shape
carat
color
clarity

I’m Stumped!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t fit the life of me figure out what’s going on on this woman’s head!

5C514BFB-9CD7-456B-8E0B-D941B5861CE2.jpeg

The image is from the inside of the top of a box of silverplate flatware - the whole inside cover is shown below. The pattern was introduced in 1926, although this particular line of silverware was called “1881 Rogers. I assume this particular set originally came in this box since I have no reason to assume otherwise.

E7322507-2537-4340-9D0B-A6BD5FA91A13.jpeg

Anyhow, I’m totally stumped as to what that image -specifically the woman’s hair or headdress - is supposed to represent. Any ideas?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like she’s been got at by the Borg (Star Trek) and is on her way to being part of the collective :shifty:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a quick look online and couldn't find anything that resembles this...headdress, I guess? The name Joan is at the bottom, maybe it's supposed to be Joan of Arc? Although I don't know why she'd be inside a silverware box - And I have no idea what those things on her head are!

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s obviously depicting what’s going on in a hysterical Victorian female’s head.

I can think of a few CS vendors that she should go visit for some retail therapy
:lol:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s obviously depicting what’s going on in a hysterical Victorian female’s head.

I can think of a few CS vendors that she should go visit for some retail therapy
:lol:

Sadly, I think this is it @Rfisher Good interpretation imo!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

By the way, Kenny - 1881 Rogers was produced by the Oneida Community that you’ve posted about before. Apparently 1881 was significant as the year that the community incorporated its silver-making business and issued shares to its members.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a quick look online and couldn't find anything that resembles this...headdress, I guess? The name Joan is at the bottom, maybe it's supposed to be Joan of Arc? Although I don't know why she'd be inside a silverware box - And I have no idea what those things on her head are!

I suspect you’re right in guessing Joan of Arc. The metal neck protection suggests that the green cape might in fact be covering a suit of armor.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @Rfisher is onto something about hysterical Victorians ladies....!!!!

I also thought Joan of Arc. But Joan of Arc would be wearing more obvious armor and would be holding a sword......and I haven't seen any images of her wearing a cloak over her armor.

Looking more closely at the second photo that is a bit clearer, I don't think she has a metal neckpiece. It looks to me that shes wearing a translucent headscarf that is wrapped around her neck. And the circular brush like designs (powder puffs?) are on the scarf.
I think the reason we can't tell what's going on with her head is just the quality of the printing on the box. If we saw the original artwork, it would probably be more apparent that she's wearing a delicate scarf over her hair.
This is just my observation, and I could be completely wrong.
If we could decipher the signature, we could research the artist and know more.

I tried Google Images, but got nuthin' on the portrait or the signature.

The design on the scarf reminds me of the old Coty powder box.
Screenshot_20230405-191146~2.png

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is proof that alien's have visited earth.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that was a pic taken today, I wouldn't be surprised if they were just her tattoos.

If that community was very avant-garde back in the roaring 20s perhaps they were into extreme tattoos.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The collar and weird head gear made me think of your mystery lady @VRBeauty. Perhaps they had the same clothing designer :mrgreen2:

April 5, 1626: Anna Koltovskaya, Tsaritsa of Russia, died at the Convent of Vedenski-Tikhvinski. She was the fourth wife of Tsar Ivan IV the Terrible and the daughter of a courtesan. Although fourth marriages were prohibited in Russian Orthodoxy, Ivan was determined. Unfortunately, though maybe not for her, he got tired of her after two years, repudiated her, and packed her off to the convent where she became a nun, taking the name Daria. She was one of two wives to outlive Ivan.
Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 9.49.35 PM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results