Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 11. Other, please explain.

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consider "woke" to represent critical race theory and cancel culture - I am opposed to both of these.

Hahahaha! "Cancel culture" is what used to be known as "accountability." No wonder it is so unpopular now. You non-stop lie or abuse women and/or subordinates and people don't respect you or the things you try to sell. It's not very complicated. And it is not new. Lots of "cancelling" in the Bible -- for those who understand that book and don't just quote it.

Reactions: westofhere, JPie, FL_runner and 4 others

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
In my experience “woke” and “cancel culture” are terms used by the racists, misogynists, and homophobes in my life whenever they’re called out on their bad behaviour.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Self-awareness is the first step. There are many, many steps that need to be taken. Allyship, driving broader awareness, and helping change things.

I wish I had more energy to help personally vs. standing on the sidelines, but I am so overwhelmed by the COVID and other personal situations that I have to prioritize my own wellbeing first.

Q

Queenie60

Hahahaha! "Cancel culture" is what used to be known as "accountability." No wonder it is so unpopular now. You non-stop lie or abuse women and/or subordinates and people don't respect you or the things you try to sell. It's not very complicated. And it is not new. Lots of "cancelling" in the Bible -- for those who understand that book and don't just quote it.

How so???? A list of cartoon characters that have been cancelled by Cancel Culture -Dr. Seuss; Winnie the Pooh; Dora the Explorers Parents;; Lucy, from Charlie Brown and Thomas the Tank Engine. This has nothing to do with "accountability" it has to do with a group of people who decided they don't like these characters for one reason or another. Go figure? And it has nothing to do with the Bible.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
How so???? A list of cartoon characters that have been cancelled by Cancel Culture -Dr. Seuss; Winnie the Pooh; Dora the Explorers Parents;; Lucy, from Charlie Brown and Thomas the Tank Engine. This has nothing to do with "accountability" it has to do with a group of people who decided they don't like these characters for one reason or another. Go figure? And it has nothing to do with the Bible.

I thought we thoroughly went over the Dr. Seuss thing in another thread. He is not cancelled. A small number of his books with blatantly racist imagery will no longer be printed.

Some of his earlier works depict people who are not white as outsiders/stereotypes/animalistic. He is responsible for a huge volume of anti Japanese propaganda. He publicly endorsed the murder of women and children.

He did have a change of heart, as evidenced in his later books where he spoke about the fellowship of mankind.

We can still celebrate the man who he became and enjoy his books without perpetuating his racism.

Jaquette

Rough_Rock
I don't consider myself woke at all because I think it's a nonsense term that's taken on a life of its own that's become politicized. I try to be nice to people and don't judge them based on things they can't control. It's common sense to me to treat people well and care about their well being.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought we thoroughly went over the Dr. Seuss thing in another thread. He is not cancelled. A small number of his books with blatantly racist imagery will no longer be printed.

Some of his earlier works depict people who are not white as outsiders/stereotypes/animalistic. He is responsible for a huge volume of anti Japanese propaganda. He publicly endorsed the murder of women and children.

He did have a change of heart, as evidenced in his later books where he spoke about the fellowship of mankind.

We can still celebrate the man who he became and enjoy his books without perpetuating his racism.

And it was the Seuss estate itself which pulled the books, which escaped everyone who was up in arms about it.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How woke....I consider myself intolerant of racism of any kind. I despise prejudice against gay or trans people. But I have yet to encounter a binary person, and if I mistakenly referred to them with the wrong pronoun (he or she) I would fully expect to get scolded over those more woke than I.

And I think the brouhaha over JK Rowling was overdone, so there goes more of my woke cred.

But I do want to clarify that I consider a trans person to be the sex they transitioned to. Deborah taught me that. She was a patient, a trans woman, and she was undoubtedly female where it mattered - inside.

Last edited:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the point of the SNL skit was how over the top and silly the whole PC & woke movements can get.

So, where should one draw the line to do the right thing, but not take it to the silly level?
I have no idea where anyone else should draw the line, only where I draw the line.
Only each individual knows where they draw the line.

That's the annoying thing about woke, sharing the planet with others.
Everyone feels they are right, but everyone varies.

IMO the whole reason woke is a broken word is it doesn't include a People Vary Clause.
Woke's premise seems to be, there's only one right way to be, and everyone must conform to it or they become "them", not "us". :angryfire:

Sound familiar?

I won't bother posting the pic of the jets exploding into the WTC.

I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why 'woke' is seen as being so problematic; woke is only OK if you're not positing yourself as morally superior and trying to dictate how others live their lives.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that they force MLB Cleveland Indians and NFL Redskins to change their names. Who/what is next? :rolleyes:

W

westofhere

“Woke” is today’s extremist media’s equivalent of “politically correct.” Both take empathy and a belief in human rights and turn them into racist dog whistles. Critical Race Theory is the same—a common sense and obvious look at American history turned into fearmongering by trash media figures and the lobbying groups who m*sturbate them

W

westofhere

There are slurs for Asians I obviously won’t repeat, Dancing Fire. You honestly wouldn’t mind if a sports team used that word as their team name, or had a person dress up as a racist caricature and be their mascot, embodying 300+ years of racist history? You’d want to your grandchildren to see that figure standing on a football field?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are slurs for Asians I obviously won’t repeat, Dancing Fire. You honestly wouldn’t mind if a sports team used that word as their team name, or had a person dress up as a racist caricature and be their mascot, embodying 300+ years of racist history? You’d want to your grandchildren to see that figure standing on a football field?
I don't see anything wrong with the names Redskins and Indians. History is history don't try to change it. Should I melt all my Indian gold pieces?

DSCN0608.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0584.JPG
    DSCN0584.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0553.JPG
    DSCN0553.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 2
W

westofhere

Perhaps think about it more? There’s a slur that’s been used throughout American history to describe the skin of Asian Americans, partly because it’s a racist synonym with cowardice, and there are other slurs used to describe facial features. These slurs have been part of the fabric of discrimination against Asian Americans, from the denial of suffrage to the Chinese Exclusion Act to Japanese internment camps and the attendant confiscation of Japanese Americans’ property to the recent rash of violent crimes against Asian Americans by a-holes who blame all Asian Americans for this virus. Would you want a team to be called by that term?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think any term can be misappropriated if you try hard enough.

Extremists on both sides of the spectrum just take things and run with it. I’m not a fan of either end. The concept of wokeness is the perfect example.

I think current manifestations of wokeness and cancel culture are largely performative or “slacktivist”, and those who claim it’s “mob rule” or violating free speech are just fear mongering.

Wokeness gained traction with social media. It started from a place of acknowledging inequality and frustrations with bad people doing bad things bad things to defenseless people. It’s not really about empathy anymore so much as it’s about assuaging guilt and virtue signaling.

The problem is that if someone steps outside of the arbitrary, fuzzy boundaries of being “woke” - things turn into a sloppy, dogmatic debate over right and wrong. Holier than thou folks feel it’s their place to publicly shame or scrutinize people or situations that they may know really nothing about, at least not factually. The tactic is as exhausting as it is polarizing.

I wish more Americans would rely (or try to improve) the judicial system, or even care about facts over conforming everything to their own narrative. Or channel all of that energy into something more productive, like self improvement. Sharing crap on social media about public figures does nothing, because ultimately they suffer little consequence in the end because it’s never about legality, but about morals.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF doesnt know (or give a flying F more likely) the actual cause for name changes. Hence why he won't respond to the "who" he refers to as ruining some sort of racist heritage. The term "redskins" has been problematic since the 1800s, and various native groups have asked (and asked, and asked and askedandaskedandaskedandasked) for the names to be changed. Since 1971 almost 2/3 of sports teams with native imagery/names have changed.
A direct quote from past redskins hall of famers:

"[If] Native Americans feel like Redskins or the Chiefs or [another] name is offensive to them, then who are we to say to them, 'No, it's not?' " Monk said. Green agreed, saying, "It deserves and warrants conversation because somebody is saying, 'Hey, this offends me,' and then you have a conversation."

And funny enough, this article is from 2013, this is a quote from the owner - that didn't age well!
Daniel Snyder has been vocal in his support for the name and has insisted that it's here to stay. "We'll never change the name," Snyder told USA Today in May. "It's that simple. NEVER — you can use caps."

God how I wish some of the people who post here would do one iota of research

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interestingly, we do a unit on this very topic in my class. We present both sides of the sports name argument, and there are two sides. We then write letters to Dan Snyder (Washington football’s owner) stating our arguments for or against the name. There are some Native American groups who benefit from the use of their name. I believe the Florida (university) Seminole’s, for example, give free tuition to any person of Seminole heritage.
FWIW, the majority of students think the name should be changed and I agree.

Af far as cancel culture and wokeness goes, I think Jon Stewart sums it up nicely…

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is an interesting topic. As a white woman of a certain age, I certainly see things differently that I used to. I grew up in a very racist house, although I didn't understand that at the time. While I turned my back on all of that many years ago, I didn't see racism in everything. During the last couple of years, I have tried to see things from a black persons perspective as much as I can. I got together with my very conservative group of friends last Friday, and I was surprised at how much our opinions varied. I didn't agree with hardly anything they said, and I really didn't want to discuss it with them.
I don't want to be upset with everything I hear about in the news and I don't put to much stock in the truth of any of it. I can't change much, even if I got 'involved', whatever the heck that would mean. At this point, I want to be kind to people and inclusive. You just don't know the details of other peoples lives. So many are struggling and I just have no desire to have any kind of judgement of anyone. The stories and videos I have seen about people being killed by the police upset me greatly.
One of my friends told me about a black guy who produced some statistic about how many black people are killed by police that differs from what the media tells people. I just don't even care. I just want it all to stop. I guess that is what woke means to me.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see anything wrong with the names Redskins and Indians. History is history don't try to change it. Should I melt all my Indian gold pieces?

DSCN0608.JPG

Redskin is a pejorative, a slur against the native American skin color. Indian comes from the French indigèns, the indigenous. No one would appreciate an Asian team called the Slanteyes. This renaming of these teams is totally understandable to me while some of woke culture is not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results