shape
carat
color
clarity

Hybrid lilies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Sam''s Club has 50 stems of hybrid lilies (cross between oriental and asiatic says the website) for $75 and I just love the colored assortment Hybrid Lilies from Sam''s Club.

First, does anyone know if SC might carry the same flowers come July, when I''d order them? Second, does anyone know if these kinds of lilies are DIY friendly for centerpieces? For bouquets?

I tried my hand at making a rose bouquet and I was quite proud of my first trial but 2 of the outer flower heads became quite strained under the pressure from me tying the top too tight
7.gif
I''m wondering if this would happen with all kinds of flowers or is it the heaviness of the rose head that caused this?

Thank you!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
No guarantees...but I asked my mother who is a florist, and she says that July is prime season for most lilies in most of the US. So, assuming that, they should be available at many places and will generally be a good price.

Hope it turns out to be true!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 10:37:36 AM
Author: neatfreak
No guarantees...but I asked my mother who is a florist, and she says that July is prime season for most lilies in most of the US. So, assuming that, they should be available at many places and will generally be a good price.

Hope it turns out to be true!

Thanks for that info, neatfreak :) At least there is hope. I''ll probably just order whatever they have when July rolls around and try not to get attached now to a certain flower. If I have to, I''ll get the lavendar and white roses (which should be there year round) and just be done with it.

Do you happen to know if lilies having any special care needs if I''m DIY-ing?

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
So Happy, no suggestions on the lillies b/c I know nothing about them. Sorry! But I''ve been doing flower research lately b/c I''m thinking of using Costco. Do you care about the fact that it won''t be a particular color or that you won''t know what colors you''ll get until you get them? Will you make your bouquet, the bout.''s and all the other bouquets assorted colors too?
Also, I asked Costco about the seasonal flower issue and they say that all the flowers they have on their website are available all year, so even if the flower traditionally isn''t in season, it''s still available. I guess that''s the same for Sams but you may want to shoot them an email. I also asked if there''s any way I can order a particular color and they said no but they are trying to make particular colors available and they may be by September.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 3:12:11 PM
Author: dixie94
So Happy, no suggestions on the lillies b/c I know nothing about them. Sorry! But I''ve been doing flower research lately b/c I''m thinking of using Costco. Do you care about the fact that it won''t be a particular color or that you won''t know what colors you''ll get until you get them? Will you make your bouquet, the bout.''s and all the other bouquets assorted colors too?
Also, I asked Costco about the seasonal flower issue and they say that all the flowers they have on their website are available all year, so even if the flower traditionally isn''t in season, it''s still available. I guess that''s the same for Sams but you may want to shoot them an email. I also asked if there''s any way I can order a particular color and they said no but they are trying to make particular colors available and they may be by September.
Hey my almost wedding-twin :)

I am thinking I''d like a pro to do my bouquet and any bouts etc but doing centerpieces myself. However, if I came across a flower that was just so simple to work with and would look as good as if a pro had prepared it, then I''m open to considering that and would then do my own bouquet as well.

I will email SC and also check out Costco. Thanks!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
1.gif

So for the lillies, you were thinking of the store doing the bouquets and you doing the centerpieces? Do they have that option? I know that at Costco, there are very few flowers where they do the bouquets, mainly roses and a few other things. If it''s in their bulk section, they probably aren''t arranging them for you. Or are you thinking of getting the bouquets done from somewhere else and just getting the centerpiece flowers from Sams or somewhere similar?

What sort of centerpieces do you want? Would they just be the assorted colors of what''s available? Are you worried at all about the colors that are available not matching the colors of your wedding?

Sorry if you''ve already answered these questions. I''ve been dealing w/flowers lately so I have tons of random thoughts in my mind that probably have no relevance to you at all!

The lillies are very pretty, btw!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 5:11:52 PM

1.gif

So for the lillies, you were thinking of the store doing the bouquets and you doing the centerpieces? Do they have that option? I know that at Costco, there are very few flowers where they do the bouquets, mainly roses and a few other things. If it''s in their bulk section, they probably aren''t arranging them for you. Or are you thinking of getting the bouquets done from somewhere else and just getting the centerpiece flowers from Sams or somewhere similar?

What sort of centerpieces do you want? Would they just be the assorted colors of what''s available? Are you worried at all about the colors that are available not matching the colors of your wedding?

Sorry if you''ve already answered these questions. I''ve been dealing w/flowers lately so I have tons of random thoughts in my mind that probably have no relevance to you at all!

The lillies are very pretty, btw!

As it stands now, the lilies from Sam''s Club would look lovely in the colors they depict. My colors are lilac and sage (with silver accents) so the pinks, mauves, whites, and even that soft orange lily will look nice and add even more color to things. I was thinking I could put 5 per table in some pretty vase or something and that would take care of our centerpieces. I''d then buy some snapdragons or glads from 2g roses for our 2 larger arrangements for our gift table and maybe even the bathroom. I already purchased votives and candles on ebay so that would be that :)

As far as the wearable flowers: my BMs are carring sage green silk fans to which I''ll tie a silver and lilac ribbon and GMs are simply having colored pocket squares in lilac. No need for flowers for them. Parents and a couple other family members will need proper corsages or bouts that I''ll need to have done with a pro. My bouquet and my fiance''s bout, at this time, are also being done by a pro. We''ll see tho. (we wanted orchids which I think are harder to handle)

The whole thing should cost about $300 and I would have pretty good contrl over my colors. I''m still going to take another look at proflowers and keep an open mind. I need to make a firm decision soon tho....as the florist will need to be depositied if I hope to have her work for me!!

Good luck to both of us!!!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Just a note, hybrid lilies can bruise easily, so you have to be careful when transporting them. When they bruise, that part of the petal become kind of transparent. They also come in orange colors, so make sure you are also ok with orange in your wedding.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 10:03:18 PM
Author: qtiekiki
Just a note, hybrid lilies can bruise easily, so you have to be careful when transporting them. When they bruise, that part of the petal become kind of transparent. They also come in orange colors, so make sure you are also ok with orange in your wedding.
Ok! Thank you for the insider scoop on lilies :) I did notice the orange lily and I actually thought it would look nice. I would love to be able to do all lilac and sage centerpieces but with my budget I''m not not seeing an option yet lol. I usually see that I can get "assorted colors" options tho so I''m trying to be flexible.

I really like the fullness of hydrangea but I''ve heard they are very difficult to work with so they''re sort of out. But..........what do we think about carnations instead? I know.......not the most elegant flower ever.......but very inexpensive and could mimick the fullness of the hydrangea..........

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
some more carnations arrangement for you.

carnsarrangementcollage.jpg

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, those are pretty neat, thank you!

I was not thinking of them for my bouquet; just my centerpieces :) For my bouquet, I''m in love with cymbids and other orchids
30.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I know you are not doing carnations for your bouquet. I just thought the bouquet looks neat (kinda modern), and can be put into a square vase or bubble bowl and it will be an arrangement.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
You may also look into stock.

stockarrangement1.jpg

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
another one of stock

stockarrangement2.jpg

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 1:15:51 AM
Author: qtiekiki
You may also look into stock.
What are those purple stock flowers? And what makes a flower "stock" anyway?

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that all those colors would look nice. I wish more places carried more varieties of flowers in single colors but ... what can you do... I think also the lily centerpieces will be pretty w/orchid bouquets.
I like the idea of the sage fans and pocket squares. Very creative!
I think I will try and take after you and be a bit more flexible b/c it would make this process much easier!
I''m not a huge fan of carnations, however, I like those bouquets that are very full w/the carnations. They are pretty!

Good question about what makes a flower a stock flower. I hope someone can answer you.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 2:43:23 PM
I agree that all those colors would look nice. I wish more places carried more varieties of flowers in single colors but ... what can you do... I think also the lily centerpieces will be pretty w/orchid bouquets.
I like the idea of the sage fans and pocket squares. Very creative!
I think I will try and take after you and be a bit more flexible b/c it would make this process much easier!
I''m not a huge fan of carnations, however, I like those bouquets that are very full w/the carnations. They are pretty!

Good question about what makes a flower a stock flower. I hope someone can answer you.
2g Roses and fiftyflowers seem to offer single color options but in amounts that would necassitate me using ALL one color lol. 2g is nice because you can just buy what you need. 1 or 2 bunches? No problem :) But thier shipping isn''t cheap. I was considering doing a mock order w/ 2g''s and then calling a couple local florists to see how much they would charge me for the same. I wouldn''t be paying shipping via the local florist so maybe it would work out cheaper? And I''d get to perhaps pick out the stems myself? I dunno........but is a thought I had.

Yeah, I''m not a carnation lover. I dont'' think I''ve recieved a carnation for 15 years! But they did mimick the hydrangea in some way and I love green hydrangea
7.gif
Its an option and a mighty cheap one too!

The fans are my favorite part of this as they still add color but are functional and unique. The pocket squares were pretty obvious to me when I realized if my girls don''t get flowers that it would feel weird if we put the guys in bouts y''know? We were hoping to find some modern looking lilac and sage diagonally striped ones !!! (Don''t know if we''d go with them for sure but wantd to see how that might look). Heck, I could SEW 5 pocket squares for the cost of one bought retail! And they''d come in any design we want :)

Keep in mind, our ceremony takes place surrounded by flowers and trees so not having flowers for our bridal party will not look bare. It may actually compliment the surroundings better. That''s why I''m obsessing about my centerpieces because I really want them to be great :) (who doesn''t, right?!).

I really enjoy the fact that you and I happen to be on the same train to DIY land and even have similar colors etc. :) If you find anything purple or green (lilac, sage) let me know!!! (You did end up choosing purple and green, yes?.......)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry I didn''t see this before now. Lilies DO bruise really easily so you need to be really gentle with them when arranging. If we''re talking about putting a bunch in a vase and calling it a day, you should be fine.

Hydrangeas are hard to deal with if you are arranging them formally. But again, if you''re just throwing a bunch in a vase, they aren''t hard to arrange. They ARE however prone to wilting, so you need to either do an alum dip or a hot water dip to prevent that from happening so it might not be the easiest option to DIY.

Easy flowers to deal with are roses, gerbera daisies...etc. Basically anything with a sturdy stem that won''t drop pollen. There are many DIY books out there that would be really helpful to you if you go this route.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 3:03:59 PM
Author: neatfreak
Sorry I didn''t see this before now. Lilies DO bruise really easily so you need to be really gentle with them when arranging. If we''re talking about putting a bunch in a vase and calling it a day, you should be fine.

Hydrangeas are hard to deal with if you are arranging them formally. But again, if you''re just throwing a bunch in a vase, they aren''t hard to arrange. They ARE however prone to wilting, so you need to either do an alum dip or a hot water dip to prevent that from happening so it might not be the easiest option to DIY.

Easy flowers to deal with are roses, gerbera daisies...etc. Basically anything with a sturdy stem that won''t drop pollen. There are many DIY books out there that would be really helpful to you if you go this route.
Good advice, NF!!! Thank you.

Do you know about alstromeria? http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=4046 The top two offered at Sam''s Club would look lovely for my own bouquet as they bring in the purple from the BM dresses and the green and of course the white. Are these flowers any better at beign handled in regard to bouquet-making? And I realize these are small blooms.......how many would you say are needed for a medium sized bridal bouquet?

Here is a pic of how free and happy they''d look. I don''t see any other flower but the astros.......picture these in the mostly white ones but with the purple ones scattereed throughout......

alstromeria assrt clors.jpg

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Ah....and here is a pic of the alstros (aka: peruvian liliy) in all pink with fantastic green bits poking out! (love my floral terminology, dontcha?!! lol)

pink peruvian lillies 20 stems (Medium).jpg

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
To address the question about stock first stock is simply the name of the particular flower that was posted the same way that rose is the name for ... well a rose. Stock has a wonderful fragrance but is not a long lasting flower. The advantage would be that it is very easy to design with and when it arrives it is generally ready to use, you do not have to wait for the blossoms to open at all. Hope that clears that up.

Alstro is pretty easy to work with the be honest. You would want to make sure that you gave it enough time to open up properly because it can be fairly tight and the blooms sometimes don''t have that full look when they first arrive. There are no real special handling concerns with these outside of the normal flower issues.

The lilies you would again need to be very careful to ensure that these opened at the proper time. You would want to have them begin to blow open and would need to find a cool place to store them once they were just about perfect. Lilies can be tricky in wedding work for this very reason, they are a living product and therefore can be hard to control when they will open. I think that the colours that you chose are really lovely though.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 5:32:05 PM
Author: sparkel
To address the question about stock first stock is simply the name of the particular flower that was posted the same way that rose is the name for ... well a rose. Stock has a wonderful fragrance but is not a long lasting flower. The advantage would be that it is very easy to design with and when it arrives it is generally ready to use, you do not have to wait for the blossoms to open at all. Hope that clears that up.

Alstro is pretty easy to work with the be honest. You would want to make sure that you gave it enough time to open up properly because it can be fairly tight and the blooms sometimes don''t have that full look when they first arrive. There are no real special handling concerns with these outside of the normal flower issues.

The lilies you would again need to be very careful to ensure that these opened at the proper time. You would want to have them begin to blow open and would need to find a cool place to store them once they were just about perfect. Lilies can be tricky in wedding work for this very reason, they are a living product and therefore can be hard to control when they will open. I think that the colours that you chose are really lovely though.
Thank you, Sparkel
1.gif
You''re so helpful!

Do you happen to know about how many stems I''d need to make a medium sized bouquet for myself (about equal to that of a 20-rose bouquet)? If I go this route, I would be ordering 180 stems which, surely, will be plenty, but I want to have an estimate so I can plan my use for the remainder. I don''t think I want to have these as my centerpieces, too.

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
So Happy,

Sorry your question is a little unclear do you mean how many stems of lilies you would need? I think that you would need to have some greenery to help support them and keep them in place and it would also cushion the lilies. I personally am in love with verigated pitt and I think that would work nicely (pic attached). You would likely need 5-9 stems depending on how open the lilies are themselves. If you decide to use lilies you will want to make sure that you do no lay your bouquet down anytime during the day so ensure that you have vases available to hold them or the will get marked. In addition you want to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you remove the pollen buds on the open lilies. If they come into contact with your dress they will stain badly. If you do come into contact with pollen on your clothes do not touch it but gently wipe it with a chenile stick aka a pipecleaner and do not wet the stain. That is the only way to get it off.

If you are asking how many stems of alstro I think that if you did maybe 10-15 depending on the size that could be good. Once again you may want to collar the outside of your bouquet with a few greens just so that it supports it but it is not necessary with these. Alstro can mark if they are set down but not nearly the same way as lilies.

I suggest that you go to a flower market or a grocery store nearby and just browse around to see what these flowers look like in person to see how many you like the look of. If you want a petite bouquet versus a larger bouquet that will be a factor in how many stems you need. It really is a preference issue. Personally I am a massive bouquet person and the flowers you are currently looking at are fairly light weight in terms of carrying them.

Just remember to keep the stems fairly short so that when you carry your bouquet you can tip it slightly forward so that the flowers and not the stems show in the photos.

HTH,
:) Rebecca

verg pitt.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 7:12:59 PM
Author: sparkel
So Happy,

Sorry your question is a little unclear do you mean how many stems of lilies you would need? I think that you would need to have some greenery to help support them and keep them in place and it would also cushion the lilies. I personally am in love with verigated pitt and I think that would work nicely (pic attached). You would likely need 5-9 stems depending on how open the lilies are themselves. If you decide to use lilies you will want to make sure that you do no lay your bouquet down anytime during the day so ensure that you have vases available to hold them or the will get marked. In addition you want to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you remove the pollen buds on the open lilies. If they come into contact with your dress they will stain badly. If you do come into contact with pollen on your clothes do not touch it but gently wipe it with a chenile stick aka a pipecleaner and do not wet the stain. That is the only way to get it off.

If you are asking how many stems of alstro I think that if you did maybe 10-15 depending on the size that could be good. Once again you may want to collar the outside of your bouquet with a few greens just so that it supports it but it is not necessary with these. Alstro can mark if they are set down but not nearly the same way as lilies.

I suggest that you go to a flower market or a grocery store nearby and just browse around to see what these flowers look like in person to see how many you like the look of. If you want a petite bouquet versus a larger bouquet that will be a factor in how many stems you need. It really is a preference issue. Personally I am a massive bouquet person and the flowers you are currently looking at are fairly light weight in terms of carrying them.

Just remember to keep the stems fairly short so that when you carry your bouquet you can tip it slightly forward so that the flowers and not the stems show in the photos.

HTH,
:) Rebecca
Hi :) Yeah, I was asking about how many alstros I might need to simulate the size of a twenty-rose bouquet. I think you answered that by saying 10 or 15 would do. Right? Nice tip on the bit about cutting the stems short!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
So Happy, I want my colors to be purple (probably a deeper purple) and green (love the sage color) too but the purple part depends on the flowers that I pick. My bm dresses are black and I was considering adding a sash in the purple or pink (if flowers end up being pink) color. I have no idea how the green will tie in, maybe sage ribbon around the bouquets or sage sashes for the bm dresses..not sure quite yet.
I think the fans and pocket squares will look great!
I am glad we''re both doing diy flowers too (or at least trying to figure out what we''re doing). Makes it a little more fun and makes me feel that maybe I''m not totally crazy for thinking I can do this myself (w/bm help of course!).

I like the alstromeria''s and they last a long time! I think white ones w/some purple ones together would be very pretty and inexpensive and easy to do!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results