shape
carat
color
clarity

I found a diamond yesterday....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
So I was at the gym... I looked down right next to the machine I was about to use, and there was a little sparkly glaring up at me. It looked to be about 1/4-1/3 ct diamond earring. I ran all around the gym looking at everyone''s ears but I couldn''t find the owner. I finally gave it to the people at the front desk, but I really don''t trust them to hold on to it. I feel like I should have left my phone number and taken the earring home- I would actually give it back to the owner!!! Anyone else ever have an experience like this? What would YOU do in this situation?
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 8:35:37 AM
Author:Tuckins1
So I was at the gym... I looked down right next to the machine I was about to use, and there was a little sparkly glaring up at me. It looked to be about 1/4-1/3 ct diamond earring. I ran all around the gym looking at everyone''s ears but I couldn''t find the owner. I finally gave it to the people at the front desk, but I really don''t trust them to hold on to it. I feel like I should have left my phone number and taken the earring home- I would actually give it back to the owner!!! Anyone else ever have an experience like this? What would YOU do in this situation?
1.gif
I think I would have done the same Tuckies, apart from turning it in to the police then there isn''t much else you can do. Hopefully the earring will find its way back to the owner!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
First of all, I want to complement you on doing the right thing...

Secondly, I know that "oh, I should have done this differently" feeling. A few weeks ago I was getting out my car and laying next to my door was a really nice BB cell phone in a fancy leather case. I simply picked it up, walked into the store and handed it over to customer service. As soon as I walked away I got the "guilt gut" over turning it in...fearing that it will never find its rightful owner.

But you know what? You did what you could do at the time in that moment. I am sure whoever lost their diamond earring will eventually retrace their steps...and hopefully someone at the desk will be as honest as you were about the earring and they will get it back.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.gif
The same thing!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I can understand feeling a little weird about not taking it with you and leaving a phone number but I think you did the right thing. Many people in your situation would have kept it and not felt bad. I hope the earring makes it back to its rightful owner!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have done what you did. If it was a big honking diamond I would probably have left my number and took it with me, but for an earring I think the best bet was leaving it there.

ETA any particular reason you don't trust the people at the gym to hold on to the earring? If they've been sketchy in the past I would try to get it back but if you have no reason to think they'll steal it I wouldn't assume otherwise!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 9:33:18 AM
Author: Ellen

1.gif
The same thing!
Ditto.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think you did the best thing you could, and that''s the first place I would look if I thought I had lost an earring at the gym. I hope it makes its way back to the rightful owner soon!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did the right thing, that is what I would have done. Your conscience is clear and hopefully the owner will show up. I compliment you on your honesty...I would like to think that most people would do the same thing.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have done the same thing.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Kudos to you for your honesty, but I think your instinct was correct. I ALWAYS report the things I find to manager and try to determine how their lost and found process works. It usually sucks. I inherited a terribly run Security Department in a huge hotel and had to create new procedures to match inquiries with items.

I always leave my name and number and then take the item with me if it is valuable. I don''t trust the employees to give an inquiry serious consideration and follow up.

However, I have to say, that I was glad that a women turned in my purse when she found it in the shopping basket in the parking lot where I left it before I got in the car and left for hom. I have had that happen twice, and the stress was in having the store employees actually finding what had been turned in.

I hope that the owner gets reunited with her earring.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
You did what you felt was best at the moment. And you did look around before you went to the desk. But I do understand where you are coming from.

I lost a very nice 18kt gold bracelet in a restaurant one night. I called the next afternoon, spoke with the mgr. Yeah, he found it, but said he took it home!
That was a little unnerving, but at least I got it back.

Last year, I found a diamond tennis bracelet at the Houston Nutcracker Christmas Market. I''m actually not even sure it was diamonds, but I did turn it in.

I lost a 10ct. tennis bracelet at the Daytona 500 about 12 yrs. ago. I retraced every step I took. I even crawled all over the floor of a restaurant I was in.
Never found it. Worst trip of my life.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 1:34:57 PM
Author: bebe
You did what you felt was best at the moment. And you did look around before you went to the desk. But I do understand where you are coming from.

I lost a very nice 18kt gold bracelet in a restaurant one night. I called the next afternoon, spoke with the mgr. Yeah, he found it, but said he took it home!

Last year, I found a diamond tennis bracelet at the Houston Nutcracker Christmas Market. I''m actually not even sure it was diamonds, but I did turn it in.

I lost a 10ct. tennis bracelet at the Daytona 500 about 12 yrs. ago. I retraced every step I took. I even crawled all over the floor of a restaurant I was in.
Ouch! That''s a bad trip for sure.
7.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 1:21:25 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I would have done the same thing.

Yup-me too!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 12:07:02 PM
Author: thing2of2
I would have done what you did. If it was a big honking diamond I would probably have left my number and took it with me, but for an earring I think the best bet was leaving it there.

ETA any particular reason you don''t trust the people at the gym to hold on to the earring? If they''ve been sketchy in the past I would try to get it back but if you have no reason to think they''ll steal it I wouldn''t assume otherwise!

Yes, there is good reason to be a little mis-trustful... Not with those particular employees, but the establishment as a whole does not have the greatest reputation...

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 1:56:34 PM
Author: miraclesrule

Date: 2/21/2009 1:34:57 PM
Author: bebe

Ouch! That''s a bad trip for sure.
7.gif
Yeah, bummer!
Still not sure if I lost it or it was pulled/tugged from my wrist. I remember putting it on that morning in a huge rush. The clasp was always a little
difficult to work, so it is entirely possible I didn''t get it clasped all the way. But we were in a crowd at this one restaurant and I remember being
jostled and hemmed in. I did get it replaced soon after that, but I''m paranoid about crowds now.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
You did the right thing.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have done the same thing. I hope it finds it''s way home.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I found a tennis bracelet outside of a drive up mailbox in high school. I still have it. I probably could have put a sign up for lost jewelry, but I was 15, so, yeah. I still have it.
28.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bebe - the manager probably took your bracelet home to be sure that none of the other employees could take it!

Tuckins - if that happened to me, I''d probably give the earring to the front desk, but then later regret doing so! Is there a bulletin board you can put up a sign saying earring was found, check front desk?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you did the best thing you could in that moment. In situations like this I always think that I should leave my number and take the item home with me, but I''m not sure that I''d actual remember to do that if I were put in the situation. I do think you did the right thing. Hopefully someone will retrace their steps when they realise that it has been lost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results