clarity

I am so ready for Thanksgiving

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a cooking/baking person so I am sooooo ready for Thanksgiving :appl:

Q

Queenie60

Me too! One of my favorite celebrations! No gift giving, just gathering with good food and libations. I'm home for the day, brining my turkeys, making yams, cakes, mashed potatoes and setting my table for 12! Oh what fun...... :appl: :wavey:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm jealous that American thanksgiving is so big. Up here, it's a holiday obviously, but we don't go as crazy for it. Christmas is usually our big 'do'.
Hope all the americans have a wonderful time with their families!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too!

Not from cooking, mind you, but from getting my nails done!

They are black with gold specks/glitter - loving them! They're so festive.

How fun to be anticipating the holiday! My favorite holiday by far.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cj2008 please post a pic of your nails they sound really festive.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie,
Wow, that sound like my family when I was little, table for 12. I miss those days with big family Thanksgivings.

Q

Queenie60

Oh - this is easy! I've had up to 28 for Thanksgiving in the past. I'm so relieved that many family members aren't going to make it this year. I feel that I am for once enjoying the process, not stressed, everyone can fit at one table and this time, it's a potluck. I'm only in charge of turkey, gravy,stuffing, mashed potatoes, my husbands Armenian Pilaf, yams and a chocolate cake. Everything else is being brought by others. In years of past, I provided everything and worked for days. Well...... those days are over, I have become more wise! It will be a wonderful day! Enjoy and have a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving day. :love:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am ready for a four day weekend. :snore:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bone stock for gravy is done.
Brine for the turkey is cooling.
Cheesecake is about to be baked then it will be chilled for 24 hours minimum.

I have my MIL here helping me. Like we used to do in NJ. And it's really lovely to have her as company. Working side by side.

Tomorrow I am making the cranberry sauce. Prepping, cleaning and chopping all the veggies. I will half way cook the sweet potatoes and get everything done for the stuffing except actually putting the bread cubes in.

That's about it. Everything else will be done in the morning and ready to go for lunch! Small thanksgiving for us this year so all we are having is turkey, stuffing, gravy, roasted veggies, candied sweet potatoes, arugula and beet salad, cranberry sauce, sauteed green beans, and cheesecake. All home made. Easy peasy.

I too am really looking forward to the holiday.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
I am actually heading out of town w/ just me and my BF . . . excited but apprehensive abt possible weather. We have been dating for over two years but this is our first long trip together.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
16ocean|1448425446|3953878 said:
I am actually heading out of town w/ just me and my BF . . . excited but apprehensive abt possible weather. We have been dating for over two years but this is our first long trip together.

Are you driving? And how far?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
autumngems|1448407940|3953750 said:
Cj2008 please post a pic of your nails they sound really festive.

Sure!

It was a little hard to capture the gold, they were showing up silvery for some reason.

img_20151125_100138.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want some quiet down time. No cooking but I will be helping my sister tend to the guests and clean up afterwards.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ,
Love the nails!!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I am going to show my lack of knowledge, why do you brine a turkey? Never heard of this.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
autumngems|1448476718|3954100 said:
Ok, I am going to show my lack of knowledge, why do you brine a turkey? Never heard of this.

You brine the turkey to make it moist and flavorful. You use 1 oz of salt for each pound of turkey. You don't have to use seasonings, but I do in addition. I brine for 24 hours.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to try the brine thing next year. My house smells so good right now

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Are you driving? And how far?

Just saw this many, many, moons later we went to Yosemite!
So fun. It's ummmm 7ish hours from where we live in SoCal

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results