shape
carat
color
clarity

I bought flu type A back with me from NYC

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went to hospital this morning thinking I was going to die, so I figured it was the flu. yes, had flu shot in late September or so.

I’m patient zero for my area which is experiencing high type B. I’m the first one with type A, so they assume I got it in NYC or on the plane.

Since hubs is a doc we were very well aware of the amount or people etc so we washed hands a lot and used purell. Etc

He is sick with it now too.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@whitewave I’m so sorry you’re sick..This may be a dopey question but how do they know which strain it is? They have a way to test it? Feel better soon.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OH NO!!!!
I pray you feel so much better- and so soon!!!
Thankfully, I've not noticed any symptoms.....

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They stick a long q tip way up your nose and swab it and put in a machine.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond thank goodness. I would feel bad if you or yekutiel got it from me, but I think I got it Saturday or Sunday. Missed you by a day!!

I’m waiting for my crash since they pumped me with several things at the hospital. Now on Tamiflu

Only 5 people in my state through November 30 have had flu A. It’s been mostly B Victoria down here.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Rockdiamond thank goodness. I would feel bad if you or yekutiel got it from me, but I think I got it Saturday or Sunday. Missed you by a day!!

I’m waiting for my crash since they pumped me with several things at the hospital. Now on Tamiflu

Only 5 people in my state through November 30 have had flu A. It’s been mostly B Victoria down here.

oh dear
rest up and take it easy
drink lots
get well soon

it's been a few years since ive had a real flu but its mighty unpleasent

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
They stick a long q tip way up your nose and swab it and put in a machine.

Thanks @whitewave. I hope the meds you are on will keep you comfortable...The last time I had the flu I was so sick I crawled to the phone to tell my mom not to come for a visit..that I felt I was dying. I’m not overly dramatic so that frightened everyone to stay clear of me..That was around twenty years ago...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for you! I hope you recover quickly. If I got the flu I'd end up staying in the hospital, so I guess this is my cue to hunker down for the winter.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You poor thing! I'm so sorry you're sick. My 6 year old son had Influenza A in June, it was frightening at times. Hope you make a speedy recovery!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. Since I got back from hospital, I’m doing a LOT better (maybe the shot did offer some protection?)

During last night, the chills, fever (101.9 at the highest) and cough was so bad. My sides by my ribs hurt so so bad from the hard coughing nonstop.

They gave me strong prescription cough meds. DH is on tamiful now, but he has it much worse now than I do. He is how I was during the night. I may have to call one of our anesthesia friends to come give him an IV. (But I don’t want anyone coming to this sick house.... I sent my college son back to the other house today).

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww sorry you brought that back from NYC instead of some bling... happy to read you are feeling better and hope your DH does soon! I always feel like I need a shower when I come home from the city. You just can’t help touching things. Be well!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave, so sorry about this :(( It sounds just awful. I hope you continue feeling better and I hope your dh improves soon. Take care and be well soon. XX

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave Ah so sorry to hear you've picked up the flu - I had a terrible flu in NY a few years ago when we were there on honeymoon. Felt like I was dying and could not stop coughing so hard my ribs ached for days.I had fever, chills, vomiting and fatigue like I've never had before.
I started on Tamiflu after about 5 days but didn't feel right for another 2-3 weeks. I hope you recover faster than I did

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone. Since I got back from hospital, I’m doing a LOT better (maybe the shot did offer some protection?)

During last night, the chills, fever (101.9 at the highest) and cough was so bad. My sides by my ribs hurt so so bad from the hard coughing nonstop.

They gave me strong prescription cough meds. DH is on tamiful now, but he has it much worse now than I do. He is how I was during the night. I may have to call one of our anesthesia friends to come give him an IV. (But I don’t want anyone coming to this sick house.... I sent my college son back to the other house today).

It sounds like a real doozy @whitewave..I hope he starts to feel better soon...Can he give himself an IV? I don’t know if you can do that yourself when you’re a physician..It looks like you’re on the way to beating this thing. That was a good idea to send your son to your other house. Hopefully he won’t get it..Fingers crossed you both feel much better in the morning..

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like a real doozy @whitewave..I hope he starts to feel better soon...Can he give himself an IV? I don’t know if you can do that yourself when you’re a physician..It looks like you’re on the way to beating this thing. That was a good idea to send your son to your other house. Hopefully he won’t get it..Fingers crossed you both feel much better in the morning..

Idk if he can but he said he doesn’t want anyone coming over, so I’m pushing fluids on him. He is so busy this month and has so many surgeries to do that he really can’t afford to miss work— lotta cancer surgeries etc. IDk what is happening there. He is in my daughter’s bed and I’m in our bed with the dogs. We figure this way our coughing won’t wake each other up and I’m passed the chills and he is in the middle of the chills.

I forgot how bad the flu is.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my G-d Whitewave I’m so sorry! Can you get someone to come over (a relative) to help you and your husband through this? It sounds scary and terrible. I hope you feel better soon, Tamiflu really worked for me so I hope you are doing better soon. Virtual hugs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very sorry you are both so sick! The flu shot has a dismal effectiveness record. Elderberry syrup has been shown to be helpful and likely safer than Tamiflu.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry that you are both so sick. I hope the duration is shorter than expected and that you are both on the mend soon!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no I am so sorry @whitewave! :(
I am glad you are feeling better and hope your dh starts feeling much better very soon.

Sending get well vibes your way and lots of good wishes.

getwellsoon.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave the flu is the pits! Sending you and your DH healing energies and hoping it passes sooner rather than later!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Healing dust! My husband had flu for the first time last year (type b) and he was so sick, luckily the rest of us didn't get it but thank goodness because he needed a lot of help

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh @whitewave! Take care of yourself (and DH).

I remember one year when both my parents were sick with the flu. I brought them some food because they were so sick. My Mom was like, "leave it on the
front porch." Didnt want me anywhere near them (I had young kids at home). One had gotten the flu shot and one hadnt.

Hoping the antibiotics kick in real soon!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my G-d Whitewave I’m so sorry! Can you get someone to come over (a relative) to help you and your husband through this? It sounds scary and terrible. I hope you feel better soon, Tamiflu really worked for me so I hope you are doing better soon. Virtual hugs.

People have been dropping off food and drinks at the door and then running away lol (I don’t blame them and that is how I want them to do it).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very sorry you are both so sick! The flu shot has a dismal effectiveness record. Elderberry syrup has been shown to be helpful and likely safer than Tamiflu.

Girl, I was downing Sambucol for a few days before the trip and then starting again on Sunday night. Maybe that is why I’m doing better faster??

Anyway... BTDT and thanks for the suggestion. My daughter is coming home today or tomorrow so I told her to bring Clorox spray and I’ll put her on Sambucol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone for the healing thoughts prayers and dust.

Tyty that is funny how I just posted about food drop and run and then I saw your post lol.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just went and gave DH a dose of sambucol. Thanks for the reminder.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I teach in NYC, MANY have been out with the flu! Staff and students. I get the shot every year and so far I've been OK. Speedy recovery to you and to everyone else, it's not too late! Get your shot!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I teach in NYC, MANY have been out with the flu! Staff and students. I get the shot every year and so far I've been OK. Speedy recovery to you and to everyone else, it's not too late! Get your shot!

Yes, definitely get the shot because I do think it would provide a measure of protection, even if it’s not the same strain.

I’m doing better than DH is doing, but I also got a heavy steroid breathing treatment yesterday.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry whitewave, the chills and fever are horrible but the coughing was really bad, it took me months to get rid of the cough when I got the flu, then I had post flu dizziness, this was in '99 New Years even going into 2000 which I slept into and woke up once and saw a ball go down in Vegas, my mom died on 1/8/00 and I was too sick to go to FL immediately to be there for my Dad, one thing I cannot stress enough is how fast it comes on, I had been sick all fall with some gastro thing and coughing, it started to clear up early December and I was walking thru the grocery store with a cart and all of a sudden I got a terrible headache, coughing and I was hotternhell and barely got to my car and made it home and that was it, that quick of time, within an hour I was sicker than I'd ever been in my adult life at that time. Sending healilng vibes for the hubster and sending good vibes the kids won't get it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results