shape
carat
color
clarity

I got my ring! Some advice would be appreciated...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flagenta

Rough_Rock

I finally got my ring, I am so excited! But now I have a new batch of questions...

I got a certificate for my ring from the Gemological Appraisal Laboratory of America. I''ve never heard of them, but the appraiser said they were 4th largest private appraiser or something like that. Does anyone know anything about them? Is my certificate worthless?

Also, my boyfriend paid $7,000 for my engagement ring. It''s suppose to retail for $9,000. It''s a 2.14 carat heart shaped center stone of SI2 clarity and I color. The measurements are 8.10*9.30*4.59 and it has 56.6% depth. It''s set in platinum with approximatley .45 carats of side stones of slightly better quality. Did my boyfriend get a good price for this ring?

The appraisal I got for insurance reasons stated the total estimated retail value was $18,192.00 which I thought was completely ridiculous. (He gets paid according to how many carats are in ring, not based on the total amount of the appraisal.) The appraiser said he added a 50% cushion for inflation in the next 3-5 years. Is he suppose to do that?

Thanks for everyone''s help, sorry I''m so clueless!!

Shay

Shiny_Rock
I am afraid I can''t help with those questons, but I feel I speak for many people here when I say... Pictures please!
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Who did the appraisal? The jewelry store you purchased the ring from or an independent appraiser? Just curious!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh and of course, congrats on the ring!
36.gif

And I''m with Shay, pics please!!

flagenta

Rough_Rock
An independent appraiser did the $18,000 appraisal which I know now is completely ridiculous. Everyone I spoke too said there''s no such thing as adding a cushion because you can''t really predict future value. So if anyone is looking to get an appraisal in New York''s Diamond District do not go to the Gemological Appraisal Laboratory of America!

I''m upset the jeweler I bought the ring from sent me to the GAL for an appraisal, but I''m still insanely happy with the final product. I ended up getting a third appraisal today in Jersey which valued my ring at a little over $10,000. But even if this ring was worth $10 I''d still treasure it forever :)

Here''s a link to a picture, but I wish everyone could see it in person!
http://www.geocities.com/flagenta/myring.jpg

Shay

Shiny_Rock
Here is flagenta''s lovely ring (hope you don''t mind, this makes it easier for casual browsers).

heartringage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results