Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 11. Other, please explain.

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

LilAlex

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I consider "woke" to represent critical race theory and cancel culture - I am opposed to both of these.

Hahahaha! "Cancel culture" is what used to be known as "accountability." No wonder it is so unpopular now. You non-stop lie or abuse women and/or subordinates and people don't respect you or the things you try to sell. It's not very complicated. And it is not new. Lots of "cancelling" in the Bible -- for those who understand that book and don't just quote it.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Self-awareness is the first step. There are many, many steps that need to be taken. Allyship, driving broader awareness, and helping change things.

I wish I had more energy to help personally vs. standing on the sidelines, but I am so overwhelmed by the COVID and other personal situations that I have to prioritize my own wellbeing first.

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahahaha! "Cancel culture" is what used to be known as "accountability." No wonder it is so unpopular now. You non-stop lie or abuse women and/or subordinates and people don't respect you or the things you try to sell. It's not very complicated. And it is not new. Lots of "cancelling" in the Bible -- for those who understand that book and don't just quote it.

How so???? A list of cartoon characters that have been cancelled by Cancel Culture -Dr. Seuss; Winnie the Pooh; Dora the Explorers Parents;; Lucy, from Charlie Brown and Thomas the Tank Engine. This has nothing to do with "accountability" it has to do with a group of people who decided they don't like these characters for one reason or another. Go figure? And it has nothing to do with the Bible.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
How so???? A list of cartoon characters that have been cancelled by Cancel Culture -Dr. Seuss; Winnie the Pooh; Dora the Explorers Parents;; Lucy, from Charlie Brown and Thomas the Tank Engine. This has nothing to do with "accountability" it has to do with a group of people who decided they don't like these characters for one reason or another. Go figure? And it has nothing to do with the Bible.

I thought we thoroughly went over the Dr. Seuss thing in another thread. He is not cancelled. A small number of his books with blatantly racist imagery will no longer be printed.

Some of his earlier works depict people who are not white as outsiders/stereotypes/animalistic. He is responsible for a huge volume of anti Japanese propaganda. He publicly endorsed the murder of women and children.

He did have a change of heart, as evidenced in his later books where he spoke about the fellowship of mankind.

We can still celebrate the man who he became and enjoy his books without perpetuating his racism.

Jaquette

Rough_Rock
I don't consider myself woke at all because I think it's a nonsense term that's taken on a life of its own that's become politicized. I try to be nice to people and don't judge them based on things they can't control. It's common sense to me to treat people well and care about their well being.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought we thoroughly went over the Dr. Seuss thing in another thread. He is not cancelled. A small number of his books with blatantly racist imagery will no longer be printed.

Some of his earlier works depict people who are not white as outsiders/stereotypes/animalistic. He is responsible for a huge volume of anti Japanese propaganda. He publicly endorsed the murder of women and children.

He did have a change of heart, as evidenced in his later books where he spoke about the fellowship of mankind.

We can still celebrate the man who he became and enjoy his books without perpetuating his racism.

And it was the Seuss estate itself which pulled the books, which escaped everyone who was up in arms about it.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How woke....I consider myself intolerant of racism of any kind. I despise prejudice against gay or trans people. But I have yet to encounter a binary person, and if I mistakenly referred to them with the wrong pronoun (he or she) I would fully expect to get scolded over those more woke than I.

And I think the brouhaha over JK Rowling was overdone, so there goes more of my woke cred.

But I do want to clarify that I consider a trans person to be the sex they transitioned to. Deborah taught me that. She was a patient, a trans woman, and she was undoubtedly female where it mattered - inside.

Last edited:

jordyonbass

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think the point of the SNL skit was how over the top and silly the whole PC & woke movements can get.

So, where should one draw the line to do the right thing, but not take it to the silly level?
I have no idea where anyone else should draw the line, only where I draw the line.
Only each individual knows where they draw the line.

That's the annoying thing about woke, sharing the planet with others.
Everyone feels they are right, but everyone varies.

IMO the whole reason woke is a broken word is it doesn't include a People Vary Clause.
Woke's premise seems to be, there's only one right way to be, and everyone must conform to it or they become "them", not "us". :angryfire:

Sound familiar?

I won't bother posting the pic of the jets exploding into the WTC.

I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why 'woke' is seen as being so problematic; woke is only OK if you're not positing yourself as morally superior and trying to dictate how others live their lives.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Who was Jean Schlumberger?
    Who was Jean Schlumberger?
    The Jewelry of Disney's Cruella
    The Jewelry of Disney's Cruella
    He Said, "Yes!"
    He Said, "Yes!"

Need expert help finding that diamonds?

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.