shape
carat
color
clarity

Husband''s B-Day in London ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love my husband, and my husband loves surprises. He doesn''t like stuff so much: he tends to prefer experiences. This is awesome when we''re home, tougher when we''re traveling. Any of you guys know of any awesome treats in London? Restaurants? Day trips? Help?

I LOVE YOU IN ADVANCE.
30.gif

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don't visit London often, so I don't have up to date restaurant recommendations, but there is a museum or gallery to suit every taste. What sort of thing would he enjoy? For the ultimate blend of luxury and tradition, how about
http://www.theritzlondon.com/tea/

How long until his birthday? Reservations are recommended, but you can check on the day if there is a table free (I did that and got a table for two no problem). It was a lot of fun!

Jen

ETA take a look at the lunch and dinner menus too - they might actually be better value for money.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I often eat at this lovely little restaurant called ''Fiori''. It''s right on Leicester Square and there''s box offices all around where you can get discounted tickets for various shows.

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
i would......

stay here:

http://www.thezetter.com/

eat here:

http://www.fifteen.net/restaurants/fifteenlondon/Pages/Fifteenlondon.aspx

visit here:

http://www.hrp.org.uk/KensingtonPalace/stories/palacehighlights/EnchantedPalace.aspx

let me know if you go for any of the above!

1.gif

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
LOVE London. Very jealous.
9.gif
I studied art over there a couple of times for a total of about a year.

Gah.. where do I even start?

If you're into open-air markets with a really interesting vintage appeal (think: haight-ashbury), definitely check out Camden Town. It was definitely one of my favorite places to hang out, especially when they have the market open.

Also, if you're looking for a more laid-back dinner/pub experience, check out the Shakespeare's Head on Holborn. My friends and I went here every Wednesday night after 5. They had 5pound dinners that consisted of amazing curry, fish and chips, pasta, you name it. Delicious food and a really spacious, exciting atmosphere.

Be sure to have a picnic in Regents Park and check out all of the amazing gardens in London. The London Eye will provide you with amazing scenery. The Saatchi Gallery always has amazing exhibits (the art is endless in London, but the Saatchi Gallery stole my heart because I tend to be a fan of modern, progressive art, which is what Saatchi usually features).

The nightlife is also incredible.

Check out the Globe Theatre if you get the chance.

Whatever you do, do NOT miss Les Miserables (best. play. ever.).. and possibly even Phantom of the Opera.

Day trips- I definitely recommend Brighton, beautiful little city on the shore.. there's a pier and lots of fun little shopping. We got henna tattoos. :)
Also, check out Windsor and Hampton Court Palace.

Check out the changing of the guards!

I'm not sure what kind of things you guys are looking to do, but there is something for everyone. London is really one of the greatest cities in the world. Hope you guys have the best time!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''ll second Les Miserables if you can swing it. I loved it.

The White Lion Pub has a neat upstairs area and their shepherd''s pie is to die for.

You could go out to Windsor, and tour the castle there and eat at one of the neat little cafe''s.

Coooper

Rough_Rock
Trade
I always recommend London Walks (walks.com) - they run 2 or 3 guided walks every day, and there''s no need to book, you just turn up and pay the guide on the day.

My favourite way of getting around London is on one of the two riverboat services - of the two I prefer City Cruises (which have a guided live commentary) rather than Thames Clippers (faster boats but no commentary). They share the same piers which are listed on their websites and again there''s no need to book.

As for places to eat - I''m going to share a secret with you! Somewhere that''s in the heart of touristland but more often frequented by Londoners (maybe because it''s so hard to find!) is the Cork and Bottle in Leicester Square. It has two entrances that lead you underground into old cellars. My favourite place for a leisurely informal lunch.

Have fun planning your trip!

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I forgot to mention that Wimbledon is just a short ride away. Also, if you''re a soccer fan, Arsenal and Chelsea are right in Central London. My friends and I are Manchester United fans so we did an overnight trip to Manchester.
9.gif
Gotta throw sports in there somewhere for the guys.
10.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Southbank Centre, and walking through Little Venice. I can''t think of the awesome Chinese place I went to a few weeks back.

Our most recent romantic time in London included a champagne picnic in Hyde Park for lunch (food from M&S), row boat on lake there, headed down to Chinatown for some inexpensive and good food, and then a walk along the river.

Time Out London (both online and the weekly edition, out on Thursday), have some excellent ideas for all budgets and tastes. The Proms are starting soon. Wimbledon starts Monday for two weeks...but most of the things we do are outside and walking. What do you like to do?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2010 7:13:28 AM
Author: Jennifer W
I don''t visit London often, so I don''t have up to date restaurant recommendations, but there is a museum or gallery to suit every taste. What sort of thing would he enjoy? For the ultimate blend of luxury and tradition, how about

http://www.theritzlondon.com/tea/

How long until his birthday? Reservations are recommended, but you can check on the day if there is a table free (I did that and got a table for two no problem). It was a lot of fun!

Jen

ETA take a look at the lunch and dinner menus too - they might actually be better value for money.

Jen - that all looks wondeful! I hadn''t thought of the Ritz ... I will definitely call them and see if it''s not too late! My husband''s birthday is in a week (hopefully I haven''t left this until too late - our travel plans have been oscillating wildly, which has made thinking ahead fun). Personality-wise, my husband is very active, loves to try new things, and has, truth be told, kind of a short attention span. Museums are a bust for us as a couple: I love art, and he loves military history and technology. So I''ll have to comb the list to find one of those ... maybe the Kensington Palace exhibition will work!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2010 10:42:13 AM
Author: mayerling
I often eat at this lovely little restaurant called ''Fiori''. It''s right on Leicester Square and there''s box offices all around where you can get discounted tickets for various shows.

Oh, this sounds lovely! He does love shows, much more than I do - we''ve actually been planning to see "Wicked" the entire time we''ve lived in NY, and we never have. Perhaps London will do the trick ....
41.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2010 2:08:41 PM
Author: luckynumber
i would......

stay here:

http://www.thezetter.com/

eat here:

http://www.fifteen.net/restaurants/fifteenlondon/Pages/Fifteenlondon.aspx

visit here:

http://www.hrp.org.uk/KensingtonPalace/stories/palacehighlights/EnchantedPalace.aspx

let me know if you go for any of the above!

1.gif

That hotel looks v. cool! We''re already booked at another place down in Piccadilly which looks v. cool, but the Kensington Palace exhibition is winning my heart - that looks awesome! Thank you for the suggestion. One way or another, we will definitely have to do that ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2010 5:04:49 PM
Author: dragonfly411
I''ll second Les Miserables if you can swing it. I loved it.

The White Lion Pub has a neat upstairs area and their shepherd''s pie is to die for.

You could go out to Windsor, and tour the castle there and eat at one of the neat little cafe''s.

Awesome, thanks! We haven''t been to any of the palaces yet, so that''s a must, definitely ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2010 4:41:32 PM
Author: ArtistJess
LOVE London. Very jealous.
9.gif
I studied art over there a couple of times for a total of about a year.

Gah.. where do I even start?

If you''re into open-air markets with a really interesting vintage appeal (think: haight-ashbury), definitely check out Camden Town. It was definitely one of my favorite places to hang out, especially when they have the market open.

Also, if you''re looking for a more laid-back dinner/pub experience, check out the Shakespeare''s Head on Holborn. My friends and I went here every Wednesday night after 5. They had 5pound dinners that consisted of amazing curry, fish and chips, pasta, you name it. Delicious food and a really spacious, exciting atmosphere.

Be sure to have a picnic in Regents Park and check out all of the amazing gardens in London. The London Eye will provide you with amazing scenery. The Saatchi Gallery always has amazing exhibits (the art is endless in London, but the Saatchi Gallery stole my heart because I tend to be a fan of modern, progressive art, which is what Saatchi usually features).

The nightlife is also incredible.

Check out the Globe Theatre if you get the chance.

Whatever you do, do NOT miss Les Miserables (best. play. ever.).. and possibly even Phantom of the Opera.

Day trips- I definitely recommend Brighton, beautiful little city on the shore.. there''s a pier and lots of fun little shopping. We got henna tattoos. :)

Also, check out Windsor and Hampton Court Palace.

Check out the changing of the guards!

I''m not sure what kind of things you guys are looking to do, but there is something for everyone. London is really one of the greatest cities in the world. Hope you guys have the best time!

Jess, I love you - these suggestions are all awesome! I ADORE vintage shopping, so Camden Town just short straight to the top of my *personal* list. Everything else, I''ll grudgingly share with the husband!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2010 5:18:16 PM
Author: Coooper
I always recommend London Walks (walks.com) - they run 2 or 3 guided walks every day, and there''s no need to book, you just turn up and pay the guide on the day.

My favourite way of getting around London is on one of the two riverboat services - of the two I prefer City Cruises (which have a guided live commentary) rather than Thames Clippers (faster boats but no commentary). They share the same piers which are listed on their websites and again there''s no need to book.

As for places to eat - I''m going to share a secret with you! Somewhere that''s in the heart of touristland but more often frequented by Londoners (maybe because it''s so hard to find!) is the Cork and Bottle in Leicester Square. It has two entrances that lead you underground into old cellars. My favourite place for a leisurely informal lunch.

Have fun planning your trip!

There are riverboats? I had no idea! That''s definitely another "must" ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2010 9:55:40 PM
Author: Addy
I love the Southbank Centre, and walking through Little Venice. I can''t think of the awesome Chinese place I went to a few weeks back.

Our most recent romantic time in London included a champagne picnic in Hyde Park for lunch (food from M&S), row boat on lake there, headed down to Chinatown for some inexpensive and good food, and then a walk along the river.

Time Out London (both online and the weekly edition, out on Thursday), have some excellent ideas for all budgets and tastes. The Proms are starting soon. Wimbledon starts Monday for two weeks...but most of the things we do are outside and walking. What do you like to do?

This is such a sweet suggestion. Every weekend we''ve been here, the weather has been ... variable, to say the least, but I''ll cross my fingers and hope that next weekend will be beautiful. Usually at this time of year we spend every minute we can picnicking: I''d love to do that in London! And while I haven''t been to (or, I''m ashamed to admit, even heard of) Little Venice, the name intrigues me mightily ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay! I have been responsible and spent the morning researching and booking things. SO:

Dinner at the Ritz on his b-day proper

Drinks w/friends the next night

Wicked on Saturday afternoon after (gods willing) a nice day of wandering in the park

And a couples massage on Sunday to be followed by the Kensington Palace thing.

Whew! Some of this is stuff we''d been planning for ages (the couples massage was supposed to be his V-Day gift, but he never told me which kind of a massage he wanted, so I''m making the executive decision that it''s Swedish for the Swede), but hopefully on the whole it will leave him pleased. :)

Thanks for all your help, guys - and if anybody comes in late with an awesome suggestion, post anyway! I''m loving all the old London threads I come across - PS is such a helpful repository.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/22/2010 9:30:38 AM
Author: Circe
Okay! I have been responsible and spent the morning researching and booking things. SO:

Dinner at the Ritz on his b-day proper

Drinks w/friends the next night

Wicked on Saturday afternoon after (gods willing) a nice day of wandering in the park

And a couples massage on Sunday to be followed by the Kensington Palace thing.

Whew! Some of this is stuff we''d been planning for ages (the couples massage was supposed to be his V-Day gift, but he never told me which kind of a massage he wanted, so I''m making the executive decision that it''s Swedish for the Swede), but hopefully on the whole it will leave him pleased. :)

Thanks for all your help, guys - and if anybody comes in late with an awesome suggestion, post anyway! I''m loving all the old London threads I come across - PS is such a helpful repository.
Nice plan! I hope it''s wonderful and that you both enjoy every minute.

If he likes military history and you could bear it, there''s always the Imperial War Museum.
http://www.iwm.org.uk/

I fully expected to hate this, but found it fascinating. There''s enough variety in the exhibitions to hold my attention.

Jen

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone know the name of the funky musuem that is bascially a guy''s house? I will have to ask the husband, but it was such a fun and quirkly place to visit. I want to say it''s near Soho, maybe near Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street? I feel like we walked there from Bloomsbury area.

The British Museum is always cool.

I wanted to take the riverboat up to a little town-Greenwich maybe? Ok so I''m so not helpful.

Also we did a Jack the Ripper tour at night- a bit touristy but still fun.

Coooper

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/22/2010 6:25:06 PM
Author: ChinaCat
Anyone know the name of the funky musuem that is bascially a guy''s house? I will have to ask the husband, but it was such a fun and quirkly place to visit. I want to say it''s near Soho, maybe near Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street? I feel like we walked there from Bloomsbury area.
Do you mean the Wallace Collection. ChinaCat? That''s a great suggestion for Circe - it''s full of art and armour!

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 6:25:06 PM
Author: ChinaCat

Also we did a Jack the Ripper tour at night- a bit touristy but still fun.

+1!

VERY touristy, but super fun too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results