shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a weird question . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
. . . would it bug you to wear a ring that used to be the engagement ring of a couple who got divorced? What if that couple was your parents?

Here''s the story: My parents married in 1972, and my Dad was in the military at the time. He was only 21, and my mom was only 18. So, they didn''t have a whole lot of money to spend on an e-ring. The ring he got my Mom was a diamond cluster ring. There were seven wee little round diamonds, and they were arranged in kind of a flower pattern, with one diamond in the center and the other six in a circle around it. (All of the diamonds are the same size.) So, viewed from a distance, it looked like a solitaire.

My parents then got divorced in 1981, when I was three years old. My Mom had the diamonds from her e-ring reset into a band, which she later gave to me. It just happens to fit my right pinky perfectly. I haven''t worn it, mainly because I kinda forgot I had it!
emembarrassed.gif

So, I''m thinking about wearing it regularly now. Not necessarily every day, but probably pretty often. Do you think that would just be weird, or should I go for it? I''m such a dork when it comes to diamonds that have a "history"! LOL!
41.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wouldn't bother me at all. If you like it and it fits put it on and enjoy it!

ETA: There have been several threads on how difficult (perhaps almost impossible) it is to even know that a stone you're buying loose from a jeweler wasn't pre-owned (they could always send it in to get an updated certificate) so virtually anything can have a history. Or, estate pieces of course come with some sort of "past," but IMHO that lends to the romance of them!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any issues with previous diamond lives. I''ve noticed in past threads there do seem to be a lot of ladies who are definitely attuned to diamond "karma"
6.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay ~ Thanks for the reply! You made a very good point about ANY diamond possibly having a history. And, in some cases, maybe it''s even a GOOD history!
21.gif

Purrf ~ Thanks! I think I might be one of the diamond-karma-phobes! LOL! In fact, I''m currently trying to get rid of my old e-ring diamond that was given to me by my XH.
14.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
No, not weird at all. You are a product of both of your parents and just because they got divorced doesn''t mean you can''t wear things from their marriage, right? I''m sure they would say that even though their marriage didn''t last, you made it all worthwhile, and the ring can be a symbol of the fact that your parents were happy to have you, IMO. Or just a pretty ring to wear on your pinky; it doesn''t need to have any emotional value. But I don''t see not wearing it because of a divorce.

Now, on the other hand, if the question were about wearing your husband''s ex-wife''s ring or something, that might be weird (depending on a lot of things), but that''s a totally different situation.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I would look at it completely differently--your mom created this ring for herself, so it's not in the same setting as the proposal ring, and I really commend that. Obviously SHE didn't mind the history of the diamonds enough to stop enjoying the ring!
2.gif
In fact, she wore this ring in a completely different phase of her life. I would just consider it a very thoughtful and sentimental gift from my mother in a setting she designed herself. The diamonds from your father isn't so bad, either, he is your dad! :)

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
well the ring is from a marriage of your PARENTS.. so i see nothing wrong with it at all.. i am not superstitious though!!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, NEL & CBS ~ Thanks, guys! I''m feeling better about it already!
9.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irish...I totally get why would ask the question...I don''t think it''s weird at all! (I would be the same way) I love the perspective some of the other PSers gave you...wear it and enjoy it!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I wouldn't want to wear the original ring of a marriage which ended in divorce as my own engagement ring-- after all, the e-ring represents your union-- but as a right hand ring or pinky ring, I'd be *honored* to be able to use and wear the stones my father gave my mother on my own hand! Darlin', those stones are heirlooms in a way-- they represent your ancestry, the bond that created YOU, and they are part of your personal history. The best right-hand rings represent the individual traits of the wearer, and you can't do that better than by incorporating family heirlooms. Irishgrrrl, YOU BET I think it's okay to wear them-- heck, if it were me, I'd be wearing them with joy and pride!

f-d-l

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It wouldn''t bother me because it was from my parents. Even if they are divorced now they were in love at the time it was given. I would love to have my parents wedding rings because I love them whether they are together or not
1.gif

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Wear that baby! It was their marriage, not yours and no matter what they are still your parents. Wear it proudly :) Esp. if it fits!
31.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''d wear it no problem. Enjoy it!
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
This is gonna sound weird, but I always pray over anything second hand I acquire, breaking any curses or bad energy that might be attached to it and blessing its future use in my life.

It works. We are supernatural beings, and focused prayer has supernatural power. You could have a minister do it for you if you like, but anyone exercising faith can do it.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys, thank you all so much for your wonderful words! I'm getting all choked up over here! LOL!
face16.gif

Rich, I think praying over it is a great idea! Even if it doesn't work, it can't hurt, right? I'll definitely give that a try!
21.gif

I'm planning on cleaning all of my jewelry tonight (needs it BAD!), and I think I'll include her . . . she needs a good cleaning! LOL!
9.gif

ETA: Everyone's posts were wonderful, but Fleur, I especially loved your post! Thank you!!! ((((HUGS))))
face23.gif

ETA2: Maybe, if you're all very good, I'll post pics of her after she gets her bath! LOL!
2.gif
9.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for it! It will remind you of the happy times your parents had when they had you and they were in love. Just because someone is divorced doesnt mean they didn''t love each other for a time. Remember YOU are also a wonderful part of that happy time!

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
My Great-grandmother passed away when I was 15 or so. As the eldest Grand-daughter, I received her engagement ring from a marriage that ended in divorce. The setting was quite worn and my parents had the stone re-set for me and I wear it often as a rhr.

Wear your lovely ring and enjoy it!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
i would absolutely wear it!! i might think twice about wearing the origianl version as you e-ring, but as that it has been modified and you just want to wear it because you like it. i would go for it

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Me too I would wear it no problem.Even a diamond you buy from a dealer may have been someone''s else''s stone.At least yours is from the known source.Your Mom would also want the very best for you so that ring has very special karma.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
It was given in love the first time, and given in love the second time. Wear it proudly! :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would wear it and enjoy it and agrees w/what MonkeyPie says too. You should enjoy it Irish, sweetheart!
12.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
It wouldn''t bother me at all! :)

If you want to cleanse any negative vibrations or energies from the ring, you can bury it in rock salt overnight. (You should throw the salt away afterwards). (Leave the whole thing in moonlight as well for added benefit!)

It''s good to do this before praying over the ring, which will in essence ''charge'' it again with positive energies.

Enjoy wearing it! :)

x x x

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t wear a ring from a divorce for an engagement ring but would have no problems in your scenario.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/15/2008 5:50:08 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
It was given in love the first time, and given in love the second time. Wear it proudly! :)
What a wonderful way to put it.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 3:12:44 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
This is gonna sound weird, but I always pray over anything second hand I acquire, breaking any curses or bad energy that might be attached to it and blessing its future use in my life.

It works. We are supernatural beings, and focused prayer has supernatural power. You could have a minister do it for you if you like, but anyone exercising faith can do it.
I've been thinking about this--I had my original wedding band blessed by our priest at our renewal of wedding vows some years ago. Since then, I've added an ering...but I'm too embarassed to have it blessed for fear he will think it's too, well, nonmodest. Does that make sense? I need to get over it.

Back to the subject...yes! Wear it and enjoy it!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Nope, wouldn''t bother me a bit!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladies, thank you all so much! I took another look at it a few minutes ago. The diamonds aren''t too well cut, but they still sparkle, and I like the way they''re set. It''s almost like they''re bezel set into the band, which is just a very simple 14k yellow gold band, but there''s a little bit of engraving around each diamond. It''s kinda cool!
1.gif

And, Julia, if it''s important to you to have your beautiful e-ring blessed, please do so! I''m sure your priest would understand, and would respect you for wanting to have it blessed. I think that''s a wonderful idea, BTW!
5.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Sheesh, I will wear second hand clothes, so I sure as hell wouldn''t have a problem with second hand diamonds.
2.gif

I have a ritual with things. I bless them...and if I have a little sage around...I will burn that at the same time. It''s a habit I picked up while attending a very spiritual massage school.

If I were you Irish, I wouldn''t even blink at wearing it, simply because your Mom remade it and then gifted it to you. It would have incredible sentimental value for me.

This reminds me, I need to tell my Mom to make sure she wills me the jewelry I have purchased for her.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
It would not bother me...I work with estate and antique jewelry alot and remind clients that each gem has history and many gems bought as new in retail stores were previously owned...when a gem is purchased from an estate show or pawn shop ect...i call this "rescue-ing"the gem...so it can be enjoyed again rather then sitting in a glass case "prison"when its just a commodity.Give the gem a new life and wear it again!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I consider this ring an heirloom since your Mom gave it to you. Wear it in good health and enjoy!

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results