shape
carat
color
clarity

i don''t mean to pry, but how much did you spend on your e-ring and w-band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like Holly said, a reasonable budget is what one can afford. Also, what one is comfortable with! Even if I could afford a $50K ring, I would never spend that much.

My wedding set wasn''t very expensive because my DH was still in school when we became engaged. We were paying his tuition off with cash rather than loans, so we allocated our funds toward that.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
My original ER in 1973 was 1700.00

My upgrade this past year, a lot. More than my first house.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original ering in 1979 was 365.00. Diamond was .35 ct on plain thin gold setting. *sigh*

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My orginial ering in 1983 was $120, we bought our wedding rings used and we paid $100 bucks for both of them, we were very poor and still are, lol, my recent upgrade on my ering was in 2001 and we spent $3200 for that and I just upgraded my wedding band and it cost me $500, however, that was from Ebay and the appraised value is $2300
36.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 3:02:44 AM
Author: swingirl
I think a reasonable budget is something that doesn''t get put on a credit card. Different for everyone. I am guessing a lot of PSers are jewelry hounds and don''t reflect the average.
Ditto and ditto.

We spent what we were comfortable spending, and we paid in cash. I wouldn''t personally charge a ring, but that''s just my own personal preference.

I don''t think it''s wrong to be curious about what people spend, though I do agree that what others spend really doesn''t help in setting one''s own budget.

I thought you were looking for the average cost of wedding sets from your original post, so I gave you the total cost of my rings. The setting of my e-ring was $2,200, in case that is what you''re curious about.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring cost around $9K, but that INCLUDES the original purchase, the recut (bought the diamond right before I learned about pricescope and the cut-advisor), the re-certification by AGS, the Stuller setting it''s in, AND the new platinum head that Whiteflash put on it to sit it lower. I still came in well under two months salary though so I''m happy about that!

My wedding band cost my boyfriend (at the time, over eight years ago
2.gif
) less than $200 at Montgomery Ward.
3.gif
He bought me a very simple white gold band with teensy chipped up diamonds in it for our one year anniversary. When WF did my recut though, Vera said they would replace the frozen spit with ACA melee, so that''ll take the price up. I''m also hoping to have them make a matching plain band to wear with it, and I''m not sure how much that would cost.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
e-ring: $25k CAD
my w-band: $750 CAD
his w-band: $600 CAD

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really know what the exact dollar figure was when everything was said and done...but it was around 20-22k.

My husband saved money even before he met me and was single for an engagement ring because he wanted to only pay cash and wanted to be able to do it as quickly as possible. I think you should spend whatever you''re comfortable with.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
7K, ering and wedding band.

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring cost $32,000 in 2004.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our budget was small to begin with and for that reason (and others) i chose an eternity band as an engagement ring. it's a nice size and i think it stands out on my hand and i love looking at it...i am so happy with my decision not to go the traditional ering route. My e-band was $2,800 - tcw 2.3.

for a wedding band, i have a five stone sapphire ring that was purchased a while back ($800) that i am going to have reset to wear with my ering - i think the reset will be a few hundred more dollars spent....total will be just over $1K.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I think the cost for my wedding set will be about $27,000, more or less. Since FI bought the e-ring on his own, I only know a ballpark of what was spent, but the setting was about $2,000. Wedding band will also come in around $2,000.

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
I had a very small budget in comparison to most here and I haven''t yet purchased the wedding bands. I''m also curious why this information might be helpful to you.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re talking just settings, my set was just under $3000 in 18K white gold with .36ctw melee diamonds, Beverley K.
2.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a thread already on your Beverly K e-ring, Lyra? I''d love to see it.

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
e-ring setting: $550
e-ring diamond: $5700
my wedding band: $40
his wedding band: $120

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you know, i hear the rule of thumb of two months salary,,, but I disagree with this rule because I think it should whatever amount that you can afford if it means both combined or only the person buying the, ring or whatever... my first set was about $3000 for both ering and wb. but it depends on your budget, many of our friends, really don''t like to spend more than $3k but they are not obsessed with jewelry or diamonds as I might be, but I like BLINGs so my hubby knows our budget would be more

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 3:21:52 PM
Author: D&T
you know, i hear the rule of thumb of two months salary,,, but I disagree with this rule because I think it should whatever amount that you can afford if it means both combined or only the person buying the, ring or whatever... my first set was about $3000 for both ering and wb. but it depends on your budget, many of our friends, really don''t like to spend more than $3k but they are not obsessed with jewelry or diamonds as I might be, but I like BLINGs so my hubby knows our budget would be more
I''ve heard it''s 3 month salary
2.gif
We actually spent only around 1 month''s salary on my e-ring, and at around 10-12K, I still thought it was WAYYYY more than what I would''ve liked to spend. I still feel terrified wearing it, and everytime someone fishy walks past me I turn my ring around.
14.gif

As for the setting, I originally had platinum but I didnt like it. Re-set it on 18K white gold with 0.26 ctw of diamonds - only costed me around 500$. Done by a local jeweler though.

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
e-ring: ~ $5,000
w-band: $1500

Had we used the 2-month salary rule, we''d have spent $30k on my ering.
23.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 4:03:22 PM
Author: kama_s

Date: 4/22/2009 3:21:52 PM
Author: D&T
I''ve heard it''s 3 month salary
2.gif
We actually spent only around 1 month''s salary on my e-ring, and at around 10-12K, I still thought it was WAYYYY more than what I would''ve liked to spend. I still feel terrified wearing it, and everytime someone fishy walks past me I turn my ring around.
14.gif

As for the setting, I originally had platinum but I didnt like it. Re-set it on 18K white gold with 0.26 ctw of diamonds - only costed me around 500$. Done by a local jeweler though.
ditto! and mine isn''t that large.. only 1 carat,, but with the ACA that still draws attention
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 9:58:08 AM
Author: Haven
Date: 4/19/2009 3:02:44 AM
Author: swingirl
I think a reasonable budget is something that doesn''t get put on a credit card. Different for everyone. I am guessing a lot of PSers are jewelry hounds and don''t reflect the average.
Ditto and ditto.

We spent what we were comfortable spending, and we paid in cash. I wouldn''t personally charge a ring, but that''s just my own personal preference.
I totally would (and did) - yay for cashback! We use credit cards for everything, which included our rings.

Though we pay our balance down twice per month, so it''s sort of like paying cash (just with an added middleman). I do think it''s important to distinguish between putting a ring on credit, and paying for it using a credit card. When I first joined PS I was awfully confused by all the "do NOT use your credit card to buy the ring!" posts. I couldn''t imagine what the problem was - until I realized that they meant not to use the card and retain a balance from it.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 5:01:49 PM
Author: musey

I totally would (and did) - yay for cashback! We use credit cards for everything, which included our rings.

Though we pay our balance down twice per month, so it''s sort of like paying cash (just with an added middleman). I do think it''s important to distinguish between putting a ring on credit, and paying for it using a credit card. When I first joined PS I was awfully confused by all the ''do NOT use your credit card to buy the ring!'' posts. I couldn''t imagine what the problem was - until I realized that they meant not to use the card and retain a balance from it.
Yep! Yep! We put everything on our CC - it''s great for when we sit and work through our finances at the end of the month because we know exactly how much money went into eating out, shopping etc. Neither of us have ever paid a bill late in the 8+ years we''ve owned CCs. And ofcourse, the cashback! I get mine every December, so that''s extra Christmas spending money!

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
FI saved like crazy and ballpark my e-ring was $21,200ish that was 2 yrs ago and then I added a bit of pave to my setting and with having to ship my ring back to WF etc it was an extra $1200.
I''m not married yet but I am planning on getting 2 w-bands and they will come in ballpark at $3600

We spent what we were comfortable spending for something that I was going to wear day and night and be crazy in love with and so I am happy but honestly to each his own, people should spend absolutely whatever they want on their e-rings/w-bands, if you can swing it GO FOR IT!
Just my opinion whatever works for each couple...

Good luck with your re-set!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 5:32:23 PM
Date: 4/22/2009 5:01:49 PM

Though we pay our balance down twice per month, so it''s sort of like paying cash (just with an added middleman). I do think it''s important to distinguish between putting a ring on credit, and paying for it using a credit card. When I first joined PS I was awfully confused by all the ''do NOT use your credit card to buy the ring!'' posts. I couldn''t imagine what the problem was - until I realized that they meant not to use the card and retain a balance from it.
Yep! Yep! We put everything on our CC - it''s great for when we sit and work through our finances at the end of the month because we know exactly how much money went into eating out, shopping etc. Neither of us have ever paid a bill late in the 8+ years we''ve owned CCs. And ofcourse, the cashback! I get mine every December, so that''s extra Christmas spending money!
Kama, I bet your answer will be yes, but have you used mint.com? We''ve had it set up since we combined finances last November and it''s been AMAZING!! Pie charts, budgeting goals, spending records, etc. etc. keeping us on perfect track, and I find the interactive budgeting tool makes it so much fun to spend LESS money. Coming in under budget has never been so "fun"
3.gif
What a great site.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I just want to spread the joy of mint wherever I go!!

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
He spent about 3% of his annual income on my ering- not even 1 month''s salary for us. I don''t think the 2 months salary rule of thumb is all that common- that''s a lot of money for a ring! If you can do it and both be comfortable with it, then I say go for it (and good for you!
30.gif
), but if that money is needed elsewhere then you certainly shouldn''t feel bad about that. There are a LOT of women out there happily wearing plain gold bands. PS diamonds are certainly not the norm.

DF- Interesting that the average PS diamond is around $7000. Do you know what the average ''real world'' diamond costs?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 5:52:48 PM

Kama, I bet your answer will be yes, but have you used mint.com? We''ve had it set up since we combined finances last November and it''s been AMAZING!! Pie charts, budgeting goals, spending records, etc. etc. keeping us on perfect track, and I find the interactive budgeting tool makes it so much fun to spend LESS money. Coming in under budget has never been so ''fun''
3.gif
What a great site.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I just want to spread the joy of mint wherever I go!!
We haven''t yet! I''ve heard loads about it, and I really do want to get started on it soon...but with the wedding, there doesn''t seem like we have any monthly budgeting at all! Once this drama is over and life is going to be ''normal'' (i.e., borrrring), I''m going to set it up. It''s going to be a task in itself trying to consolidate Mr. Kama investments and income (he works AND has a business on the side, so it''s uber messy). I try and do a bit on my own with excel, but it would be so much easier with mint. I really want to start a vacation fund and curb our eating out expenses, so I''ll talk to you again in July when we''ll be on mint and sticking with a friggin budget!

Do you give yourself a treat for coming under budget? Man, I''m totally treadjacking now. Sorry OP
7.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 6:15:17 PM
Author: upgrade
He spent about 3% of his annual income on my ering- not even 1 month''s salary for us. I don''t think the 2 months salary rule of thumb is all that common- that''s a lot of money for a ring! If you can do it and both be comfortable with it, then I say go for it (and good for you!
30.gif
), but if that money is needed elsewhere then you certainly shouldn''t feel bad about that. There are a LOT of women out there happily wearing plain gold bands. PS diamonds are certainly not the norm.

DF- Interesting that the average PS diamond is around $7000. Do you know what the average ''real world'' diamond costs?

i totally agree with you, upgrade! whenever i hear that stupid idea (2 months salary) i think to myself - what the heck are people supposed to be LIVING on while he''s putting 2 months salary towards a piece of JEWELRY?? kinda seems anti ''the real world'' to me.

we used my deceased mother''s engagement diamond - 1/4 ct. we found out a few years later that it had been stolen by the (very dicey, suspect) jeweler we used, and something different had been substituted. so then we got a .83 stone with .25 on each side, platinum band. and a couple of weeks ago i got bigger side stones - .46 and .47. and that''s if for me, tho we *did* also just have our original YG rings melted down and remade into new bands.

my husband and i were both full time students when we got engaged and married. 2 months salary would have meant not paying the RENT!

i believe my setting was $455. (and i thought i was SO cool!)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 6:25:41 PM
Date: 4/22/2009 5:52:48 PM
Kama, I bet your answer will be yes, but have you used mint.com? We''ve had it set up since we combined finances last November and it''s been AMAZING!! Pie charts, budgeting goals, spending records, etc. etc. keeping us on perfect track, and I find the interactive budgeting tool makes it so much fun to spend LESS money. Coming in under budget has never been so ''fun''
3.gif
What a great site.

We haven''t yet! I''ve heard loads about it, and I really do want to get started on it soon...but with the wedding, there doesn''t seem like we have any monthly budgeting at all! Once this drama is over and life is going to be ''normal'' (i.e., borrrring), I''m going to set it up. It''s going to be a task in itself trying to consolidate Mr. Kama investments and income (he works AND has a business on the side, so it''s uber messy). I try and do a bit on my own with excel, but it would be so much easier with mint. I really want to start a vacation fund and curb our eating out expenses, so I''ll talk to you again in July when we''ll be on mint and sticking with a friggin budget!

Do you give yourself a treat for coming under budget? Man, I''m totally treadjacking now. Sorry OP
7.gif
More money into savings, usually
3.gif

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 6:34:39 PM
Author: whitby_2773

30.gif

i totally agree with you, upgrade! whenever i hear that stupid idea (2 months salary) i think to myself - what the heck are people supposed to be LIVING on while he''s putting 2 months salary towards a piece of JEWELRY?? kinda seems anti ''the real world'' to me.

we used my deceased mother''s engagement diamond - 1/4 ct. we found out a few years later that it had been stolen by the (very dicey, suspect) jeweler we used, and something different had been substituted. so then we got a .83 stone with .25 on each side, platinum band. and a couple of weeks ago i got bigger side stones - .46 and .47. and that''s if for me, tho we *did* also just have our original YG rings melted down and remade into new bands.

my husband and i were both full time students when we got engaged and married. 2 months salary would have meant not paying the RENT!

Agreed! We were going to have a wedding to pay for and we wanted to buy a house (and, um, eat and have heat and electricity...) so we went with a smaller ering. 10 years later, we have a house and are settled so my ering was turned into a 3 stone (just a tad smaller than yours- .48-.76-.48). I feel so awful for couples just starting out who feel the pressure to have the biggest ring on the block. I''d rather see them buy what they can comfortably afford, be proud of what it symbolizes (eternal love and financial responsibility!) and then they can upgrade when the time is right. Starting a life together is expensive enough as it is!

Now if you can comfortably afford the huge rock right out of the gate, good on ya! (and please post pictures so the rest of us can drool)

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 6:54:40 PM
Date: 4/22/2009 6:34:39 PM

Author: whitby_2773

30.gif

Agreed! We were going to have a wedding to pay for and we wanted to buy a house (and, um, eat and have heat and electricity...) so we went with a smaller ering. 10 years later, we have a house and are settled so my ering was turned into a 3 stone (just a tad smaller than yours- .48-.76-.48). I feel so awful for couples just starting out who feel the pressure to have the biggest ring on the block. I''d rather see them buy what they can comfortably afford, be proud of what it symbolizes (eternal love and financial responsibility!) and then they can upgrade when the time is right. Starting a life together is expensive enough as it is!

Now if you can comfortably afford the huge rock right out of the gate, good on ya! (and please post pictures so the rest of us can drool)

absolutely, positively, could not agree with you more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results