shape
carat
color
clarity

How will you handle questions about your ring?

OCDnovice

Rough_Rock
Hey Ladies, so my SO and I have been designing my ring together and he will be officially proposing sometime next week once my ring is ready. I am getting kind of nervous about how to handle questions I will get at work and from friends. I definitely don't want to divulge the price of the ring (especially to my family who may think he spent too much or to coworkers who I don't know that well—for safety). But I already got a question from one of my managers asking the carat weight. Do you guys think it's okay to give out this info? What info would you be willing to share and what would you not want to share? I have been trying to think of graceful ways of politely declining to answer some of the questions. Any tips? :confused:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Since an engagement ring is a gift it is understandable that you, the recipient, don't know the details.

I would never divulge what my fiance paid for my gift. I would claim that I didn't know.

I would not care so much about size question because it's obvious if your stone is tiny or huge but you can round off the carat weight, or again claim ignorance and say you don't know.

I find questions about the cost or size of one's diamonds to be quite rude, and not deserving of an answer. It's an inappropriate topic to discuss at work and can cause some resentment and jealously, especially when it comes time for a raise!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
swingirl|1316414874|3020536 said:
Since an engagement ring is a gift it is understandable that you, the recipient, don't know the details.

I would never divulge what my fiance paid for my gift. I would claim that I didn't know.

I would not care so much about size question because it's obvious if your stone is tiny or huge but you can round off the carat weight, or again claim ignorance and say you don't know.

I find questions about the cost or size of one's diamonds to be quite rude, and not deserving of an answer. It's an inappropriate topic to discuss at work and can cause some resentment and jealously, especially when it comes time for a raise!
Swingirl, you're right, but if the stone is big, they may very well assume he paid more than he did. It's not too unlike trying to hide how much you paid for a brand-new car: even if you don't tell people, they're going to be able to make some pretty close guesses.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely wouldn't tell anyone what the ring cost (even if you know exactly what it cost) simply because that seems tacky to me. I also consider it rude for them to even ask.

As for carat weight, I would just round it, like swingirl said. If you really don't want to share it, then just say that it is the perfect size for you.

OCDnovice

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips guys! I agree I would not answer questions about the price, and that's a perfect response to the carat question, Mayflowers!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
I designed my ring with my fiancee but I only know how much the sapphire center stone cost. I don't know how much the gold was or all the diamonds so I can honestly tell people I don't know (though thank goodness no one has asked!). If someone asks specifics I tell them the carat weight of the sapphire and that it's solid 18k gold. That's all. I think that you should divulge as much or as little about your ring as you want.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
I would never ask about carat weight, the size always seems to be a judgement thing. Unless it's coming from a PSer who truly just admires it. I'd direct any questions of that nature to "Look how sparkly!" And move on from the topic. I'd never divulge price, to anyone. It's an awkward question.

I have a $50 diamond in a $100 setting, not engagement. Does it matter? Not in the slightest, so idk why it would matter otherwise.

Good luck! Congrats on the upcoming proposal :))

mogster

Shiny_Rock
FI's and my respective coworkers asked about the price, and since we're both pretty candid about our lives (and so are our coworkers), we divulged. In retrospect, they shouldn't have asked and we shouldn't have told them. It's not that any negative comments were made, but the information is now out there for them to make whatever conjectures they so choose about our financial status. It was unnecessary and I regret it now.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I have never asked anyone how much their ring cost, but two people for one reason or another divulged the information to me. The funny thing was that one of them forgot they told me, and then incredulously asked me how I knew!

I think people who ask usually do so not for devious reasons, but because perhaps they are looking at rings for themselves and want to know a bit of information from their peers. I'd tell my good friends if they wanted to know, but never co-workers or random people

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
maebelle|1316539256|3021456 said:
I have never asked anyone how much their ring cost, but two people for one reason or another divulged the information to me. The funny thing was that one of them forgot they told me, and then incredulously asked me how I knew!

I think people who ask usually do so not for devious reasons, but because perhaps they are looking at rings for themselves and want to know a bit of information from their peers. I'd tell my good friends if they wanted to know, but never co-workers or random people

Totally agree with the second paragraph. I had people ask the carat weight because they genuinely are curious for thwi own purposes and ring buying.

I would tell people you don't know how much it costs and round off the carat weight..(about 1 ct or around a carat and a half) ...

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't share any info about cost or even size at work. I think most people have no idea how much well-cut diamonds can cost, especially if they got engaged before this year's price increases. I am shocked that anyone actually asks these questions at work! The only person I expect to ask about the cost of the ring is my mother :cheeky:

On the other hand, I would happily share info with friends who are ring shopping. When I was looking, friends shared details about their rings without my asking and I found it incredibly helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results