shape
carat
color
clarity

I feel like fainting. And its not going away!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
It''s so bizarre. I''ve felt lightheaded and dizzy, the - almost going to pass out feeling....but I haven''t. And I''ve felt this way for well over 2 hours now. I had this once before, but it only lasted about 10-15 minutes (and I didn''t pass out then, either). I can''t figure it out. I''ve eaten. I got a fair amount of sleep last night. I don''t think I''m dehydrated. I''m not sick with any kind of a virus. And I''m not stressed out or emotional. What''s the deal?!
Has anybody else had something of the sort that''s just lasted for hours???

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
Your blood pressure might be low. Do you have a way of checking it at home?

Try maybe having a cup of orange juice or some other sugary drink. Also, try lying in the floor with your feet propped up on the couch/invert yourself. Whenever I gave blood for my back surgery and felt like fainting, they would raise my feet above my head. Always helped.

Sometimes freak things happen like this, but if it continues I would definitely call/go see a doctor.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Have you had a physical recently?? How is your blood pressure, normally?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe you should call your advice nurse or doctor''s office and ask if you should be seen?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
My husband gets this every once in awhile, he refers to it just as vertigo and it comes on usually for no reason at all. He will sleep for a whole day to get rid of it, but even as a child the doctors never found a reason behind it. It might be worth mentioning though that he used to get them 3-4 times a year before we met, and he has only had it twice since then (almost 5 years), so maybe he is just healthier now because I make him eat and sleep like he should lol.

If you honestly feel ill, or it''s affecting your vision/stability, I''d call a doctor. It could be so many things.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
How's your blood pressure and pulse? I'd check my pulse and see if it's either really slow (like under 45/min) or really fast (over 130/min). If so, you'd need to see a doctor. And probably should see one anyhow if this keeps up! Do you feel better if you lie down and put your feet above the level of your heart? Or if you sit and put your head between your knees? If you can hardly feel your pulse at your wrist, then your blood pressure's likely quite low for some reason and should be checked out.
Hope you feel better soon!
ETA: saw the comment about vertigo. There's a difference between feeling dizzy like the room's spinning (vertigo) and feeling dizzy faint (like getting tunnel vision, feeling hot/sweaty and ready to pass out).

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 2:13:39 PM
Author: lilylover
Your blood pressure might be low. Do you have a way of checking it at home?

Try maybe having a cup of orange juice or some other sugary drink. Also, try lying in the floor with your feet propped up on the couch/invert yourself. Whenever I gave blood for my back surgery and felt like fainting, they would raise my feet above my head. Always helped.

Sometimes freak things happen like this, but if it continues I would definitely call/go see a doctor.
Good point - forgot to mention that I work at a hospital - so I did check my blood pressure and its totally fine. That''s what makes it stranger. I expected it to be low, but it''s not.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 2:15:19 PM
Author: drk
How''s your blood pressure and pulse? I''d check my pulse and see if it''s either really slow (like under 45/min) or really fast (over 130/min). If so, you''d need to see a doctor. And probably should see one anyhow if this keeps up! Do you feel better if you lie down and put your feet above the level of your heart? Or if you sit and put your head between your knees? If you can hardly feel your pulse at your wrist, then your blood pressure''s likely quite low for some reason and should be checked out.
Hope you feel better soon!
ETA: saw the comment about vertigo. There''s a difference between feeling dizzy like the room''s spinning (vertigo) and feeling dizzy faint (like getting tunnel vision, feeling hot/sweaty and ready to pass out).
Pulse is normal, as well.....

I don''t really feel any type of vertigo. Moreso just lightheaded. Not sweaty or nauseous, though. It''s hard to describe.....When it hit me initially, I just felt a really strong tired spell. Like I could just lay my head down on the desk and take a nap. Physically laying down is better, but it doesn''t make the feeling go away. Head between the knees makes it worse.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
there was actually a virus going around my country last year where people were feeling dizzy and had to stay home because it wasn''t safe for them to get in a car. it lasts a few days.

my mom was recently diagnosed with meniere''s disease. but she really does pass out and has to continually throw up from dizziness.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes I have something similar..I''ll be on the computer and then all of a sudden I feel like I''m falling and I have to grab the desk. I''ve done it walking down the hall at work too-just suddenly find I''m listing to the side and I have to hold the wall while I walk. Sometimes drinking a bunch of water and having peanut butter or cheese helps it to go away. Even when I know I''ve eaten and been staying hydrated, I think sometimes your body needs a little extra.

After I had Trapper, I ended up w/the weird dizzy/lightheaded virus. I thought I was going crazy b/c I couldn''t figure out why I felt so funny. I finally went to see Dr and she said they''d had a run of people coming in w/the same thing (I was on maternity leave and didn''t know) and it would eventually go away. I had no other symptoms, and neither did the other patients-just the dizzy/lightheadedness.

Also..I felt that way when I was pg too, if that is a possibility for you.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
It may be nothing, but take my advice. If it is still bad go to the ER.

I am at home recuperating from having a pacemaker implanted last week. While in the hospital my heart stopped sevral times for around 5 seconds. I had 3rd degree heart block.

My only symptom was feeliing woozy or lightheaded and my bp was normal. My pulse was low and then it got better and then it got bad again. If nothing maybe they will at least give you a portable monitor to record the event if it happens again.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
NM...I didn't read all the responses and started writing before I saw that your pulse was normal as well. Anyway I hope you feel better soon!!! Definitely see your doctor as soon as possible.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Was there any chemical being used in your proximity today? Floor stripper, cleaner''s, solvent''s, wax- redoing my floors had the same impact on me not long ago. Yes, it lasted for hours before I called my mother. She said, OPEN A WINDOW! I said, why? OPEN A WINDOW she said...gee, ok mom. Well, she was right.

Also, I thought of radon gas or other fumes. So now you got me worried...will you check back in?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 3:01:42 PM
Author: packrat
Sometimes I have something similar..I''ll be on the computer and then all of a sudden I feel like I''m falling and I have to grab the desk. I''ve done it walking down the hall at work too-just suddenly find I''m listing to the side and I have to hold the wall while I walk. Sometimes drinking a bunch of water and having peanut butter or cheese helps it to go away. Even when I know I''ve eaten and been staying hydrated, I think sometimes your body needs a little extra.

After I had Trapper, I ended up w/the weird dizzy/lightheaded virus. I thought I was going crazy b/c I couldn''t figure out why I felt so funny. I finally went to see Dr and she said they''d had a run of people coming in w/the same thing (I was on maternity leave and didn''t know) and it would eventually go away. I had no other symptoms, and neither did the other patients-just the dizzy/lightheadedness.

i get the same exact sensation!!! it is sooooooo weird!
you know what my doctor diagnosed it as? anxiety/panic attacks. and i''ve been on celexa (which is also for depression...which i dont believe i have) but it has helped it a decent amount. it doesn''t happen nearly as often.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I think the falling sensation/listing to the side thing is vertigo, an inner ear disorder.

SoCool - glad to hear you got the pacemaker and are feeling better now. Guess you didn''t end up needing the Holter to figure out what was going on after all!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
My first thought was classic female heart attack symptoms - sudden tirdness, dizzyness. My second thought is a migraine. I have the strangest menstrual migraines that took years to diagnose. They start with a warm, fluidy feeling at the base of my skull. If I don''t take something at that point it progresses into weird ''had too much to drink'' vision and a constant state of dizzyness and feeling disoriented. If I let it go for too long (several hours) it will progress into a classic migraine w/o aurora. hmmmm... Could it be anemia due to your period?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 8:49:29 PM
Author: charbie
Date: 3/2/2010 3:01:42 PM

Author: packrat

i get the same exact sensation!!! it is sooooooo weird!

you know what my doctor diagnosed it as? anxiety/panic attacks. and i''ve been on celexa (which is also for depression...which i dont believe i have) but it has helped it a decent amount. it doesn''t happen nearly as often.

I have them too! Not near as bad or as frequently as I used to, but sometimes when I get the dizzy oh hello the floor is tilting feeling, it scares me, and makes me feel like I''m going to have a panic attack, which scares me, so it''s like a circle.

The lightheaded am I going to pass out feeling scares me too. It''s so random. My scalp starts to tingle and I get a little chill, and then I have a very "aware" feeling..like when your ears need to pop and then they do, how things are louder and I just feel very attuned to the fact that something is going on. Then of course, it scares me-especially if I''m driving, so then it starts me worrying I''m going to have a panic attack and sets off another circle.

How''re you feeling now Jo?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I immediately thought of an asymptomatic migraine. You can have them without pain or visual affects. My husband gets tunnel vision and a little dizzy when he gets them. Regardless, if this is a more than one time event you should go see your doctor or a neurologist.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get vertigo and its not the same as feeling like you are going to faint. With vertigo its a balance issue. Do you get panic attacks? Are you worrying about anything? If none of these apply its likely to be a virus. I would get a check up just to be sure though.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
The above suggestions are far more likely, but occasionally I will get dizzy and disoriented due to anemia (I''m borderline). It means I haven''t had enough iron in my diet, and I''ll eat green veggies and beef, which seems to help. Just throwing something else out there!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
What about low blood sugar?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi jo :)

i have postural vertigo as a result of a bad back. the muscles at the sids of my neck are extremely tight - especially on the left hand side - and it leads to ongoing dizziness for periods of time - especially if i''ve done anything to exacerbate it, like type on the computer for long periods of time, talk on the phone holding it with my shoulder for long periods, and so on.

dizziness of this kind will make you very sleepy as it''s restricting blood flow. i get very yawny, and often feel better after a nap, as it generally (tho not always if i sleep ''wrongly'') gives the muscles in my neck a chance to relax. externally, to look at me, there''s nothing wrong, so it took dr''s a long time to ''get'' this. it''s not especially worrying and passes if i get someone (generally my husband) to rub my neck and shoulders in the evening while watching tv. then it''s like my vision clears, my head clears, and i have a sense of being way more awake and no longer in a fog.

if you live with a SO, ask him to rub your shoulders/neck (especially neck - especially the sides). try stretching your mouth open to see if you have tightness around the jaw. if your neck and shoulders are particularly tight and tender, this might be something to consider. alternately, look into postural vertigo (not like normal vertigo) which can be from problems with your upper neck, especially arthritis.

hope this helps. :)

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 9:02:19 AM
Author: oddoneout
What about low blood sugar?

EXACTLY what I was going to say.

What did you eat today??

Do you have a vending machine nearby where you can get something sweet to eat/drink?? Try it and see if it works - you''ll have your answer!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Good morning, all.
Well, I ended up going home from work early yesterday. The worst of the feelings had passed, but I still didn''t feel right in the head. I just woke up about 1/2 an hour ago, and I''m still not feeling 100%.
8.gif

I did get some labwork done yesterday - so we''ll see what that shows, if anything. I''m going to research the asymptomatic migraines. For some reason that just seems like it could be possible. And also, to whoever said something about them being cycle related.....I just thought about it, and the last ''episode'' I had like this was exactly 4 weeks ago. Coincedance? Hmm..... I''ve never suffered from headaches or migraines.

Nope, I don''t have panic attacks, and am not suffering from an extraoirdinay amount of stress. So I think that one is out.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock

just to clarify in case i wasn''t clear - the dizziness i get from muscular stress and arthritis in the neck has nothing to do with emotional stress. nor does it have anything to do with a serious neck malformation. it''s pretty common and is from muscle tension (as opposed to emotional tension) which can be caused by all sorts of postural problems. this form of dizziness is also a lot more common now that we''re all working on computers and/or the phone all day these days.

just wanted to clarify in case you don''t turn up anything on the migraine lead.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 10:27:21 AM
Author: whitby_2773

just to clarify in case i wasn''t clear - the dizziness i get from muscular stress and arthritis in the neck has nothing to do with emotional stress. nor does it have anything to do with a serious neck malformation. it''s pretty common and is from muscle tension (as opposed to emotional tension) which can be caused by all sorts of postural problems. this form of dizziness is also a lot more common now that we''re all working on computers and/or the phone all day these days.

just wanted to clarify in case you don''t turn up anything on the migraine lead.
Thanks for clarifying. I''m sure that could be a possibility, althogh my back problems are pretty limited to the lower back. But I could see how the neck and shoulders could cause some type of blood flow restriction. I''m just crossing my fingers it doesn''t happen again!!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
If your lower back is out of alignment and has been for quite some time it is possible that your upper spine could be out of alignment too, especially if you sit for long periods of time. This will cause dizzyness and a strange (it''s so hard to describe) feeling. hmmm, but since you said it happened four weeks ago I''d lean more towards it being your period. Hopefully you feel better soon!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you are feeling better and can get to the bottom of it all!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 2:23:31 PM
Author: noelwr
there was actually a virus going around my country last year where people were feeling dizzy and had to stay home because it wasn''t safe for them to get in a car. it lasts a few days.

my mom was recently diagnosed with meniere''s disease. but she really does pass out and has to continually throw up from dizziness.
I had something like this years ago. Hit with a massive head rush, and then felt horribly dizzy for hours. Like having bedspins - standing, sitting or lying. Fine the next day. Then my husband comes home and says OMG, I''m so dizzy! Same thing. I decided it was some little, short-duration virus that just affected the inner ear, because I never felt sick, just clutching the walls dizzy.....

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Now I can''t help but wonder if it could be some weird virus. It hit me again tonight at work - not as bad though, and didn''t last as long......But the lady that was working the shift before me said that she felt the exact same way this morning. Just got dizzy and thought she was gonna pass out. Granted she DOES have blood pressure issues, and takes a lot of meds....But it just got me thinkin - since we do work in the same space and all. But then - maybe there''s something weird in our office that''s making us feel this way???? I dunno - but I hope it''s gone tomorrow. I''ve got a full schedule!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results