have closed intake (with exclusions for certain exceptions)... Which means that Massive Unwanted Cat Problem is going to become a Massive Abandoned Pet Problem.

We’ve already cleaned out and partitioned the shed in expectation of some of those abandoned furbabies wandering our way :(sad

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this may turn out very very badly for pet cats. :(sad

But if they do become a proven vector, and I hate to say it, it's us or them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can draw no accurate conclusions at this time. Here is what we do know.

• If you are not ill with COVID-19, you can interact with your animals as you normally would, including feeding and otherwise caring for them. You should continue to practice good hygiene during those interactions (e.g., wash hands before and after interacting with your animals, including handling of food, supplies, and waste; keep feed, water, and any supplies used to deliver them clean; remove soiled bedding and replace as appropriate).
  • Out of an abundance of caution and until more is known about this virus, if you are ill with COVID-19 you should restrict contact with pets and other animals, just as you would restrict your contact with other people. When possible, have another member of your household or business take care of feeding and otherwise caring for any animals, including pets. If you have a service animal or you must care for your animals, including pets, wear a cloth facemask; don’t share food, kiss, or hug them; and wash your hands before and after any contact with them.
  • There have been no reports of pets or livestock becoming ill with COVID-19 in the United States.

At this point in time, there is also no evidence that domestic animals, including pets and livestock, can spread COVID-19 to people.

@yssie my sister said that article I posted is not accurate because of what the medical personnel did to infect that cat. :(
So we cannot extrapolate from that one example.

Meooow.
428D5B55-5B18-43DF-93ED-0390E3118D73.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy.
That's somewhat reassuring.

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shale is an indoor cat only. So if anything I’m worried I would give it to
him. I hope I don’t get it and if I do I hope I can’t give it to him cause if I’m sick I’ll definitely want to cuddle him for comfort!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can draw no accurate conclusions at this time. Here is what we do know.

• If you are not ill with COVID-19, you can interact with your animals as you normally would, including feeding and otherwise caring for them. You should continue to practice good hygiene during those interactions (e.g., wash hands before and after interacting with your animals, including handling of food, supplies, and waste; keep feed, water, and any supplies used to deliver them clean; remove soiled bedding and replace as appropriate).
  • Out of an abundance of caution and until more is known about this virus, if you are ill with COVID-19 you should restrict contact with pets and other animals, just as you would restrict your contact with other people. When possible, have another member of your household or business take care of feeding and otherwise caring for any animals, including pets. If you have a service animal or you must care for your animals, including pets, wear a cloth facemask; don’t share food, kiss, or hug them; and wash your hands before and after any contact with them.
  • There have been no reports of pets or livestock becoming ill with COVID-19 in the United States.

At this point in time, there is also no evidence that domestic animals, including pets and livestock, can spread COVID-19 to people.

@yssie my sister said that article I posted is not accurate because of what the medical personnel did to infect that cat. :(
So we cannot extrapolate from that one example.

Meooow.
428D5B55-5B18-43DF-93ED-0390E3118D73.jpeg

Thank you missy!! I’m really really glad to read that and have it posted here publicly for anyone who might stumble onto this thread ::)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lucky Tibby has desided he likes sleeping inside now
our cats do not have other human or cat friends
I always thought this was sad but its just as well now

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's particularly important to keep pets inside and away from other people and their pets and yards. It's best to assume that every human from another household is infected. We're not allowing our cat outside, and when we take our dog out to the yard or for walkies, she's on a short leash so that we have full control at all times and she cannot approach, nor be approached by, anyone else or their pets.

ETA: This means that, based on what we know at this time, if your cat stays inside at all times and doesn't need vet care, the only way that they could become infected, or simply carry the virus on their fur as a fomite, is if some person in the household brings the virus in. From what I've read, apparently ferrets can also contract the virus, in case anyone has a ferret.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I saw that article last night. Quite shocking! I immediately thought of house cats also.
I have always kept my cats indoors. It might be a good time for those who let their cats outside to start keeping them inside as well.

This is scary. I hope my two babies are safe being indoor only cats!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our dog is an indoor dog but if I catch the virus from her so be it. I'm staying with my baby until the very bitter end. Let's hope my immune system is strong enough!

There comes a point for me where it's better to be dead than live without certain joys.

ETA: I'm such a bad example of surviving an apocalypse! My sense of self preservation is shocking!

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200407122800691_COVER.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our dog is an indoor dog but if I catch the virus from her so be it. I'm staying with my baby until the very bitter end. Let's hope my immune system is strong enough!

There comes a point for me where it's better to be dead than live without certain joys.

ETA: I'm such a bad example of surviving an apocalypse! My sense of self preservation is shocking!

We'll be ok mellowyellogirl =)2

She is very beautiful

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cat keeps taking off his mask.
Apparently he thinks it doesn’t look cool, but insists that the rest of us wear masks so he doesn’t catch anything.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She is beautiful. As for not surviving an apocalypse I hear you. My dh and I used to joke (way before this happened) that I would never survive an apocalyptic event. Well here we are. So far I am hanging in there. And if I can you can too. We are in this together and we are going to make it through! Hang in there @mellowyellowgirl we can do this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently he thinks it doesn’t look cool, but insists that the rest of us wear masks so he doesn’t catch anything.
dsc04610.jpg

IDK if this is true or not but I am seeing cats in China wearing masks on social media.

mask_cat.jpg

They are forgetting the eyes. The virus can get through M.E.N. Mouth, eyes, nose.

Cats should be indoors especially now.
And keep a tight leash on your dogs too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
dsc04610.jpg

Gingers are the best
and very wise
Id do what he says

Tibby is sick and tired off all the covid 19 on the tv 24 7
he wants to watch something else and don't dare anyone change the channel ! 20200407_221802.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure where to put this but I noticed an increase in price of the canned cat food that I buy regularly. It went up by 50% in Chewy, so I shopped around for best pricing and bought 3 cases of 72 cans (at slightly above pre-lockdown price) so kitty will be set for another few months of quarantine. The manufacturer is based in Kansas so my guess is that their production is also affected.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure where to put this but I noticed an increase in price of the canned cat food that I buy regularly. It went up by 50% in Chewy, so I shopped around for best pricing and bought 3 cases of 72 cans (at slightly above pre-lockdown price) so kitty will be set for another few months of quarantine. The manufacturer is based in Kansas so my guess is that their production is also affected.

I am not even noticing prices anymore. I just feel relieved when I can get what I need especially pertaining to the cats and their supplies. I have (I think) 4 months of meds for Tommy which is more than what I have for my RX med supply lol. And cat food and litter I think we are A OK for our cats and food for the ferals.
For us I am not so sure...

As for prices I know I should be more cognizant but I am at the point I am weary and just relieved to find what I need when I find it if you kwim.

:/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I can say I am not worried about finances. My company has started laying off people and hub's too. I am fine financially but who knows how long this will go on, plus the depressed economy aftermath.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Im.having major problems and may have to go into town to our usual precovid supermarket we can't get a delivery from
I managed to get a box of kitten food - our last cat Tinky loved kitten food but these guys turned their nose up
The prices are killing me - even Tibby's cat sussage is 30% more exspensive

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't find my dog's usual brand of kibble so had to buy 20 tins of sardines and mince.

She's been eating kibble sparingly with sardines and mixed veg or omelette and mixed veg.

Times like this I'm thankful we weren't strict with her diet so she can process many things!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve tried to put shale on healthy wet and dry foods but he only likes to eat the cat equivalent to mcDonalds. Lol. We’ve compromised on a higher end dry product from Purina which he likes to eat and won’t later puke up. So luckily no issues acquiring it yet.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about cats but dogs love roast chooks (deboned of course) and mixed with veg that's like 5 meals.

Plus people are not hoarding roast chooks so always available in a pinch.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
As I have mentioned, my cats died of terrible coronavirus. Yes it is possible that it was COVID-19. We do not know. They do not regularly test here. My mom and I are autoimmune, most vita cause subclinical symptoms in us. When we do rarely get sick it causes almost system shutdown. Last time I needed three months of steroids. My mom’s husband dying of terminal brain cancer had a fever and went downhill.

The entire experience haunts me. What scares me the most is what will happen to cats. Most people already treat cats like they are worthless creatures. Some at least value dogs, very few people value cats and know them for the wonderful beings they are.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm worried about this too. My 16-year old Balinese is sick now and the will go to the vet (curbside drop, wait in car in parking lot, and then & cubside pickup) tomorrow at 8.30a - I am hoping it's only a UTI but at her age and given how frail she is, my stomach is in knots.

I agree that we are going to have a huge abandoned cat problem coming soon. :(

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know about cats but dogs love roast chooks (deboned of course) and mixed with veg that's like 5 meals.

Plus people are not hoarding roast chooks so always available in a pinch.

I actually had 5 frozen chickens in my freezer - i just got into a habit of buying one every week
Cats loooooooove chicken
They will do anything for chicken
this morning our cats had left over chicken breast while us humans will probably have a glass of water and a worm !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm worried about this too. My 16-year old Balinese is sick now and the will go to the vet (curbside drop, wait in car in parking lot, and then & cubside pickup) tomorrow at 8.30a - I am hoping it's only a UTI but at her age and given how frail she is, my stomach is in knots.

I agree that we are going to have a huge abandoned cat problem coming soon. :(

Best wishes for you both tomorrow

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results