Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Hysterectomy Stories

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
1,828
I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy on August 15 and would love to hear your stories.

Since the birth of my daughter in January I have developed very heavy and painful periods. So much so that sometimes I cannot leave the house. My quality of life has gone down and I'm just tired - physically, mentally and emotionally. I've had bloodwork done and it all comes back normal so no leads there. I have a significant family history of uterine and colon cancer which has lead my GYN to believe that I have Lynch Syndrome, which is a gentic predisposition to those cancers. I also have a blood clotting disorder (MTHFR C677T) with a previous history of DVT (blood clot) that prevents me from taking any type of hormones to control the bleeding.

My doctor is going to do the surgery vaginally with laproscopic assist and will remove only my uterus and cervix.
 

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
2,357
I don't have any stories, but I'm sorry you're having to go through this. How do you feel about it? Are you sorry you have to get it done but think it's the best solution given the problem?
 

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
1,828
Mayerling - I am not sorry at all! It's actually a relief to know that I will finally be about to just go about life and not have to worry about when and where the bleeding will start. My doctor and I initially discussed doing an IUD (Mirena) or an ablation, however, my insurance company (Medical Mutual) will not pay for an IUD. Ablations only work about 50% of the time and can mask cancer, which in my case is not a good thing given my family history.
 

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
2,357
In that case, I'm happy that a solution has been found that works for you. I wish you all the best :wavey:
 

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
6,232
I don't have any stories but want to wish you good luck! In a way I think it might feel empowering to remove an organ that may likely become cancerous in the future, like you're taking charge of your health. Just make sure the doctors treating you are aware of your MTHFR gene variant and DVT history, since the post-op period puts you at risk for DVTs, and try your best to get up on your feet as soon as possible to keep the blood clots away.
 

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,961
my SIL had one. I don't know the details, but there were no complications. she rides/trains horses for a living. I say that so you that can see that she is still physically active and well.
 

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
5,660
I had my uterus removed laparoscopically but the cervix was left intact. I feel much better, no bleeding, iron back to normal. It improved my quality of life! Hope your surgery goes well.
 

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Aug 16, 2008
Messages
656
I had mine almost a year ago today.

For a couple of years I had suffered from massively heavy periods, so heavy I couldn't leave the house for days at a time. It was seriously affecting my quality of life. It was discovered I had a number of very large fibroids. My doctor said they could be removed, but would come back sooner or later. He was happy to do the op if that was what I wanted.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy, with a bikini line incision. My doctor said a vaginal removal wasn't really possible due to the size of the fibroids. He also found endometriosis and uterine polyps.

I spent 5 nights in hospital (although I think hospital stays here in Australia are usually longer), then went home where my darling husband looked after me very well. I had very little pain, but I took my recovery quite slowly, and followed all the instructions about not lifting, pushing, driving etc.

The major struggle I had initially was with swelling, but that went completely away after about 3 months.

I have never looked back, it was the best decision I could have made.
 

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
1,828
jstarfireb|1311661605|2976919 said:
I don't have any stories but want to wish you good luck! In a way I think it might feel empowering to remove an organ that may likely become cancerous in the future, like you're taking charge of your health. Just make sure the doctors treating you are aware of your MTHFR gene variant and DVT history, since the post-op period puts you at risk for DVTs, and try your best to get up on your feet as soon as possible to keep the blood clots away.

jstar: I've already spoken to my doctor and he's aware of my clotting so it's likely I'll be put on Lovenox or heparin after the surgery for safe measure. It's something I brought up at my last appointment because I was concerned about it :read:
 

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
188
DivaDiamond007|1311607001|2976342 said:
I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy on August 15 and would love to hear your stories.

Since the birth of my daughter in January I have developed very heavy and painful periods. So much so that sometimes I cannot leave the house. My quality of life has gone down and I'm just tired - physically, mentally and emotionally. I've had bloodwork done and it all comes back normal so no leads there. I have a significant family history of uterine and colon cancer which has lead my GYN to believe that I have Lynch Syndrome, which is a gentic predisposition to those cancers. I also have a blood clotting disorder (MTHFR C677T) with a previous history of DVT (blood clot) that prevents me from taking any type of hormones to control the bleeding.

My doctor is going to do the surgery vaginally with laproscopic assist and will remove only my uterus and cervix.

Out of curiosity when you were diagnosed with MTHFR C677T did they test you for Factor V Leiden as well? I am seeing a lot of people who have Factor V Leiden (Hetero and Homo) also with the MTHFR mutation. My family is FVL Hetero so I was curious if there was some sort of link or if it's just coincidence.

I am so sorry to hear you're having such a terrible time. Wishing you all the best.
 

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
1,828
missjae|1311728748|2977567 said:
DivaDiamond007|1311607001|2976342 said:
I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy on August 15 and would love to hear your stories.

Since the birth of my daughter in January I have developed very heavy and painful periods. So much so that sometimes I cannot leave the house. My quality of life has gone down and I'm just tired - physically, mentally and emotionally. I've had bloodwork done and it all comes back normal so no leads there. I have a significant family history of uterine and colon cancer which has lead my GYN to believe that I have Lynch Syndrome, which is a gentic predisposition to those cancers. I also have a blood clotting disorder (MTHFR C677T) with a previous history of DVT (blood clot) that prevents me from taking any type of hormones to control the bleeding.

My doctor is going to do the surgery vaginally with laproscopic assist and will remove only my uterus and cervix.

Out of curiosity when you were diagnosed with MTHFR C677T did they test you for Factor V Leiden as well? I am seeing a lot of people who have Factor V Leiden (Hetero and Homo) also with the MTHFR mutation. My family is FVL Hetero so I was curious if there was some sort of link or if it's just coincidence.

I am so sorry to hear you're having such a terrible time. Wishing you all the best.


missjae: I was diagnosed with MTHFR (hetero) in June 2009 after the DVT was discovered. A full panel of clotting disorders was done and I do not have FVL. After my clot my mom was tested for clotting disorders and she also came back positive for MTHFR (hetero). We are lucky in that the hetero mutuation is less likely to cause clots or birth defects (it can prevent folic acid from being absorbed), however, as in my case, that is not always true.

The one strange thing, however, is that I also have something odd going on with my Protein C and Protein S functionality. It's not totally abnormal or deficent, but it's also not normal. For the time being my hematologist has decided to not keep me on warfarin (coumadin) but I am on an aspirin regimen.

I never had so many issues with my period until after my daughter was born - not even when I was on coumadin for six months. I am due to start my LAST PERIOD EVER this week and I'm kind of excited :lol:
 

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
5,537
I wish you well, Diva. I too am possibly facing this option. Sometimes the removal of the uterus is a much more attractive option than having to live with all the complications that go on when our bodies don't work correctly. I often think of all the women who suffered and died in the decades before these situations could be diagnosed and treated. May sugery go quickly and successfully.
 

ZestfullyBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
1,992
Upgradable|1311782903|2978026 said:
I wish you well, Diva. I too am possibly facing this option. Sometimes the removal of the uterus is a much more attractive option than having to live with all the complications that go on when our bodies don't work correctly. I often think of all the women who suffered and died in the decades before these situations could be diagnosed and treated. May sugery go quickly and successfully.

Well ladies I am 37 and just had one. It was a laparoscopic supra cervical hyster and performed July 19th.

I had a huge fibroid that caused my uterus to be extreme huge. This thing was affecting my other organs. Hindering them from doing there normal daily functions. I was SCARED outta my mind and so tense and stressed out about the surgery.

My doctor was perfect, have followup appt Tues (tomorrow), and I feel GREAT! No complications during the surgery and no complications after. Truely a blessing! I don't regret it a bit.

I do know the stress of the decision. I was there believe me. If there is any questions you have, I mean anything, I'd be happy to help if I can. Sending you lots of dust and support!
 

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
11,291
I am always late to the party! Hope your surgery went well, had it done 7 years ago vaginal/laproscopic. Was a piece of cake, easiest surgery I ever had. Four days in hospital, no pain. Wish I had done it sooner!
 

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
1,828
****UPDATE****

My surgery was one week ago and it went great :)) My doctor removed my uterus, cervix and tubes. My ovaries are healthy and so he kept both of them for the hormones. I stayed in the hospital 3 days/2 nights and I've been resting at home since. I have a small incision right below/in my bellybutton that's about an inch long and a few internal stitches as well, however, I'm not even spotting any more from those. The first few days were pretty painful; I took percocet around the clock. Now I only take 1/2 of a pill if I'm feeling sore and the other half at bedtime. I anticipate not needing any strong pain meds by my follow-up appointment on Friday. I was given 2 doses of Lovenox (an injectible blood thinner) during my hospital stay to keep the clots away and am now back on my aspirin. I was really worried about getting a clot or pulmonary embolism after the surgery.

The worst part was coming out of the anesthesia. It makes me nauseous and I had a lot of zofran while in the hospital. I also still tire pretty easily but that is getting better with each day that passes. I have also been pretty emotional lately. I wanted the surgery and it was necessary in the sense that my quality of life was going downhill fast, but it is still something that I've had to come to terms with. I have two beautiful children and DH and I knew we were done when we got pregnant with our second (he got a vasectomy), but some days I wonder "what if". Just part of being a mother I guess. I also struggle with not being able to do things. Just laying around resting is hard for me. My kids are 3 and 7.5 months so I'm used to go go going all the time. My son (the 3 year old) has been so concerned about me and has been showering me in hugs and kisses :love:

My advice to anyone going in for surgery: do the deep breathing exercises as soon as you can afterwards! It will hurt, but it will make you feel so much better coming out of the anesthesia and the days following. I remember feeling this way after my c-section - like I can't get a good cleansing breath - but when I do the exercises I feel so much better.

As an aside, on Sunday we made the decsision to put down my (almost) 11 year old pug that has lived with my parents. She was diagnosed with end-stange renal failure about a month ago. My mom has been keeping her comfortable but puggie took a turn for the worse on Sunday morning and was unable to walk and refused to eat or drink. My mom knew it was time so my family rushed over, said goodbye and I accompanied my mom to the vet. It was very difficult to do, but we did not want her to suffer. She was a wonderful dog and she will be missed.
 

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
21,161
HI:

Healing vibes across the miles; sorry about your pooch....

kind regards, Sharon
 

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
11,291
So glad all went well and you kept your ovaries! It makes a Big difference!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Scorpio Style
    Scorpio Style
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top