shape
carat
color
clarity

I finally did it--I'm a "study buddy"!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it took me a while to actually do it, but I've been volunteering at my local library in the children's department and I help kids with their homework. Most of them are in the 3-6th grades and are there because their parents made them, but I haven't had any problems so far--unless you count the boy I had today who smelled like he had a load in his pants and spent the hour picking his nose...! We initially talked about a summer reading program when I initially applied, and will revisit that as it gets closer to the summer.

I really enjoy myself, but it makes me realize how much I miss the classroom!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's wonderful! Good for you! :appl:

I love reading, learning and teaching!

I was never an actual 'Teacher', but throughout my career loved the opportunity to give presentations and explain things to people. Its wonderful when you see the look of understanding come across peoples' faces!

I think children are naturally curious and want to learn, but can become discouraged if they don't understand something and have no one to explain it to them.

Thank you for providing this very important service to these children!

You're teaching them that they matter and are worth your time and effort, and that they're smart and capable of learning!

With a solid foundation like that, their future becomes filled with dreams, opportunities and optimism!

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really cool, Amber.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad to hear this! :appl: :wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's wonderful! I hope you have a long, satisfying run of it!

(Hmm... maybe I could use a grammar study buddy! ;)) )

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yay for you! That kind of help can make a HUGE difference in a child's life. :appl: :appl:

That's great news! :wavey:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
That's awesome! I have young kids and they each have homework almost every week night - I often wonder how kids get through school without having "hands-on" parents, who help with homework, etc.? I think of how challenging it must be for those in difficult situations (like a single mother who works full-time, etc.). I'm sure that your volunteer experience will be very rewarding. I've had some ideas for some volunteer opportunities too and your thread made me realize that I need to get working on those :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results