shape
carat
color
clarity

Hurricane Irene

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
I hope everyone is ok down there too. It's suppose to hit us this Saturday. I've been through lots and lots of hurricanes, and not really looking forward to another one.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Should be hitting us Sunday afternoon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ugh, I hope everyone affected so far is OK.

I am totally dreading it. I experienced our first thunderstorm last week at our new beach house and it wasn't fun- though my dh enjoyed the show quite a bit. I was living in fear the whole evening as the lightning kept dancing around us and power kept going on and off. Being on the water does leave us totally vulnerable to all the elements. :errrr: A fact I did not consider as I was falling in love with the house!

So fingers crossed for everyone to remain safe and sound as the hurricane hits and dust dust dust that no one experiences any harm!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have found that only the 3 day cone is anywhere near accurate.

If you are worried about day 4 or 5, it can change a LOT between now and then.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

Read the "discussion" (click on it) very carefully, this is where all the news reports are coming from and they are written very thoroughly by the NHC guys.

sweet_pea said:
I hope everyone is ok down there too. It's suppose to hit us this Saturday. I've been through lots and lots of hurricanes, and not really looking forward to another one.

High five, sister, me too! I hate those things! I hate putting shutters up and down, hate losing power, hate evacuating, hate worrying about it, hate it all. Looks like I'm sitting this one out, I wish you the best of luck, sending dust your way!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
missy|1314232798|2998683 said:
ugh, I hope everyone affected so far is OK.

I am totally dreading it. I experienced our first thunderstorm last week at our new beach house and it wasn't fun- though my dh enjoyed the show quite a bit. I was living in fear the whole evening as the lightning kept dancing around us and power kept going on and off. Being on the water does leave us totally vulnerable to all the elements. :errrr: A fact I did not consider as I was falling in love with the house!

So fingers crossed for everyone to remain safe and sound as the hurricane hits and dust dust dust that no one experiences any harm!

My house has a LOT of windows, and it's great when it's sunny, but it's really kind of awful when it storms. I feel ya, Missy!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Be safe everyone!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
We had been intending to vacation for a week in the Outer Banks, and though I'm up late now procrastinating, we're supposed to be out of town by 8 am tomorrow morning, Thursday...this...despite the bad weather not due until Saturday. Originally, our home was rented until Sunday.

I'm sure those who are in forecasting and civic planning have no fun making these decisions; I don' envy them one bit.

Now, to see if our travel insurance will have worked. But, first, need to get home.

Ira Z.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Ugh...all of this weather stuff that has been going on lately is just really starting to freak me out.

I suppose I'll find some good books to read over the weekend and I don't see much going on...

I hope everyone stays safe and I hope that the strength of this hurricane decreases....weather is nuts.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness Ira, so sorry your vacation plans have been impacted. Hope it all works out!

ilander, I am freaking out right now! Our home is pretty much all windows on the water side and even though my dh assures me they are strong windows they are NOT hurricane proof windows! :errrr:

(And yesterday afternoon I received a letter from our insurance company that we are *under*insured at our beach house! Really? It took them 5 months to come to that conclusion?! And now a hurricane is rapidly approaching and all companies have put a moratorium on any changes to the insurance policies! :nono: )

OK sending lots of dust to everyone affected by this- stay safe!!!!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
missy said:
Oh my goodness Ira, so sorry your vacation plans have been impacted. Hope it all works out!

ilander, I am freaking out right now! Our home is pretty much all windows on the water side and even though my dh assures me they are strong windows they are NOT hurricane proof windows! :errrr:

(And yesterday afternoon I received a letter from our insurance company that we are *under*insured at our beach house! Really? It took them 5 months to come to that conclusion?! And now a hurricane is rapidly approaching and all companies have put a moratorium on any changes to the insurance policies! :nono: )

Well, don't worry too much right now, just prepare. Look around at the yard, how are your trees, stuff that will blow over, etc? If you live in a coastal area, they should have some kind of shutters on the house, or you can use plywood if you like. Worst case, you can put up masking tape to keep the window from blowing in. The tape minimizes cracking if something hits the window, but if you clear the yard, that probably won't happen. Now check the ground around your house; are you on stilts? Is there anything that will be damaged by two feet of water?

Are you ready if the power goes out? Watch out for the stuff in your freezer! Our power was out for 9 days, and the meat defrosted and oozed all over the kitchen floor. The smell was unbelievable, most people threw away their fridges and bought new ones. So, eat your food. Here's an old thread that I started about our hurricane adventures, you may get some hints from that:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/speaking-of-disasters-our-hurricane-adventure.158087/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/speaking-of-disasters-our-hurricane-adventure.158087/[/URL]

As for insurance, don't get me started! We had about $20K in damage, and insurance paid $0. Most of it was falling tree damage (not covered), and it was below our deductible (which was a percentage of the value of our house). After reading the fine print, we realized our deductible was about $25K. Lovely. A complete waste of time and money. We had federal flood insurance, though, and they paid $1200. Whoo. :rolleyes:

Chances are that it won't even hit you, though. These things wobble like a spinning top, which is what they are, and anything beyond the 3 day cone is a big if. I personally think it will slow down and peter out. I think you'll be fine. ;))

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'm watching the satellite and I think they are a bit wrong on the projected path. The outer bands are moving north, but the eye is still going north west... towards me. :sick: I'm preparing for the worst in case she acts against the weather man's oh so accurate knowledge ::heavy sarcasm::. We've dug trenches around the barn to re route water. We are also buying water and batteries and candles for safety sake. I've gotten quite a bit of our pears at least moved to the house, and we'll be working on getting those pureed and frozen and/or made to cobblers tonight. I don't trust the weather forecasters at all. Weather is unpredictable.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor Ira, I am so sorry your vacation is being shortened! We co-own an oceanfront condo at a beach near Charleston, and we are relieved that this one seems to be passing us by. Hurricane Hugo caused amazing destruction as it hit Charleston and went inland wreaking havoc several hours inland. We were without power for over a week and we are 4 hours from Charleston! We are concerned for the Outer Banks as that area is extremely vulnerable.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
I'm watching the satellite and I think they are a bit wrong on the projected path. The outer bands are moving north, but the eye is still going north west... towards me. :sick: I'm preparing for the worst in case she acts against the weather man's oh so accurate knowledge ::heavy sarcasm::. We've dug trenches around the barn to re route water. We are also buying water and batteries and candles for safety sake. I've gotten quite a bit of our pears at least moved to the house, and we'll be working on getting those pureed and frozen and/or made to cobblers tonight. I don't trust the weather forecasters at all. Weather is unpredictable.

What you don't see on the screen are the pressure ridges and steering currents. These are in the computer models that they are running, and I have found the 3 day cones, in the last 2 years, to be very accurate. If you are not within the 3 day cone, I think you're fine. :bigsmile:

I check the National Hurricane Center almost every day from May through Nov, so I have a LOT of experience watching these puppies. It's become very accurate over the last 2 years.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't live in an area that typically has to worry about hurricanes but it's all over the local news here. My state has a relatively small coastline but the reporters are interviewing those who live there to see how they're preparing for Irene. We've been affected by a couple of hurricanes over the years, but nowhere near as badly as other parts of the country. I find them fascinating to learn about but I hate the destruction they cause.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Ok so now I'm really starting to worry as North Jersey and Philly are in the "extreme" zones. They are evacuating the Jersey shore and apparently they are thinking of evacuating Hoboken.

My best friend is supposed to be driving to West Virginia for a wedding on Friday and I'm really thinking thats not a good idea right now...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
iLander, really interesting info on the forecast cones. That stuff fascinates me. We are in N. Carolina but too far west to be affected. Hope everyone comes through okay & houses ditto. Keep your pets safe too. Thinking of y'all. Let us know as soon as you can that you're fine.

--- Laurie

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm on the east cost of FL about half way down. We're getting some nice winds today but nothing too extreme. I'm
not worried at all and just glad that hubby doesnt have to put up the hurricane shutters. I hope the states further
north dont get it too bad.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1314285666|2999220 said:
dragonfly411 said:

What you don't see on the screen are the pressure ridges and steering currents. These are in the computer models that they are running, and I have found the 3 day cones, in the last 2 years, to be very accurate. If you are not within the 3 day cone, I think you're fine. :bigsmile:

I check the National Hurricane Center almost every day from May through Nov, so I have a LOT of experience watching these puppies. It's become very accurate over the last 2 years.

I just think back to hurricanes that have gone completely opposite of where they predicted, and think, not uh, not risking it.

I do think that evacuating Jersey is really assuming a lot. I'd think it would die down quite a bit by then.

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
I am hoping Boston-area doesn't get it too bad. My parents are flying into Boston tonight for the weekend from Chicago, so if it hits they are flying here for a hurricane. They don't want to cancel bc of the money they will be losing.

On the other side of things, I have never experienced or had any knowledge of hurricanes before and it is becoming very fascinating to me!

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I am surprised they are making such a big deal with Jersey. They already called a State of Emergency. I feel that the storm usually dissipates by the time it gets inland, but who knows.

I use to always say I loved living in the tri-state area because we never get natural disasters (no tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc). Our biggest issue is usually just a snow storm once in awhile. And now in the same week we had an earthquake and are getting a hurricane?? lol its unreal. Not sure how to take it seriously.

I hope everyone that may be affected by this is ok, and be safe!

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
I have a feeling this is going to be bad. I don't expect as much here in South Central PA, but I guess you never know! I'm expecting heavy rain and some wind. I did make sure I got some bottled water, flashlights, and stocked up on some snacks just in case!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband works at a hospital and he just sent me an e-mail telling me that he may have to go go into work on Sunday and stay right through Monday. He'd have to be there on Mon. for his regular work day anyway but he's never had to report early for any type of disaster. I wasn't planning on doing anything to prepare for the hurricane because I didn't think we'd be impacted much. Now I'm not so sure and it's making me nervous, especially if I'll be here by myself with our cats.

If you've gone through a hurricane, what did you do to prepare?

New Englanders -- are you nervous too or am I overreacting?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live on Long Island and my Husband and I are scared sh*tless! We rent an apartment and aren't allowed to do anything about our windows but we are doing what we can:

Taping up the windows on the inside so broken glass can be minimized one the inside
Full tanks of gas in each car
8 gallons of water

non-perishable foods:
beef jerky
assorted nuts
cereal
crackers
some fruit
nutrigrain bars
cliff bars
tea powder
tuna
soups
spaghetti O's
ramen

first aid kit
advil
vitamins
tylenol

personal documents
flashlight (led)
batteries
radio
backup hard drive for pc
laptop
jewelry
tp
pillows
blanket
change of clothes...

I can think of more. All I have in my head are images of Katrina and everything that those people lost. I have everything ready and if it comes down to it the cars are getting packed up with whatever we can fit in there are we are heading for the safest place we can. My husband works in the area and they are making him work on Sunday from 9-3. The hurricane isn't supposed to hit until Sunday night but if it comes down he's leaving and we are heading for shelter.

At this point all we can do is watch, wait and be ready.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1314307257|2999602 said:
I live on Long Island and my Husband and I are scared sh*tless! We rent an apartment and aren't allowed to do anything about our windows but we are doing what we can:

Taping up the windows on the inside so broken glass can be minimized one the inside
Full tanks of gas in each car
8 gallons of water

non-perishable foods:
beef jerky
assorted nuts
cereal
crackers
some fruit
nutrigrain bars
cliff bars
tea powder
tuna
soups
spaghetti O's
ramen

first aid kit
advil
vitamins
tylenol

personal documents
flashlight (led)
batteries
radio
backup hard drive for pc
laptop
jewelry
tp
pillows
blanket
change of clothes...

I can think of more. All I have in my head are images of Katrina and everything that those people lost. I have everything ready and if it comes down to it the cars are getting packed up with whatever we can fit in there are we are heading for the safest place we can. My husband works in the area and they are making him work on Sunday from 9-3. The hurricane isn't supposed to hit until Sunday night but if it comes down he's leaving and we are heading for shelter.

At this point all we can do is watch, wait and be ready.

I would also fill the bathtub with water on Sunday to use to flush the toilet in the event you lose your water. But hopefully it will be weaker by the time it gets up there. Take care, though!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like Philly and the shore will be hit hard. I am scared. :errrr: I have to stock up on more things tomorrow. Thanks for the list. They say it's the biggest storm to hit the East coast in 20 years...

I also worry about NYC and those on Long Island.

First the Earthquake and now this??

Prayers outgoing to all.... Stay safe... :wavey:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oh, lord have mercy . . .

This is from the discussion on NHS:

THERE IS STILL SOME TIME FOR IRENE TO STRENGTHEN AS IT WILL BE
MOVING OVER WARM WATER AND THE SHEAR REMAINS LOW. HOWEVER...THE
UPDATED FORECAST CALLS FOR A LITTLE LOWER INTENSITY OVER
THE FIRST 24-36 HOURS. IN ABOUT 48 HOURS...SOUTHWESTERLY SHEAR IS
FORECAST TO INCREASE
...WHICH SHOULD START A WEAKENING PROCESS.
HOWEVER...SINCE IRENE HAS SUCH A LARGE AND INTENSE CIRCULATION...
IT WILL PROBABLY BE SLOW TO WEAKEN.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 25/2100Z 27.0N 77.3W 100 KT 115 MPH
12H 26/0600Z 28.7N 77.8W 100 KT 115 MPH
24H 26/1800Z 30.6N 77.8W 105 KT 120 MPH
36H 27/0600Z 32.5N 77.4W 100 KT 115 MPH
48H 27/1800Z 34.5N 76.9W 95 KT 110 MPH
72H 28/1800Z 39.8N 74.6W 75 KT 85 MPH...INLAND
96H 29/1800Z 48.5N 68.0W 50 KT 60 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
120H 30/1800Z 56.0N 54.0W 45 KT 50 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP

If you are in the 48 hour zone, in the Carolinas, this is the same nonsense you've seen often. Stay safe, I'm rooting for you, you know the drill.

If you're way north of that, I think you need to remove any dead tree limbs right now. Good luck buying a chainsaw (may I recommend gas-powered?) Otherwise, unless you can see the Atlantic Ocean from your window, you're probably fine. . . knock on wood. :D

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the list, Asscher!

I hope the damage is minimal. By the time it's supposed to reach us, it will be a category 1, so certainly not as damaging as a category 2, 3, or 4. The latest report is that the western part of my state is in the direct path. They've dealt with severe floods before so I'm sure that area is preparing as best they can.

My husband's boss said that as of now, his whole dept. will need to go in on Sunday.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1314274298|2999082 said:
missy said:

Well, don't worry too much right now, just prepare. Look around at the yard, how are your trees, stuff that will blow over, etc? If you live in a coastal area, they should have some kind of shutters on the house, or you can use plywood if you like. Worst case, you can put up masking tape to keep the window from blowing in. The tape minimizes cracking if something hits the window, but if you clear the yard, that probably won't happen. Now check the ground around your house; are you on stilts? Is there anything that will be damaged by two feet of water?

Are you ready if the power goes out? Watch out for the stuff in your freezer! Our power was out for 9 days, and the meat defrosted and oozed all over the kitchen floor. The smell was unbelievable, most people threw away their fridges and bought new ones. So, eat your food. Here's an old thread that I started about our hurricane adventures, you may get some hints from that:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/speaking-of-disasters-our-hurricane-adventure.158087/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/speaking-of-disasters-our-hurricane-adventure.158087/[/URL]

As for insurance, don't get me started! We had about $20K in damage, and insurance paid $0. Most of it was falling tree damage (not covered), and it was below our deductible (which was a percentage of the value of our house). After reading the fine print, we realized our deductible was about $25K. Lovely. A complete waste of time and money. We had federal flood insurance, though, and they paid $1200. Whoo. :rolleyes:

Chances are that it won't even hit you, though. These things wobble like a spinning top, which is what they are, and anything beyond the 3 day cone is a big if. I personally think it will slow down and peter out. I think you'll be fine. ;))

Hi ilander,
Thanks for your suggestions. Right now I am trying to keep it together. I called my neighbor at the beach and he hired a few guys and they moved our outdoor furniture for us. My dh is swamped at work so we cannot get to our beach house till tomorrow and I know traffic will be just awful since it looks like there will be a mandatory evacuation declared soon. Our house is right on the water and I am so terribly stressed but there is not much I can do. We are going tomorrow and raising equipment in the basement as high as we can and leaving. We cannot even really take the food in the fridges and freezers (we have 2 of them filled with tons of food) because I have no place to put them. Our NYC place might be hit too and the power might be lost there as well so :(

There is no chance it is not hitting us and in fact looks like it will be a category 2 now when it does hit us. I am worried. Really worried. The best I can hope for is that everyone stays safe and I will keep remembering it is just stuff. Even though it could be devastating.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results