shape
carat
color
clarity

I bet he gets better grades this semester . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
rofl love it!

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Hahahaha...this makes me think of the Scarlet Letter. That''s so funny! I''m so glad my parents didn''t do that to me during my slacker high school years..

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
GENIUS!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smart parents!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''m totally printing that out and making copies to give to some of my students tomorrow. I luckily have a number of great students this semester, but I also have ones that are just too lazy to do what they need to in order to pass. One student told me he didn''t have an assignment, and I had SEEN him do it, so I looked in his folder behind the top page, and there it was, completed. He was just too lazy to get his folder out and turn it in! I can''t force my students to do this (that''s the parents'' job) but I can still try to get through to them!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My initial reaction was amusement. However . . .

I''m not a parent, but as a teacher I find that motivating "internal dropouts" is one of my most difficult challenges. I can''t imagine that fear of public humiliation will be enough to motivate a student for the long term.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
As long as they are CERTAIN that his issue is motivation and not learning disabilities...shaming a kid won''t cure dyslexia or other processing issues. Shaming and fear of failure can just lead to depression, cutting, anorexia, or even the sort of monsters we have seen shooting their classmates in schools around the country. As an educator, I''m not certain about shaming as a technique; historically and according to much research it leads to higher drop out levels and paralyzing depression. On the flip side, social promotion and other esteem-building nonsense is equally worthless. I wonder what the parents did every day in order to ensure that their son learned how to study and organize his time in a more high school appropriate format. Teachers can not go home and make sure that homework is done, parents (esp ones who have degrees) need to teach these skills. Not enough info in this blurb to really know the back story.

I am tempted to give this to my students too Sabine. You know they will start out talking about how the parents are wrong...but we will discuss students'' personal responsibilities and what advice/skills they would pass along to a frosh. Thanks for posting this LAJennifer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results