shape
carat
color
clarity

I had a true and good appraisal done of my engagement ring

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought this stone in 1986, in the diamond district in NYC at some guy downstairs (where they tell you not to go now). He sold it to me as a 1.66ct G/H color VS2 stone.. so I had it for almost 30 years.. okay.. so the first reset the jeweler told me it was a G/H 1.65 ct VS2. Next reset.. 1.66 VS2 G/H.. third reset never was told.. this reset they told me it a 1.63 standard diamond with a slight scratch, so I take it to the local high end recommended jeweler and have it professionally appraised and he comes back with: AGS 2, Color I, 1.63 carats, VVS2 clarity. could my stone have been switched? any help is appreciated.

tekate

peace

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I had a true and good appraisal done of my engagement ri

Doubt that it's been switched - all of those numbers are probably close enough in the ballpark.

Why don't you send it to GIA or AGS for a definitive, paper in hand grading report? The rest are really one guy's opinion over another guy's, etc. Good if their reports make you feel good, worthless if trying to sell or trade.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

thank you very much MissGotRocks! I thought the same, I should have sent the stone to AGS when it was out because the last handmade setting I bought the prongs were tooo high, so another 400.00$ to fix it, problem was we moved from TX to New England.. etc. Again thank you so much, I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.

peace

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you ever posted a picture of the diamond? I bet it is a pretty stone and all but one of the appraisals was in the G-H color range. It is frustrating to get so many different opinions; that's why I would suggest sending it out if you really wanted to know what one of the major labs thought. My guess is that you've been enjoying it all these years so I wouldn't let their words get you down!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

thank you very much MIssGotRocks!!!! I appreciate your help. I have never posted a pix of my ring but it's a good idea! I just stink at pix. It seemed so weird to me that all of a sudden I have a VVS2 vs for 30 years I was told it was VS2.. it has been a good luck stone and I have great sentimental attachment to it, but if one of my sons asked, I would give it to them.. the appraiser said my stone at retail would be 14K.. I think that is high.. thank you for your help and thoughts!

peace.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just think local jewelers may not have a full set of grading stones, so they may be estimating to a greater degree than an independent appraiser or grading lab. Also, I think they may often tend to inflate things a bit. I doubt it was switched or you probably could have recognized that. The last jeweler seems to have had reason to think the diamond could be I color which is not unusual to have a grade difference in color, but it is interesting to have the clarity difference. I had this happen as well with a diamond my mother gave me, although in reverse. Her jeweler's appraisal said H VVS and my local jeweler who appraised it after recutting said H VS2. If you think one of your sons might like to use it for an e-ring, you might want to consider a recut as well since it is near colorless and good clarity.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Diamondseeker very much.. it's funny, my stone came back this time and it sparkes more than I can remember in years, and I have an ultrasonic cleaner.. or maybe it's just I finally after about 3 years have a setting I sort of like and think will be my stone's final home, until one of my kids want it.. again thank you so much for taking the time to read my posting.

peace.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I will agree that mine usually looks best after jeweler cleaning, too! It almost makes them look like new again! I think settings make a big difference, so it is great you have found one that compliments your diamond!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results