shape
carat
color
clarity

I gave up a diamond for this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I was planning on asking for a bigger diamond solitaire pendant for Christmas this year, but hubby made me another offer that was just too good for me to refuse! He knows that I have been wanting to make a trip to Asia, so he suggested that instead of giving each other big Christmas gifts this year we just take a cruise from Tokyo to Hong Kong in October instead!!! I figured since I already upgraded my ring and earrings last year and I have the big 30th anniversary next year to work with, why not??? We are booked and I am SO excited!

What do you guys think? What would entice YOU to give up a diamond upgrade - a house, a car, a trip, something else, or nothing???

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 5:58:03 PM
Author:Sundial
I was planning on asking for a bigger diamond solitaire pendant for Christmas this year, but hubby made me another offer that was just too good for me to refuse! He knows that I have been wanting to make a trip to Asia, so he suggested that instead of giving each other big Christmas gifts this year we just take a cruise from Tokyo to Hong Kong in October instead!!! I figured since I already upgraded my ring and earrings last year and I have the big 30th anniversary next year to work with, why not??? We are booked and I am SO excited!

What do you guys think? What would entice YOU to give up a diamond upgrade - a house, a car, a trip, something else, or nothing???
How fun!!! The way I see it you''ll get both. The trip this October and the upgrade for your 30th wedding anniversary next year. Smart girl!!
31.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
definitely... i would want to go on a special vacation instead of a diamond. DH would much rather have a car than another diamond for me, I can tell you that much! I love rocks, but I don't want them at the expense of other luxuries in my life, I will not starve my family of luxury so we can buy diamonds!!

In about 10 years, we want to put an addition and pool onto our house, it is the smallest in the neighborhood, and we feel it is an investment we could enjoy and get back someday when we sell (at least most of it). we have such a good interest rate- 5.75 for 30 years, we don't see ourselves upgrading our house unless the market falls significantly. (not likely). Anyway, I would rather do this rather than upgrade my diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I skipped the 29th because I couldn''t think of anything and suggested we get something good for the 30th as well! So I am all for the trip idea! I have been to China for 2 weeks and it was the trip of a lifetime. I know you will enjoy it very much...it is a really long flight, though! But I imagine you are used to that after going to New Zealand!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely travel over diamonds. It''s an investment in memories, and provided that most of my marbles are there before I die, I''ll close my eyes and dream of the sparkling warm azure adriatic sea over the sparkle of my diamond. The memories I have my my FI and I meeting and hanging out in Europe give me bigger grins than when I look at my ring.

Granted, I smile more OFTEN at my ring these days because I''m reminded more often that it''s there!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Very exciting sundial!!! I would take the trip too! Next year will be a perfect time to upgrade.

There are so many places I would love to visit!! I could probably talk dh into an upgrade instead of a trip one year, but I don't think I would ever do it......I love travelling way too much for that. lol

Where in Asia will you be travelling? ETA: City's - stops in between?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. Diamond upgrade. IF I had recently upgraded as you have... it wouldn''t take much.

Now ... as to what I would give my new setting re-set up for? A new house... in the next county over. That''s about it though.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
What a great trip! For me, paving my driveway is my next priority.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
oooh, a trip to asia sounds wonderful!

taitai_s

Rough_Rock
Sundial,

Hong Kong is soo fun and is filled with lots of jewelry stores! I only trust a few but there is eye candy galore. The food there isn''t too shabby either. I''m planning to go back in December and am already counting the days!

I hope you have a great trip!
1.gif

Grace43537

Rough_Rock
I''d take the trip, too! Although I hate driving places, I''d gladly take a plane trip just about anywhere and my husband loves to travel. We''ve never really been anywhere cool though. We''re young and just starting out so I guess we have our whole lives to travel, etc. Have fun!
-Grace
37.gif

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Sundial!! sounds so exciting! I love Tokyo & Hong Kong!!
and October is very good season to cruise.
if you like to take look a shop in the Tokyo ,
I would recommend you to go
*Roppongi Hills* http://www.roppongihills.com/en/ ( my brother lives
2.gif
)& *Omote sando Hills*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/taromatsumura/sets/72057594061130035/
both in middle of Tokyo and close each other. those are very hot spot right now.

there is jewelery shop called *Yoshinobu* ( at Roppongi hills)this shop's jewelery is so beautiful
30.gif
30.gif

http://www.yoshinob.com/top.html

there is HW at Omotesando hills.
also Mimiso is at Isetan.

flower12

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your encouragement Lisa, Pink Flamingo, Gypsy, Julia, and dbgaap! It is nice to know that even my fellow diamond obsessed friends on pricescope occasionally have other priorities too!

DS and taitai_s I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed China! Flower I will certainly try to check out those stores inTokyo. We are going over there a few days early so we will have some time to explore before catching the ship.

TG I love what you said about this trip being "an investment in memories". That is so true and so well put!!!

Hlmr we will sail from Tokyo to Hiroshima, Dalian, the port nearest Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. We have a couple of sea days thrown in and the ship stays more than one night in several of these ports. We'll leave the ship for Beijing and we'll also stay over in Hong Kong after we depart.

Grace I never traveled anywhere until I was well into my thirties, but I've made up for it since then! You will have lots of time ahead for adventures.

Edited to add: Oh and DS I talked hubby into upgrading to Business Class so that at least will help ease the pain of the long flights! Worth every penny.

taitai_s

Rough_Rock
Hi Sundial,

Yes, business class to Asia (I am in NYC so it''s a 15 hour flight at the minimum) is worth every penny. Yay that you will be comfortable! Where will you be staying in HK and in China - have you planned it out that far?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 11:52:38 PM
Author: taitai_s
Hi Sundial,

Yes, business class to Asia (I am in NYC so it''s a 15 hour flight at the minimum) is worth every penny. Yay that you will be comfortable! Where will you be staying in HK and in China - have you planned it out that far?
Good morning taitai_s! My flight is a little shorter since we fly from New Mexico to San Francisco and then overseas but still long enough that it is worth upgrading. We made our arrangements through the cruiseline and I believe during the excursion to Beijing and Xian we stay at Shangri-La hotels. In Hong Kong we are splurging on the Peninsula Hotel. I am really looking forward to exploring Hong Kong! It sounds fantastic. Any suggestions?

taitai_s

Rough_Rock

Hi again, Sundial

Good for you for picking the Peninsula, it''s my absolute favorite in HK.

Here are some fun things to do in Hong Kong - I''m sure there''s more I am forgetting but here''s what I remember off the top of my head.

1. Afternoon tea or evening drinks at the Lobby Lounge at the InterContinental on Salisbury Road (diagonally across from the Peninsula - grab a cab or take the ''subway'' - underground passageway to cross the street). The InterContinental is right on the water, you get the best views, in my opinion, of the harbor and the stunning skyline of Hong Kong Island. It''s especially incredible at night! I will note that afternoon tea at the Peninsula lobby is legendary but a bit of a disappointment for me because there is no view (I guess unless you count the people watching?). For tea at the Peninsula there''s always a line but if you tell them you are a guest at the hotel you should be able to jump the queue.

2. Walk around Tsim Sha Tsui. This is the area right around your hotel. There are lots of fun and interesting clothing boutiques and lots of jewelry stores in the area. With respect to jewelry, I have been to both Larry Jewelry and Prince''s Jewelry and have only the best things to say. Be warned - clothes in HK tend to be cut on the small side. Another fun shopping area is Causeway Bay, which is located on Hong Kong Island.

3. If you love beauty products as I do, check out the Sasa and Bounjour chains, they''re all over Hong Kong and have a staggering amount of stuff.

4. Go to Repluse Bay. This is one the ''beachy'' areas of Hong Kong, it''s on the south side of Hong Kong Island so naturally you will get excellent views of the South China Sea. We had a memorable lunch at the Verandah restaurant at the Repulse Bay Hotel. Very 1920''s HK.

5. My FI just returned from HK (he is originally from there and goes back often for business) and told me that the Blue Bar at the Four Seasons is fun, especially for lunch. They actually have a very reasonably-priced buffet (the theme changes daily, I think).

6. Getting around. The train (the "MTR") is very user-friendly, all communication is done in English and Chinese. There are multiple exits for each station; the exits coincide with the nearest landmarks/streets. If you have to get to the airport, the taxis and the MTR Airport Express trains are easy ...if you get lazy at the end of the trip like me (or are struggling with too much luggage), I recommend booking the Peninsula''s car to go to the airport. It runs about US$100 if I remember correctly.

7. If you or your husbands are into watches, Hong Kong is a great place to buy them; prices tend to be 20-30% less than in the US. As long as you buy them from a reputable, authorized dealer you should be OK.

8. Enjoy the Hong Kong airport! It''s big and new and filled with restaurants you might actually want to try. It''s also practically a mini-mall, with shops for all of the major designer brands. Note: there really isn''t a "duty free" in HK as everything is already duty-free with which to start. Therefore, prices for things in those boutiques at the airport are identical to prices outside of the airport.

9. Do you like Dim Sum? If so, the Maxim''s chain is pretty good.

10. Don''t forget the obligatory visit to the Peak, where you can get amazing views of Hong Kong at night!

~ taitai_s

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Taitai_s thank you SO much for all of the wonderful suggestions for Hong Kong! You are really adding to my excitement for visiting this wonderful city!!! I love shopping, eating, and sightseeing so it sounds like I will be in for a treat.
9.gif

taitai_s

Rough_Rock
You are very welcome!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Well I''m off on my trip to Japan and China this weekend so I will be away from Pricescope for a few weeks. I appreciate all the encouragement and suggestions that I received on this thread. I know I will miss some new pretties being posted, but I will catch up when I return. Diamondseeker I am especially excited to see your rings and hope you have them both by the time I get back!!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I can't believe how fast the time has gone since you first mentioned these plans!

Sundial I hope you have the most amazing trip ever!!!! Have fun and take lots of pictures!
35.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh so fabulous, you lucky girl! I see some pearls in your immediate future??? (...while in Rome...)
2.gif
3.gif
. Take very opportunity to have a great time!

cheers--Sharon

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 5:58:03 PM
Author:Sundial

Congrats on your trip and on your smart thinking gal...you get to have your cake and eat it too - giggle :} Hope you have a great time :}
What would entice me to give up on an upgrade...just to be able to know strm and I can get all our paperwork done, a job that makes him happy, and get married and spend the rest of my life with him...wouldn''t need an upgrade for that - even tho I already got my upgrade - giggle
Sigh...someday we will be together...utoh - this not a good day, tears are coming...I know what they mean when they say, Love hurts!!
I am sooooooo happy for you Sundial!!!!!! Enjoy and bring us pictures :}

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
have a wonderful time sundial!!

what could entice me? oh there is a ton of stuff!!!! i always make those trade-offs in my mind. this or this?

like taking 6 months off work to take a trip around the world with greg? i would SO give up a diamond upgrade for that! time off and exotic travel with hubby? fun!

diamonds are fun but living life is more rewarding than that sparkly bauble. stay safe!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the well wishes for my trip guys! It is always interesting to see what else entices us diamond nuts!!! Wifey2b I wish you and Storm all the best in getting everything resolved so you can get married and live together soon.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy your time there! October is here! Take care.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2006 11:56:05 AM
Author: Sundial
Well I''m off on my trip to Japan and China this weekend so I will be away from Pricescope for a few weeks. I appreciate all the encouragement and suggestions that I received on this thread. I know I will miss some new pretties being posted, but I will catch up when I return. Diamondseeker I am especially excited to see your rings and hope you have them both by the time I get back!!!
Oh, Sundial, I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful trip! You''ll have to post some pictures for us when you get back! China is a shopping paradise, because everything is SO cheap. I bought several rings with semi-precious stones set in 18k gold over there for my girls. But I really enjoyed seeing a culture that is so different than ours. The history is just amazing..we took in museums, temples, schools...lots of things that aren''t so touristy. I feel like we saw some of the real China, and I hope you will, too! Except don''t eat food on the street!!! (And yes, I''d optimistically like to think my rings will be here when you get back! Lol! But they are really simple, so you won''t miss a lot!)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, I went to Japan and I had a wonderful time there!! Definitely worth a diamond. Have a great time on your trip.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Julia, DS, and kcoursolle! Trust me DS your rings are worth waiting for!!! But for now I''m outta here!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results