I find this heartbreaking

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very poignant. I'm heartened by this part:

"BioParque aims to feature species associated with research programs at universities and institutes. One such initiative is Refauna, which reintroduces species into protected areas with an eye on rebuilding ecosystems, and is participating with BioParque to start breeding blue-and-yellow macaws.

"The plan is for parents to raise some 20 chicks that will receive training on forest food sources, the peril of predators and avoidance of power lines. Then the youngsters will be released into Rio’s immense Tijuca Forest National Park, where Juliet has been sighted and is thought to sleep each night.

" "Their role could be important in terms of ecosystem and reforestation. It’s a big animal with big beak that can crack the biggest seeds, and not all birds can,” said Rheingantz, the university biologist, who is also Refauna’s technical coordinator. “The idea is for it to start dispersing those seeds, complementing forest animals that can’t.”

"After some pandemic-induced delays, the project has slowly restarted and Rheingantz expects to release blue-and-yellow macaws into Tijuca park toward the end of 2022.

"After two decades of relative solitude, Juliet will then have the chance to fly with friends. Neves said Juliet could teach them how to navigate the forest, or even find a love of her own."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed pearlsngems, a ray of hope.

The controversy is not lost on me that a member of my family (flock) is a parrot.

I feel a bit less guilty though knowing Bibi was not stolen from the wild.
He was raised by a local human family with a breeding pair of conures, not a birdie farm.
But yeah, maybe overall it would be better had that breeding pair, or their parents not have been taken from the wild.

I'm also aware that I help create demand by taking Bibi out ... a beautiful thing that has a dark side.
Hundreds of people out in the public have been charmed by Bibi, my sweet little friendly miracle.
Part of the demand I'm helping to create will be supplied by poachers stealing babies from nests around Bolivia. :(sad
Not my fault ... or is it? :think:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results