shape
carat
color
clarity

Hysteroscopy

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going in this morning for a hysterocopy. I have a fibroid, endometrial thickening, and I want an ablation. So, this warrants a look. Have any of you had a hysteroscopy? How was it? How did you feel afterward? Was there a recovery period or were you totally fine afterward?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any info to offer you, but just wanted to wish you well! I hope that it all turns out ok and that you have a speedy recovery.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck Housecat! Sorry I have no advice to offer either but am sending healing vibes and good luck PS dust your way.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure I'll be in time for you to see this before your procedure, House Cat. I only know about hysteroscopies from reading about them. I think they are similar to endometrial biopsies, but a bit more thorough-being a real exam (the way a colonoscopy is of the colon) as well as an opportunity for taking tissue samples. I mean, the doctor can see and take photos of everything as well as biopsy the tissue.

I have never had one, but having had six endometrial biopsies, I do know what it is like to have your uterus biopsied. In my case, even under the anesthesia they used for one it was hard for them to get a good sample of tissue from me. I always tried to cooperate, but involuntarily clenched my cervix when (during my other five) I was conscious. Terrible cramping.

I suspect that recovery will not be terrible. Maybe a little bleeding and cramping, but nothing worse than a menstrual period. My endometrial biopsies did not even cause much bleeding or cramping. Have you had them? What did your doctor say? Were you given any brochures?

At any rate, good luck!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi House Cat, I have had two Hysteroscopies the past 7 years and didn't find them bad at all. I didn't experience any pain afterward and only very light spotting. I was given pain needs but didn't need to take them. I also has a thermal ablation over 15 years ago. I can not say enough good things about the ablation. Please let us know how you are doing afterward. If you gave any questions about the ablation I will be happy to answer them.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am having a fourth myomectomy (fibroid removal) via hysteroscopic resectoscope right before Thanksgiving. Last year, I had massive bleeding that wouldn't stop - and I would bleed through pads and through clothing. Went to the doctor, who said I have a submucosal fibroid. The doctor last year I believed use a morcellator (no longer recommended by the FDA) through the hysteroscopic resectoscope.
The first surgery last year was painful because I had a catheter inserted for a week into the uterus. If they remove the fibroid, you will have some bleeding. The worst pain came when the bladder was full and pushed on my uterus. Stupid doctor said surgery on Monday, and I could go back to work on Wednesday. Biggest bunch of crap. The hardest part was that I was literally exhausted for weeks afterwards.

Skip to this year. I wasn't getting pregnant, so, off to a new doctor, who says, the fibroid was never completely removed, grew back, and is impeding my ability to get pregnant. After the second unsuccessful surgery this year, I learn that my fibroid is old enough that it's calcified and the "newest" technology used to remove fibroids doesn't work. The fibroid keeps breaking blades. That, and since I absorb water too quickly, I can't stay under long enough to get the fibroid out. However, since they're not using a catheter (and not likely to use one), recovery has been far more easier. They did give me a narcotic at the hospital at the last surgery, but it was about four weeks after the first one. They also gave me high dose ibuprofen prescription. Pain wise, I experienced more pain in my abdominal area the second time, but I literally had back to back surgeries (as close as you can safely have). I still had lots of fatigue following each surgery. My last surgery was the Friday before Labor Day weekend, and I only started feeling fairly normal at the end of the month. Since the fibroid is still partially there, I am having recurrent intermittent spotting.

Oh yea, this time around, my surgeries are on Friday, but I am still taking Mondays off, and working from home the rest of the week.

I know this is pretty detailed and probably TMI. Hopefully they get your fibroid out all at once and for a quick recovery!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I had one last year and had some cramping and light bleeding but was fine in a few days.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...it didn't go well.

I had an endometrial biopsy with no trouble at all last year. I also had a mirena put in without trouble. Then, when we decided it wasn't doing the trick and it needed to be removed AND we discovered the strings were missing, I still did very well during a tough removal. This procedure wasn't like any of the others.

To start, I was under the impression that I was going to be sedated and given pain medication for this procedure. They told me I was mistaken, that they sedate for the ablation only. I was kicking myself for leaving my bottle of valium at home. The doctor did give a strong cervical block. As she was administering the block, I tried to carry on light conversation so that I could stay calm, but then the room got dark and my lips went numb, and I couldn't hear anything... I was passing out. I didn't feel particularly nervous...but maybe I was dissociated or something. Once they got me back to normal, we waited for the block to do its job and they started with the procedure.

It was incredibly painful. I am actually really puzzled about how this procedure is just a little crampy for other women. They fill your uterus with water and push this camera around in it and the cramping was so intense, I felt like I was in childbirth. I kept asking her to stop and get out...she didn't stop, nor did she get out. After the procedure, I felt like fainting again. I couldn't walk straight, had to get my dad and he helped me to walk out of the building. I felt wild-eyed and in shock. I wasn't even forming full sentences with him.

Today, I feel violated because when I was asking the doctor to stop, I MEANT IT. I also feel violated because, I am really sensitive when it comes to procedures in that area. It is probably why my body tried to pass out. It was a defense mechanism of some kind.

But I also feel shame. Shame because I have read a lot of women having no problem at all with this procedure and I don't understand why is was so incredibly painful for me. I'm so confused why it was like that.

I do know this, two years ago, my doctor first mentioned this procedure to me and I told her I would need serious sedation for it. She agreed to it, but then we went other routes, biopsy, mirena, etc. I think she just thought I was exaggerating when I told her I was sensitive with these procedures. It is all a terrible misunderstanding, but it has left me rather shaken.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG House Cat, I am so, so sorry. The reason I wasn't in any pain is because I was put out for the entire procedure. All I remember is them asking me to count backward from 100 and waking up in the recovery room. What you went thru sounds truly awful. I can't believe you were awake for this procedure. I would find another doctor if I were you. I've had this procedure done a few times in the past twenty years by two different doctors and they both put me under for the procedure.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1445138461|3939447 said:
OMG House Cat, I am so, so sorry. The reason I wasn't in any pain is because I was put out for the entire procedure. All I remember is them asking me to count backward from 100 and waking up in the recovery room. What you went thru sounds truly awful. I can't believe you were awake for this procedure. I would find another doctor if I were you. I've had this procedure done a few times in the past twenty years by two different doctors and they both put me under for the procedure.
Oh thank you Calliecake! Everything makes so much more sense to me now!

My husband and I have been contemplating leaving our HMO for some time now. They may be highly rated, but they treat patients like garbage. I think this is the final straw. :nono:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HouseCat, I am so sorry. I have never had something like that done, but that was WAY out of line. You should have been walked through what to expect before the day of. It should not have been a surprise that you were awake (and to this, I say AWAKE!?!?) or what they were doing. You should have been able to have your husband with you if that helped. Oh..... And when the patient says stop, you STOP.

The whole thing seems like a big mess up on their part. So many things not okay there.

I hope they saw what they needed to and can send complete records to your new doctor.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
:o Ohhh good heavens HC I'm so sorry you went thru that! I agree to find a different doctor-that's just completely ludicrous.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1445137120|3939439 said:
Well...it didn't go well.

I had an endometrial biopsy with no trouble at all last year. I also had a mirena put in without trouble. Then, when we decided it wasn't doing the trick and it needed to be removed AND we discovered the strings were missing, I still did very well during a tough removal. This procedure wasn't like any of the others.

To start, I was under the impression that I was going to be sedated and given pain medication for this procedure. They told me I was mistaken, that they sedate for the ablation only. I was kicking myself for leaving my bottle of valium at home. The doctor did give a strong cervical block. As she was administering the block, I tried to carry on light conversation so that I could stay calm, but then the room got dark and my lips went numb, and I couldn't hear anything... I was passing out. I didn't feel particularly nervous...but maybe I was dissociated or something. Once they got me back to normal, we waited for the block to do its job and they started with the procedure.

It was incredibly painful. I am actually really puzzled about how this procedure is just a little crampy for other women. They fill your uterus with water and push this camera around in it and the cramping was so intense, I felt like I was in childbirth. I kept asking her to stop and get out...she didn't stop, nor did she get out. After the procedure, I felt like fainting again. I couldn't walk straight, had to get my dad and he helped me to walk out of the building. I felt wild-eyed and in shock. I wasn't even forming full sentences with him.

Today, I feel violated because when I was asking the doctor to stop, I MEANT IT. I also feel violated because, I am really sensitive when it comes to procedures in that area. It is probably why my body tried to pass out. It was a defense mechanism of some kind.

But I also feel shame. Shame because I have read a lot of women having no problem at all with this procedure and I don't understand why is was so incredibly painful for me. I'm so confused why it was like that.

I do know this, two years ago, my doctor first mentioned this procedure to me and I told her I would need serious sedation for it. She agreed to it, but then we went other routes, biopsy, mirena, etc. I think she just thought I was exaggerating when I told her I was sensitive with these procedures. It is all a terrible misunderstanding, but it has left me rather shaken.

I am very angry to hear this happened to you. I too, misunderstood and didn't realize you wouldn't be under anesthesia. My procedures were done under full anesthesia. That being said, I've had a HSG dye test and a saline sonogram, both of which require a catheter and is not done under any anesthesia. The hospital made it very clear that I needed to take high doses of ibuprofen an hour before the procedure for pain and that I could experience some bleeding and cramping. They usually don't recommend having them on back to back days, but I ran into issues and was forced to do so. I'm not sure if the hospital asked you to take painkillers beforehand, but if they didn't, that's very irresponsible. Even having a catheter inserted in you hurts and causes cramping (especially if they spend 10 damn minutes trying to get it in, but it doesn't fit b/c of the fibroid). The hospital also gave me a vicodin prescription, but I'm saving it for the next surgery...
Your doctor should have been sensitive to your needs and to your discomfort. You should never be forced to endure the procedure if you are uncomfortable. I'm sorry for this experience, and hope you find a better and more sensitive doctor.

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
HI

I know I am late, but I am going in for my second one in November. I was also put to sleep for entire procedure. I wonder why they did not offer that choice for you? I am having a polyp removed that has doubled in size over last year, so we will take it out and biopsy it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear you had this kind of pain and experience. Fwiw, my friend and coworker at Mayo had ablation, was told it would only be discomfort and she found it to be very painful. My other friend who had it from the same surgeon said it was pain free! Yikes.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat I'm so sorry! I'm horrible with procedures and passed out during a 5 minute compression mammogram. I would probably do the same thing. I have never had that procedure but it sounds dreadful. I would want to be sedated. I hope you are feeling better soon.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my goodness that is horrible..I am so sorry that happened to you..I had one about 10-12 years ago and I was sedated and I have no problems with it other than being a little sore..they went thru my abdomen when they did mine.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They tortured you, pure and simple. No one does colonoscopies without sedation/anesthesia. Why would they do the equivalent-a long procedure involving cameras and biopsies-on a uterus on an internal organ only a woman has-without said sedation or anesthesia? Try doing something like that to a man! No one knows-except the women who have had them-how much they hurt! I thought my endometrial biopsies were bad, until I had a hysterosalpingogram, where the doctor shoots die up through your uterus and into your fallopian tubes to see them. But at least that is relatively quick. I would tear out my hair if I had endometrial biopsy pain that didn't stop! You should sue them for sexual discrimination!

I am so very sorry that happened!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results