shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set a CS band?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I went down a rabbit hole with this CS forum and got bit by the CS bug. Based on the Ceclie Raley thread I decided to check out the store and somehow :) ended up having to have these benitoites. I'm a CA girl and have always wanted to own a little piece of the state.

7 x 2.25 square cut benitoite

Screenshot_20191008-232309_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191008-232315_Chrome.jpg

Sorry I only have the shots from Yvonne.

Here us where I need advice. How should I set them? I know is I want a delicate setting but it has to be somewhat protected as these stones are not the hardest. And they will be a RHR stacked with a hammered silver band.

Yvonne tried to see if they would fit in an already made setting but no luck. The cost for a custom CAD version of a bezel set was a little more than I wanted to pay, she didn't think the silver would work and offered to look around for me. She was able to locate this setting but not sure I love it. And while less than full custom it is still pricey. She did say the channel would be wider and it could be shaved down. Right now it is 3.5mm which seems really wide, but I have no reference. It looks like a man's ring to me, the opposite of the delicate look i was going for.
icm_75x75.220303510_30n6xhrxib8kw8kc0s0c.jpg icm_75x75.220303518_pjiize42vr4wsg0cokow.jpg

Problem is I have no vision for how i would want these set. Do I just go with the channel she has and hope for the best? The bezel idea seemed good since they are tiny and it would get me a little more coverage, but I can't find an example and I can't visualize it.

How would you set these? Are there sites, besides Stuller, that sell 7-stone settings?

Who would be the best person to set them assuming i do not purchase through Yvonne? Ivy and Rose don't appear to have any bands. I don't have anyone local I trust.
Thanks!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I would opt for a channel setting for the set.

Lovely set BTW.

DK :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bezel or channel setting would put pressure and invasive setting work on gems that are already soft. They would also partially cover stones that are small to begin with. Also, with an eternity band, you’re just asking for damage to these gems. These are more suited to a linear ombré pendant.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
@dk168 I figured that is the safest setting.

@T L yeah I'm similarly concerned about the bezeling. Yvonne suggested the channel to keep them safe. Part of why I was leaning towards her was her experience in having previously worked with these stones. I should have clarified, I won't be wearing this daily (finger real estate issues) but as the occasional "I need color in my life" ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I figured that is the safest setting.

@T L yeah I'm similarly concerned about the bezeling. Yvonne suggested the channel to keep them safe. Part of why I was leaning towards her was her experience in having previously worked with these stones. I should have clarified, I won't be wearing this daily (finger real estate issues) but as the occasional "I need color in my life" ring.
If I were to do a bezel it channel set ring, I’d probably do David Klass. His bezel work is superior, as most jewelers can really create poor bezels, even otherwise great jewelers.

However, even if you were to do that, the ombré effect would not be as pronounced in an eternity band since not all of the stones would be showing at the same time.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My thoughts are to set them in a regular ring, not an eternity band. Maybe alternating with diamonds as in the top sketch; or grouped together to provide a splash of central color, and then surrounded with a protective diamond halo as in the bottom sketch.

1 Sketch.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you wanted to keep the seven square cuts in a straight line, another option might be to put a line of 1.1mm diamonds down both sides of the band.

2 Sketch.jpg
I don't know if it's a good idea to share prongs with diamonds and softer stones, but if so, this design would be ideal for it. Maybe a raised protective lip along the outer edge of the diamonds? Perhaps even channel set the diamond outer edges?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
You all are wonderful. OmG those sketches! Such food for thought. I need to go back and re-reafld, thank you again for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results