Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 11. Other, please explain.

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a scale from 0 to 10, how "woke" do you consider yourself?

If you're not sure what woke means, please look it up wherever you look things up.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, @kenny - are you the one sleeping at 0?

I gave myself a 10. I'm so woke I'm depressed. Ignorance might be bliss, but it doesn't make change happen!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, google is your friend. :mrgreen:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on your definition of the word.

The Urban Dictionary defines woke as “the act of being very pretentious about how much you care about social issues.”

Wikipedia defines it as "a term that refers to awareness of issues that concern social justice and racial justice".

If one uses the latter definition then yes. I am always trying to do that. To be socially aware and consciously awake. I am always striving to be aware and do better. I cannot put a percentage on it though because that would just be a guess. No one is perfect so I know it isn't 100%.

But pertaining to the first definition, no. I don't care what others think about how much I care about social issues and I am certainly not pretentious about it. I care about social issues and what I can do to make things better and that is what matters.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on your definition of the word.

The Urban Dictionary defines woke as “the act of being very pretentious about how much you care about social issues.”

Wikipedia defines it as "a term that refers to awareness of issues that concern social justice and racial justice".

If one uses the latter definition then yes. I am always trying to do that. To be socially aware and consciously awake. I am always striving to be aware and do better. I cannot put a percentage on it though because that would just be a guess. No one is perfect so I know it isn't 100%.

But pertaining to the first definition, no. I don't care what others think about how much I care about social issues and I am certainly not pretentious about it. I care about social issues and what I can do to make things better and that is what matters.

Thank you for posting the definition, missy. I wasn't about to go look up the word "woke". I hear the stupid word "woke" used and I figure I can get it from context. I have better uses for the dictionary than looking up words people make up nowadays. When I pick up a book written by someone whose vocabulary exceeds mine and who actually has something to say, I have to look up his words. I have no extra time for baloney like "woke".

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
"Woke" is a self-congratulatory wink. "Woke" is self-focused, wearing a hat taking selfies kinda nothingism. Please don't call me woke. Love is selfless in nature, not an identity on a T-shirt.

I'll look for ways I can do better as a human. Nothing about that calls attention to self.

PS: I Bet everyone here wants to do well and love others. I do honor that thought.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all.

I also have been somewhat perplexed by the term "woke".
Initially it seemed like a simple term for a good thing.
But it has somehow also grown to be seen as a negative thing.

Woke now has two meanings, each opposite the other.
Calling someone woke can be a compliment or an insult depending on caller.

It is unfortunate America is now so polarized. :nono:
Sometimes it seems that the 'sides' go to war over virtually everything. :doh:

FWIW, I couldn't bring myself to vote in the very poll I created.
The meaning of the term is too much of a train wreck.

If I could do magic, I'd just vanish the term woke, and the sides.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ye

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point, FK.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all.

I also have been somewhat perplexed by the term "woke".
Initially it seemed like a simple term for a good thing.
But it has somehow also grown to be seen as a negative thing.

Woke now has two meanings, each opposite the other.
Calling someone woke can be a compliment or an insult depending on caller.

It is unfortunate America is now so polarized. :nono:
Sometimes it seems that the 'sides' go to war over virtually everything. :doh:

FWIW, I couldn't bring myself to vote in the very poll I created.
The meaning of the term is too much of a train wreck.

If I could do magic, I'd just vanish the term woke, and the sides.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

No worries.

The problem I see with the word woke is it has various meanings to various groups of people.
To me that makes it a broken word.

I might come across as a jerk for starting a poll about a word that I have little confidence in.
But the posts in this thread exposes the problem with the word itself.
That was the point I suspected a poll like this would make.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, my "10" neither meant I'm not learning nor that I'm pretentious. I simply meant that I am extremely aware of all the cr*p happening throughout this country -and the world - to women, children, POC, etc. and that not only is the issue systemic, institutional, and ingrained, but it has and is being repeated throughout history.

I'm not going to discuss it further because it's too polarizing, which is another shameful thing.

I am always learning, but that's part of it- learning, educating others, making positive change.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More proof that woke is a broken word.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly, most words these days require me to visit Urban Dictionary. Maybe the poll should've been "How are aware/educated are you on racial issues" or something because that's what I thought you meant. And don't even get me started on people being triggered!

BTW, what's wrong with pants that are too big and sizeless? :lol-2: I think i would like them!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the point of the SNL skit was how over the top and silly the whole PC & woke movements can get.

So, where should one draw the line to do the right thing, but not take it to the silly level?
I have no idea where anyone else should draw the line, only where I draw the line.
Only each individual knows where they draw the line.

That's the annoying thing about woke, sharing the planet with others.
Everyone feels they are right, but everyone varies.

IMO the whole reason woke is a broken word is it doesn't include a People Vary Clause.
Woke's premise seems to be, there's only one right way to be, and everyone must conform to it or they become "them", not "us". :angryfire:

Sound familiar?

I won't bother posting the pic of the jets exploding into the WTC.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So one can be 0% woke and 100% woke at the same time :D

Sure, just as the farthest-left and the farthest-right person will both consider themselves to be right about their polar-opposite views on the same thing.

People vary, but everyone feels they are right ... I mean, correct. ;))

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I’m above 50%. There are probably things that I’m not aware of.

voce

Ideal_Rock
"Woke" is a self-congratulatory wink. "Woke" is self-focused, wearing a hat taking selfies kinda nothingism. Please don't call me woke. Love is selfless in nature, not an identity on a T-shirt.

I'll look for ways I can do better as a human. Nothing about that calls attention to self.

PS: I Bet everyone here wants to do well and love others. I do honor that thought.

This. I care about social issues and justice. I don't care to label myself "woke" because it's so self-congratulatory.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

This reminds me of the Women's Liberation Movement. We called it "consciousness raising", Whenever I think of he 70's those words enter my mind. Woke is he same thing. Its an awareness brought to the forefront of your mind, due to the events of our time. I do agree that some people will more "woke" than others and so it was with Womens rights. Its a call to action, Just my 2 cents.

Annette

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the point of the SNL skit was how over the top and silly the whole PC & woke movements can get.

So, where should one draw the line to do the right thing, but not take it to the silly level?
I have no idea where anyone else should draw the line, only where I draw the line.
Only each individual knows where they draw the line.

That's the annoying thing about woke, sharing the planet with others.
Everyone feels they are right, but everyone varies.

IMO the whole reason woke is a broken word is it doesn't include a People Vary Clause.
Woke's premise seems to be, there's only one right way to be, and everyone must conform to it or they become "them", not "us". :angryfire:

Sound familiar?

I won't bother posting the pic of the jets exploding into the WTC.

I agree with Kenny, I feel in essence wokeness started as a positive thing being "aware" of issues that concern social justice and racial justice (Wiki) but has quickly escalated into a negative thing where copious virtue signalling is a total joke. There is no room for level-headed discussion of the facts, no room for varied opinion - just straight up WE are RIGHT therefore YOU are WRONG... The moment you dissent from the party line, you are hysterically labelled a racist, sexist, a climate change denier etc etc you catch my drift. I genuinely feel social media has totally changed the landscape - in some positive ways (exposure of issues) but also in some dark ways too.... My Dad mentioned this is turning more and more into 1984

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results