shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set this?

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
I'd love to get some input on what to do with this garnet. The vision I have in my head is a three stone ring, somewhat along the lines of Kismet's tourmaline/peridot ring and the zircon/spess ring. I picture lilac or lavender side stones. I have a major thing for green and purple. Major.

Should it be set e/w, or n/s? Bezeled (oh, I love a good bezel!)? Not bezeled?

For the purpose of reference, my ring size is 6ish. The garnet is 1.43 ct, 7.15 x 5.5 mm. I would welcome your suggestions and/or ideas!

028_crop.jpg

007_crop.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice stone!

1- On bezeling: I wouldn't. Those nice, sharp corners would be a pain to bezel and I would be afraid of some damage to the stone.
2- Orientation: if you want sidestones, then N/S, so you could have plenty of room for a nicely sized pair of lilac sides.
3- Purple might overwhelm the delicate colour, but lilac sounds dreamy. A very traditional Japanese colour combination as well.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Lady Disdain on the bezeling- something simple that will show off those beautiful clean lines would be best imo.
You'd probably have to get them custom cut, but lilac tapered bullets or traps would be sooo pretty with this!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the pointy tips, prong set or even better, chevron prongs will protect it better. The bezeling process might be unkind to the pointy ends of the stone. To deepen the colour, you can opt for a more enclosed setting.

In terms of sidestones, due to the light tone, the sidestones are best to be light as well, so as not to overpower it. If you like purple, then a blush or rose de france colour could be a better choice.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I'd love to see this with sympathetic corner pronging, N-S, and echo Chrono's thought of Rose de France as the side/accent stones. I also would love it to have a brushed metal finish, to make the softer/ pastel approach continue into the metal. Possibly milgrain detailing? Definitely no bezelling, for sure.

It'll be beautiful! :love:

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Lady Disdain- thanks for the compliment on the stone, I love it! I agree that a darker purple would overwhelm, I'm definitely thinking lilac. Seems like the concensus is for a more delicate look than a bezel. I suppose I'll have to get my bezel fix with another project.

Petit bijou- you know, I really had trillions in my head, but now that you mention it, I think lilac traps might be really nice.

Chrono- I hadn't thought about chevron prongs, that's a great suggestion.

Natsplat- thanks for the suggestion on the brushed finish, I do think that might keep the whole look a little softer and more delicate, which is exactly what I think I'm going for.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would do a 5 stone, and prong set the middle stone, and bezel the sidestones to emphasize the composition to make it look art deco (and because you like bezels). I've attached a poor drawing below. There's an example of something like this on Leon Mege's site, style r377, also attached.

5stone.jpg

r377-01Ww.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results