shape
carat
color
clarity

How to shrink 100% cotton sweater (but not too much)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I bought a sweater yesterday that is too big because it''s so cute (and was such a great price) that I couldn''t resist. Now I have to figure out how to shrink it, but not too much.

Any advice?

I can take pictures if you need to see it to help me.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i think this is just one of those shot in the dark things. the only thing i can think is to wash it in the machine on gentle cycle and then put it into the dryer to tumble about five minutes and then lay it flat to dry. i would make sure not to stretch it out any when shaping it. after it dries if that doesn''t work you can try something more severe. i don''t know what that would be other than hot water and more dryer with more heat. sometimes things will naturally draw up a small amount with just washing. how much too large is it? good luck!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, crown! I''m an extremist (wash and dry it on high would be my first instinct) but I know that would be a bad thing. The arms are belled, but come in at the wrist and are way to baggy. It''s empire style and it''s about 2" too loose around the waist. The length is fine, but would be okay if it shrunk up an inch or two (it''s currently mid-way to my knees, it''s meant to be long). I''m going to try what you suggested first, and then if I need to do more I will.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimi, I have always managed to do that without really trying. I like Crown''s idea. I have thought of trying to shrink my clothes in hot water and the dryer when they get too big for me but since that would shrink the length as well I didn''t bother. Good luck!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
So I tried crown''s idea and the sweater shrunk a tiny bit. We have no water, that''s a whole ''nother story, so I''ll have to try again after the plumber gets here and fixes the problem.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, you are making progress. I hope your water gets restored soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results