shape
carat
color
clarity

Huge storm and my dog is freaking out

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are having a terrible thunderstorm and my dog is shaking and panting like never before. I have never seen him like this and am trying to calm him down, but it''s not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two GSDs (a lot larger than your bichons) used to shake and jump on the bed during thunderstorms too. I think they were afraid of the noise. So I would lay there and snuggle with them, and that seemed to calm them down a bit. (Sadly, I lost them both in a 3 week period in 1994.)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I am so sorry, that must have been devastating. Here's the thing, Casper who is ten has never acted like this before. His tongue is hanging out of his mouth and he is panting like crazy. He did drink some water , but he is shaking so badly. We are taking turns holding him and his sister Callie is totally oblivious to this storm, go figure!!! Any advice on how to calm him down would be greatly appreciated.
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you should call the vet. I wonder if there is something that might work as an emergency tranquilizer...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2005 8:51:29 PM
Author: kaleigh
Here's the thing, Casper who is ten has never acted like this before. His tongue is hanging out of his mouth and he is panting like crazy. He did drink some water , but he is shaking so badly. We are taking turns holding him and his sister Callie is totally oblivious to this storm, go figure!!! Any advice on how to calm him down would be greatly appreciated.
1.gif

My dogs before my current one used to "hide" from thunder. The spaniel got behind the toilet. The Golden stuck her head under the bed, supposing (I guess) that if she couldn't see anything, nothing could get her. Maybe you can take your big guy into a small, dark space (a closet?). Someplace like a "den" and hold him there?

Deb

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Some dogs like people are just terrified of storms. I live in No VA and we just had a big storm an hour and a half ago and lost part of a dead tree in our yard from the wind. I hate severe thunderstorms so I can understand your dog freaking out. There''s not much you can do as you can''t reason with him. Ask your vet, but he''ll probably tell you you''re doing all you really can. Where do you live? If your storm was like ours, it was noisy and the rain was extremely heavy. Our dog when I was growing up used to shake with storms and going to the vet. We''d just pet him and talk to him.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
You could try "Rescue Remedy" which is an herbal supplement carried in most Heath/Whole food stores...but that might not help you "right" this minute! But, maybe for next time...and most animals love it because it takes good!

You could go in the bathroom with him and put the fan on so he can''t hear anything or see outside!?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2005 8:56:36 PM
Author: AGBF
Maybe you can take your big guy into a small, dark space (a closet?). Someplace like a ''den'' and hold him there?
That sounds like a good idea!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2005 8:56:56 PM
Author: Momoftwo
Some dogs like people are just terrified of storms. I live in No VA and we just had a big storm an hour and a half ago and lost part of a dead tree in our yard from the wind. I hate severe thunderstorms so I can understand your dog freaking out. There''s not much you can do as you can''t reason with him. Ask your vet, but he''ll probably tell you you''re doing all you really can. Where do you live? If your storm was like ours, it was noisy and the rain was extremely heavy. Our dog when I was growing up used to shake with storms and going to the vet. We''d just pet him and talk to him.

We had the same storm. Thank God my current dog is different from all my others. I don''t know *why* he is. I thought it might be because he is a gun dog, but I don''t know. He not only doesn''t *mind* thunder, he goes outside to enjoy the fireworks on the 4th of July! He just lies on the deck and listens to the crashing looking completely serene and contented.

Deborah

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!!!
He is still shaking but a little bit better. He has never acted like this before, so I was very scared. It seemed like his heart was going a mile a minute and his tongue was hanging way too far out of his mouth. We are in Bryn Mawr, PA just outside of Philly and this storm is still going strong. I know how many animal lovers we have on PS and thought I would get great advice which I did.
12.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2005 9:09:05 PM
Thanks everyone!!!

He is still shaking but a little bit better. He has never acted like this before, so I was very scared. It seemed like his heart was going a mile a minute and his tongue was hanging way too far out of his mouth. We are in Bryn Mawr, PA just outside of Philly and this storm is still going strong. I know how many animal lovers we have on PS and thought I would get great advice which I did.
12.gif

Let us know what you did and how he responded once it is over and you have time to think about things besides comforting him. In the meantime, hold him!!

Deb

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like your dog might have a fear of loud noises. Here''s a website that may be able to help you. Every new years, there are hundreds of stories about how dogs go crazy over the loud fireworks - so much so that small dogs have been known to jump over high backyard fences in a frenzy. Hope the info on the link can help.

http://www.geocities.com/~riskebiz/loud_noises.html

Dogs aren''t the only things scared of loud noises. I have a huge fear of sudden loud noises and scream my head at sudden loud bangs! I am absolutely frightened of balloons for fear that they could pop any second - so you can guess what a terrible mess I''m in when I attend kids parties!
32.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The thing that worked the best was just talking to him. Casper has a large vocabulary and sometimes when we don''t want him to know what we are saying we just have to spell things out. Like vacation, etc... He knows the word bye bye, so as I held him I quitely told him the storm was going bye bye. I just held him for a long time and quited him down. I turned off the light and turned up the volume on the TV to drown out the thunder and he is now sleeping peacefully. He has always hated the rain, but has never acted like this before. I will call my vet tomorrow and see what I can do in the future. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input as always.
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
glad to hear that casper is calmed down now. you better go have a cup of tea after all of that!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2005 9:57:02 PM
Author: belle
glad to hear that casper is calmed down now. you better go have a cup of tea after all of that!

...or if you''re a drinking woman.... ;-)

Deb

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe......
10.gif
11.gif

embeer.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tea will be fine!!! Thanks, he is still asleep. I think he is just getting old. Callie was looking at him like WTF, why are you so wigged out?? Oh to be young.
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have heard rave reviews for Rescue Remedy as well for dogs that dislike storms...

Also I don't know where I may have heard this but what about Lavender...it's calming...wonder if it would work on a dog?

Ooh did a quickie Google and found this...very interesting:
http://www.aromaleigh.com/usartocalyou.html

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2005 9:09:05 PM
Thanks everyone!!!
12.gif
Sorry, I know this is off topic, but do you live in Bryn Mawr or are you just visiting? I love the area!! And if you live there, then you are so close to KoP mall! And the Ardmore shops are fabulous (but pricey
6.gif
).

Glad to hear your lil'' fella is doing better.
36.gif
I think we are having the same storm down here. Loud thunder and tons of lightening with it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,
Thanks, that looks promissing!!! Fun for casper and I. I think tonight was a big case of jitters. We were all calm, but he freaked out. Maybe it''s old age, who knows. I will call my vet tomorrow. I don''t want to have him go through this again, poor thing.
12.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beuna Girl,
Yes we live here and the shops at Ardmore are fab, but pricey. My hubby just relocated his business to the new office building that is across from Rubies. That is very bad for me as I now have a private parking space. Kof P mall is just 10 mins away. That is such a great place, they say next to the mall of America, Kof P is second biggest. If you are ever my way give me a shout and I'll take you shopping!!!
3.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Oh no.
32.gif

Freddy could care less...but Elmo is a nightmare with the thunder....and the 4th of July? FORGET IT.
40.gif
We're wedged in among three town parks and it's a living hell. Don't invite us anywhere for the 4th....
20.gif
8.gif

He pants and shakes and chokes and tries to hide behiond the downstairs toilet (toilets are grounded, and dogs somehow know this)....We tried everyting and eventually gave in and got him "Thunderstorm" pills form the vet... The Vet explained it like this: Would you let a human suffer with an extreme anxiety attack and not give him medicine if it would help? NO.... the kicker is that you really should give him the pill 1 hr-30 min. before the storms start. As soon as my husband and I hear the weather calls for storms, we sit and try to interpet the radar on weather.com and on TV to time the storms (yeah, this is REALLY accurate
40.gif
) ...and if we'ree not home when they start, we're out of luck.
emcry.gif

It's horrible--he's medicated right now and wobbles along, has to be carried around. I can't stand it but it's every storm...every jerky neighborhood kid with cheap firecrackers (once I yelled out the front door, "I'm calling the $#%@! police if you don't stop..." and another time, "I hope you blow your %$#@! face off.) Seeing him suffer so makes me that angry and irrational...

Maybe it's a freak episode(I hope so)....if it continues, you may want to look into meds. Also, turning the TV up really loud and having all the windows closed and the CA on helps....
1.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
The two Labs
emdog.gif
emdog.gif
I used to have were normally okay with storms but one time when a really big lightning storm came through they both crawled into the space below the waterbed between the two supporting sets of drawers (it was a high waterbed with drawers on either side.

It took us a while to figure out where they were!
40.gif

I guess for them it was a nice den area, dark, and it probably muffled a lot of the sound.

It took us about an hour after the storm front passed over to convince them to come out.....
26.gif

I''m glad to hear that Casper is doing better.
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jenn,
Thanks, I will talk to my vet tomorrow. I pray it was a one time event, but not counting on it and want to be prepared for the next episode!!!
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks websailor,
Now he is acting like nothing was wrong. That is a very good thing. The thing I don''t get and will ask the vet is the whole panting thing and his tongue looked like it grew five inches???? That was weird and scary.
6.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
I''d be interested in what your vet says. I think it''s just signs of a frightened/excited dog. You know, the old "fight or flight" thing. I''m sure their adrenaline was pumping, their bodies were quivering, all of which would produce heat and require more oxygen.

It never hurts to be prepared for the next time.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
My German Shepherd gets completely freaked out by fireworks or thunder. He actually seems to be getting better as he gets older. Maybe he can't hear as well. Anyway, our vet gave us tranquilizers for July 4th last year. It was very sad to see him dopey and lethargic, but it seemed a better alternative than him panting, shaking, and barracading himself in the bathtub. Anyway, it helped a lot. We haven't had to use it since, and given that we're moving to Vancouver BC before the next fourth of July, we shouldn't have to use it anytime soon (fingers crossed). Glad to hear your doggie has calmed down for the night. Hopefully, this won't happen again.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
....and it''s only going to get worse. This year is supposed to be a bad one for violent storms - at least as far as predictions go.

I would not medicate your dog unless he progresses into behaviour that is life threatening - very rare occurance. Dogs don''t have complex behaviours like people. My vet will only medicate at the wishes of the owner. Panting is a normal stress release. BTW, so is yawning. If they want to hide somewhere, let them. It is more important for you to remain calm as dogs can truly smell fear. Don''t encourage any reaction by consoling the dog. Cuddling and speaking in a calm voice can ease their stress level. Also, let them deal with it. The more times they go through this & see that their world is still safe the easier it will become. When a big thunder comes, you may even want to celebrate it. That''s what''s worked for me.

Good luck. Dog''s are quite resilient creatures; but storms are *indeed* scary.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I don't mean to discourage you, but I went through the same thing with my last Sheltie, and it may not be a one-time occurrence.

My Sheltie, Brittany, never had a problem with storms. All of the sudden, around 6-7 years old, she began to FREAK every time thunder storm would occur. I suspect that she was home alone during a particularly loud storm and it just scared the daylights out of her....and ever since that time, she was PETRIFIED.

Dogs know, too, when a storm is approaching...they feel the change in the barometric pressure.

I found that I had to close the blinds, because she came to associate the lightning with the thunder. Flashes of lightning of bolts of thunder would frighten her. She would pace, pant and whine whenever there was a storm.....and scratch the door. She actually went THROUGH a hollow basement door trying to get away from the storm.

I'm sorry to say that despite cuddling her and speaking to her in soothing tones during storm, she never "got over it". I found that having a crate covered with a blanket helped a little....couldn't see the lightning and felt sheltered. But I have to say her reaction never lessened.....for her remaining 4 years, she panicked every time. She just couldn't learn that it was OK.

I, too, asked the vet about anxiety medication, but he didn't seem very high on the idea because they usually weren't fast-acting enough to help, leaving the dog medicated when it isn't necessary.

I wish you luck on it....I know how awful it is to watch, and it's heartwrenching to see one's dog so frightened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hopefully, you can try some of the more natural remedies before medication...ideal is that it was only a one-time thing, but if not I'd always rather go natural (which I think something like a Rescue Remedy is also) than have to medicate. Last resort!

We lucked out with P not freaking out re: fireworks etc (yet?)...last 4th she was only a few months old and was curious what all the noise was. My friend's Jack ran into the house, up the stairs and hid under our bed, we could not coax him out for anything ! Greg ended up having to get under the bed and pull him out and then he hid under our legs in the family room for the next hour. Poor thing!!

Oh and re: panting...it's amazing how long their tongues grow when they are hyped up. Last time P went and did her lure chasing thing at the Westie event, afterwards she was just like a wild animal, panting insanely for 30 minutes and her tongue was massive!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results