shape
carat
color
clarity

HTML question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
This might be kind of silly, but I use Firefox as my browser and it doesn''t give the option to highlight text, change text colors, change the font size, etc. All I can do is bold, underline, italic, and strikethrough. I''ve learned the html codes for those, since they show up when I''m typing my reply, and I usually just type them instead of using the relevant buttons because the buttons sometimes do funky things...but can anyone give me the codes for highlighted text, color, and size? I tried googling it but there were a million sites and the explanations went completely over my head. Thanks!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never been able to figure out keystrokes for that kind of stuff. I too use Firefox.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I have no answers but I want them! I use Firefox too.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
This page (http://www.web-source.net/html_codes_chart.htm) has a pretty good chart of html tags/codes.

Hope it helps.
35.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
My firefox has limited buttons as well. I too have been curious about learning the workaround, but have been far too lazy to put in the effort to try and figure it out. (Octavia, I am glad you're not as disorganized as I am about this-- at least you started a thread!)

Okay, let me see if this works:

highlighted text

ETA: It worked! Okay, here's how I just did highlighting. So that I don't trigger HTML, I am going to subsititute "(" and ")" for "". To do the html code, use the "pointy parenthesis". (Yes, I'm highly technical like that!
2.gif
)

The above was created by typing:

(FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow")highlighted text (/FONT) ,

except with the pointy parentheses instead of the rounded ones.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I feel a little silly trying this out because there are obviously folks far more skilled at this than I am, but I''ll embarrass myself by trying another one of the most basic/simplistic publicly. Once again, I''ll use curved parens. in the example.

Big text attempt:
(BIG)Example of Big Text(/BIG)

Test:
[/b]

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Octavia- THANKS for starting this thread!

Yep, i''m also a firefox user, and I''m stumped on a couple of things.

fleur-de-lis, i''m lazy too!

Here''s one- how do you make a website "linky"?? when i insert an URL it doesn''t make it linkable- it''s so annoying.

Sorry for the threadjack!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 3:33:34 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Hmm, I feel a little silly trying this out because there are obviously folks far more skilled at this than I am, but I''ll embarrass myself by trying another one of the most basic/simplistic publicly. Once again, I''ll use curved parens. in the example.

Big text attempt:

(BIG)Example of Big Text(/BIG)

Test:

Keep on going!! More "tests", please![/b]

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 3:38:15 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl

Here''s one- how do you make a website ''linky''?? when i insert an URL it doesn''t make it linkable- it''s so annoying.

Hi ChargerGrrl, you asked one of the *few* Qs to which I know the answer for PS!

When you reply, there is a series of buttons right above the window into which you type your text that look a lot like the ones in MS Word: Left justify, centered, B for bold, I for Italics, etc. The last button looks like a part of a chain-link fence in front of a globe... or, how to put LINKS from the WORLD wide web! Simply copy the web address to which you wish to link, then click the button. Two sequential screens will pop up. In the first, you can either give a title to the link, like "Cute Green BCBG Dress at Nordstroms", or paste in the code. (The words you put in the first pop-up are the ones that will appear to others on PS.) After you hit submit, a second pop-up will pop up, and into that one you always paste the web address you copied earlier. (The second pop-up is for the server/computer to read.)

Hope this helps!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Firefox? Yuck.
14.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 3:46:24 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Date: 3/20/2009 3:38:15 PM

Author: ChargerGrrl

Here''s one- how do you make a website ''linky''?? when i insert an URL it doesn''t make it linkable- it''s so annoying.

Hi ChargerGrrl, you asked one of the *few* Qs to which I know the answer for PS!

When you reply, there is a series of buttons right above the window into which you type your text that look a lot like the ones in MS Word: Left justify, centered, B for bold, I for Italics, etc. The last button looks like a part of a chain-link fence in front of a globe... or, how to put LINKS from the WORLD wide web! Simply copy the web address to which you wish to link, then click the button. Two sequential screens will pop up. In the first, you can either give a title to the link, like ''Cute Green BCBG Dress at Nordstroms'', or paste in the code. (The words you put in the first pop-up are the ones that will appear to others on PS.) After you hit submit, a second pop-up will pop up, and into that one you always paste the web address you copied earlier. (The second pop-up is for the server/computer to read.)

Hope this helps!

yes it does!! Many THANKS
36.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
, f-d-l! That''s sooo helpful
1.gif
Girlie-girl, I''ll check out that link, too...it''s always interesting to learn new things and there''s so much I don''t know about computer stuff.[/b]

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 3:46:48 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Firefox? Yuck.
14.gif
33.gif

Firefox is the browser of choice for most web developers, primarily due to the large number of add-ons. I think firefox is great.

I always just google whatever I'm trying to find. You can search for "HTML _______" and insert whatever you're trying to do, ie. "HTML highlight", "HTML font color", etc.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 4:43:12 PM
Author: musey
Date: 3/20/2009 3:46:48 PM

Author: Dreamgirl

Firefox? Yuck.
14.gif

33.gif

Firefox is the browser of choice for most web developers, primarily due to the large number of add-ons. I think firefox is great.

It's takes of getting used to, but ditto!

Our IT dept has encouraged everyone in the company to switch to Firefox. Those still on IE seem to have more "computer issues".

eta- WOO HOO, the highlighting worked!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
http://lissaexplains.com/

This is the place I learnt pretty well most of what I know how to code :), easy to use and understand :).

ETA: Firefox is the best, I would never use IE
14.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 6:49:46 PM
Author: Deelight

This is the place I learnt pretty well most of what I know how to code :), easy to use and understand :).

14.gif

I remember this site - it''s been online since 2000 or earlier, because I learned HTML back then, and bits and pieces came from that website. It''s very easy to understand.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 4:43:12 PM
Author: musey
I always just google whatever I''m trying to find. You can search for ''HTML _______'' and insert whatever you''re trying to do, ie. ''HTML highlight'', ''HTML font color'', etc.

I''m slightly embarrassed to admit that I did this quite awhile ago, felt all pleased with myself for figuring it out, typed it into a post, and ended up with a response full of messy codes and no pretty highlighting or colors or whatever I was trying to do. So I deleted all the code and pretended it never happened.
26.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
That''s brill Octavia, thanks a million! Aside from this little issue, Firefox rocks!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 7:39:45 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Date: 3/20/2009 6:49:46 PM

Author: Deelight

14.gif

I remember this site - it's been online since 2000 or earlier, because I learned HTML back then, and bits and pieces came from that website. It's very easy to understand.

Yeah it has been around for yonkies, I think IRC she was 11 when she made it so it is aimed at children and therefore really easy to understand for someone like me who can't create code that well but can read and dismantle and recreate it :).

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
I would just like to chime in to add that, while I usually use Firefox, the later version of IE (7, and now 8) are much improved over their predecessors and are really trying to eliminate the types of issues that previous versions of the browser had let through.
1.gif

Also, I haven''t done web design in awhile, but if anyone''s still having trouble or issues with something in particular or needs explanations, I''m open for questions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results