shape
carat
color
clarity

I found a little turtle, what do I do?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, it was raining outside and I saw a turtle out in the street so I picked him up and took him to my backyard. I sent out a neighborhood email asking if anyone lost a turtle so I hope to find his/her owner. If I don''t, I have a cute little turtle. I have no idea how to take care of one and I looked on the Internet and it talks about an aquarium, I am guessing this isn''t that type of turtle,??? If anyone could offer advice I would really appreciate it.
12.gif
Thanks a bunch
35.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Awwww, Skippy! You''re a turtle mama! Will you keep it? I don''t know how to take care of it. Don''t turtles eat lettuce and zucchini? We need turtle pics! Oh, and be sure to wash your hands after handling it! Turtles can carry salmonella *said by germophibic Miranda*.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 8:44:54 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Is he a red ear slider? Aw, poor guy.. did you take a picture? I would love to see. What he is depends on how to care for him. I''d call your local Petsmart or Petco.. they both sell turtles and may have advice.
Oh good advice
emidea.gif
, I do have a picture. I just took it because he was so cute and I was nervous if he went to bury himself in the bushes; I wanted to know what type he is and what kind of food I need. You are so sweet SDL!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 8:47:47 PM
Author: Miranda
Awwww, Skippy! You''re a turtle mama! Will you keep it? I don''t know how to take care of it. Don''t turtles eat lettuce and zucchini? We need turtle pics! Oh, and be sure to wash your hands after handling it! Turtles can carry salmonella *said by germophibic Miranda*.
I did, I am a germophob also! Okay, let me get the pics. Coming right up! LOL about "Turtle Mama," maybe I will be a turtle mama! I would love to keep him if no one claims him.
face23.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
oh, that is so fun. sometimes there are turtles in the street here too. if you want to keep it just search on the web until you find out what kind it is and then find out what that kind likes. i wish i could have one! if it seems like it isnt going to work just set it free. it will survive on its own as long as it stays out of the street.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
So cute! SDL, is it a red slider????

IMGpeekaboo4210.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I am gonna call Petsmart, lets hope they can help
41.gif
Isn't he cute!?!?!
9.gif
You have turtles in your neighborhood Radiantquest!!! Wow, I never found one before; I picked it up so no one would run over it by accident.

IMGcutelittleturtle4213.JPG

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
What a cute little thing! How big is it?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 9:00:32 PM
What a cute little thing! How big is it?
he is so little, maybe about 7 inches?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Did you name him yet? I am such a sucker for a stray anything. As soon as I find it I become so attached. My dog and cat are my first set of animals that aren''t strays.

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Skippy, I'm not an expert by any means, but I swear he looks like a box turtle to me. He SHOULD be fine on his own in the wild. If I recall correctly, they require a lot of work to care for in a home setting. In the winter, they burrow in the ground and hibernate. You might want to check with your local shelter or pet shop and see if they have a person with reptile experience who can give you advice.

PS - I think "Turtle Mom" is a great name ;-)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 9:08:10 PM
Did you name him yet? I am such a sucker for a stray anything. As soon as I find it I become so attached. My dog and cat are my first set of animals that aren''t strays.
What should I name him? hehe

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 9:11:13 PM
Author: Dogmom
Skippy, I''m not an expert by any means, but I swear he looks like a box turtle to me. He SHOULD be fine on his own in the wild. If I recall correctly, they require a lot of work to care for in a home setting. In the winter, they burrow in the ground and hibernate. You might want to check with your local shelter or pet shop and see if they have a person with reptile experience who can give you advice.

PS - I think ''Turtle Mom'' is a great name ;-)
Good call, he does look like a box turtle!!! What if he is a boy, then Turtle Dad? hehe
2.gif
3.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
UPDATE: According to Petco, they like apples, and lettuce and some water. The Petco people thought he will be fine in my backyard since it is all grass, trees and lots of green shrubs and bushes. Thanks for your help friends!
35.gif
Now, what to name him if he is mine??? hehe
27.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michelle, thanks for the links, the 1st one worried me so since I found him super close to our house, I am going to open the gate to let him leave. Thanks again.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
He is really cute! BF has red eared sliders, and I can tell you that it isn''t one of those. You might want to find out if he needs any bugs to eat. I know BF''s sliders eat mealworms and crickets (and moths! YAY!) among other stuff...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 9:42:38 PM
Author: FrekeChild
He is really cute! BF has red eared sliders, and I can tell you that it isn''t one of those. You might want to find out if he needs any bugs to eat. I know BF''s sliders eat mealworms and crickets (and moths! YAY!) among other stuff...
He is super duper incredible cute! Thanks but now I am torn on what to do, LOL, oh boy!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 9:44:58 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 8/4/2008 9:37:19 PM
Author: Skippy123

Michelle, thanks for the links, the 1st one worried me so since I found him super close to our house, I am going to open the gate to let him leave. Thanks again.
Poor little box guy.. I think he'd have a happy home with you!
9.gif
I was excited to have a pet too lol.
9.gif
My hubby thinks he might be someones pet. Oh boy, I think I might just leave the gate open.

eta: I left the gate open.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
nevermind

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
That''s your standard model everyday box turtle. Growing up in the midwest I found dozens of them and considered them "pets", but just left them in the yard. They don''t require any care per se. They take care of themselves. If you want, you can leave a little water in a shallow jar lid for it. They eat bugs they find. Unfortunately the mortality rate from being run over by cars is pretty high. They don''t have enough sense to get out of the road
7.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy,

Little turtle is soooooo cute. Have you decided what to do yet????

Linda

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yep, looks like our pet box turtle. DD keeps him in a terrarium in her room. Most important thing we found was to be sure he gets enough UV light. Our UV bulb wasn''t emiting enough rays at one time, and the edges of his shell now curl up a bit.

I would suggest not keeping him indoors. DD has gone off to college, and the box turtle remains here at home. Fortunately, DH takes care of him most of the time. I handle DD''s pet parakeet.
20.gif

Try to come up with a better name than Boxy, however!
35.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Definitely a box turtle. Actually a tortoise, I believe, not a turtle, as turtles are aquatic. We had these all over our yard when I was a kid and every time I found one I would paint my initials on the shell with nail polish and let them go. My grandmother says she still sees some of them around her birdbath with my initials on the back. I heard later that nail polish was bad for them. If it is, I feel guilty.

Your little tortoise is wild... and will be fine on his/her own! No worries!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Aw a box turtle. We have those here, too. My grandma had one in her yard that was like 17 inches across! He was a beast. But he kept coming back to her yard because she would leave out lettuce and apple slices for him. Once they know food is ready there they will come back even if you let them go.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
What cute lil'' bugger! I swear it looks like he''s smiling in the one photo....awww

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy,

My brother says he looks like a tortoise and can likely have veggies. He also said to maybe get in touch with your local shelter since they may also know how to take care of or get the little guy to his proper home. I hope if he is someone''s pet they get in touch with you and he gets home and if not I hope he is ok and doesn''t get run over or anything.
Please update when you know more.
He is very cute!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Most definitely a tortoise. :)

You can keep him outside in your garden, if the weather is warm, and your garden is secure. In England they hibernate in winter & need feeding up, before being packed away in a warm box to go to sleep.

Thy will eat all sorts of greenery, lettuce, pieces of apple, etc etc.

I''m rather envious... he''s beautiful!

*** Please don''t leave your gate open... they''rea bit dim & he''ll get lost or run over!!!!***

It''d be best to put up some ads locally to say you''ve found him and to look after him in the meantime. You needn''t fear germs.. just wash your hands after handling him (as you would with any pet).

Here''s some more information:

http://www.pettortoise.co.uk/tortoise_care_sheet.php

x x x

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi Skippers!

I second the notion that he is a tortoise (land living) rather than turtle (water living). In my area they are wild - are they indigenous in your area? If so, I''d just take him to a safe wooded area away from roads and release him. If box tortoises don''t live in your area normally, he is probably someone''s pet - but I really bet he is wild.

My inlaws found a baby box tortoise and kept him a while til he grew bigger. He was the size of a quarter! So I think your little guy is actually several years old.

I actually found a cute tortoise a few months ago, just kept him a day and released him. Will post a pic if I can find one. I wanted to keep him, but figured he''d be happier in the wild.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep looks like a tortoise to me, they make great pets! Do you still have him Skip?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2008 9:17:24 PM
Author: Skippy123
What should I name him? hehe
Larry?
1.gif

He is so seriously CUTE! What's the update, Skippy?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results