shape
carat
color
clarity

How to ship to Australia? (Not jewelry)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am having a back and forth with a lovely gentlemen in Queensland. We're trying to figure out shipping on a rather large box (approx. 18 x 16 x 12, and about 10 pounds). Both Fed Ex and DHL are coming in around $120. Does that seem right... ? I suddenly feel to very unworldly to realize that I don't even know how to efficiently ship outside of my own country. Oy. I really need to get out more! You want some depression glass in Atlanta -- I got you covered! You want some in Australia... I don't have a clue!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
What about USPS? I had something sent to me by USPS Priority Mail Express International (it was jewellery but wasn't declared lol). It got here exactly as the ETA had said during covid as well. I think it was something like 7 business days or less.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay -

I ship back and forth between Australia and the US all the time. Like - every week.

Use USPS, just package securely. Lots and lots of bubble wrap. We always pay for tracking, too, but that adds a chunk to the price.

And this is probably obvious but - always ship air, not surface.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@Dee*Jay -

I ship back and forth between Australia and the US all the time. Like - every week.

Use USPS, just package securely. Lots and lots of bubble wrap. We always pay for tracking, too, but that adds a chunk to the price.

And this is probably obvious but - always ship air, not surface.

Completely off topic: I love your avatar, @mrs-b!

Back on topic: Good luck with shipping, @Dee*Jay!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maryjane, I'm astonished anything could get to you in 7 days when things I'm shipping here are taking MUCH longer within this country!

Mrs B, do you use a flat rate box (there is a 12 x 12 x 6 for $71) or do you use your own box of a non-standard size? I can fit the glasses he wants in that size box but I am in a state of anxiety over how tight it is...

This is what I love about PS -- you all know EVERYTHING!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You will need a sit down with a stiff drink once you work out shipping price no matter who with or how you ship it :(2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to ship USPS international on Etsy, all the way to Spain believe it or not and it got there but it took a bit. What I would do is pack up the order like you are shipping it out, your box and packing material like it is good to go. Get his address and go down to the post office to get a price. That’s really the best way because the calculator on Etsy can be inaccurate and if the box is large they will charge extra if it is over certain dimensions.

Love those wisteria glasses in your shop, so pretty!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Double box and lots of bubble wrap then take it here to the Rockford Fedex hub, they are ninjas at working the fedex system and will guide you in everything you need to do.

For anyone else to find fedex owned and ran locations select "more" on the locations search then select "dangerous goods shipping". You will find your own shipping ninjas that way.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&D, my first quick whip through the Fed Ex site I don't know what I clicked but the shipping cost was $522!!! :o I did have to back away from the computer at that point and take a deep breath!

YYY, those are the glasses he's looking at!!! Apparently he's collecting a full set so he can do a seating for 8. I do love how they shift in the light; those are some of my favorites. I'm a sucker for all the colors, but especially the purples and the blues.

Stormy, you're a genius! That's only about 15 minutes from me and I can feel already that I'm going to make a lot of trips there over the course of this adventure. Today I had to drop something off and I just went to the one in the little strip mall at Mulford and State Street. I wasn't too impressed to be honest, so this is a GREAT option!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shipping US to Australia has got a lot more expensive. My sweet Jade bracelet just cost me $42 US Shipping. That’s just priority International, no insurance.
With glassware, definately double box, and sturdy box, and do t write Fragile. Want to give a bored mail person some entertainment, oops, kick, oops again? Nope.
Ive had to pass on quite a few lovely eBay items because the shipping quoted via Fed ex (I’m talking jewellery pieces not teak dining tables or an elephant) has been over $100 US. Covid has reduced flights so prices have gone up.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am having a back and forth with a lovely gentlemen in Queensland. ...
... "a back and forth with a lovely gentleman"? ... Oh, you naughty girl. :naughty:

Color me green with jealousy.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stormy, you're a genius! That's only about 15 minutes from me and I can feel already that I'm going to make a lot of trips there over the course of this adventure. Today I had to drop something off and I just went to the one in the little strip mall at Mulford and State Street. I wasn't too impressed to be honest, so this is a GREAT option!
naw just years ago my fedex guy told me about that place. Unless they updated it recently its not fancy at all its more industrial but they know what they are doing unlike the 3rd party stores for the most part.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bron, TR said the same thing about NOT writing fragile on it. Of course my first inclination was to print the word on neon stickers and pepper every side of the box with them, but we was like Noooooo.... !

Stomy, I'm all about getting in done right, and no need to do it in a fancy setting!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... "a back and forth with a lovely gentleman"? ... Oh, you naughty girl. :naughty:

Color me green with jealousy.

It went on for hours and hours... and at the end we were both quite satisfied! :cheeky:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maryjane, I'm astonished anything could get to you in 7 days when things I'm shipping here are taking MUCH longer within this country!

Mrs B, do you use a flat rate box (there is a 12 x 12 x 6 for $71) or do you use your own box of a non-standard size? I can fit the glasses he wants in that size box but I am in a state of anxiety over how tight it is...

This is what I love about PS -- you all know EVERYTHING!

I'm happy to use a flat rate box, so long as it can fit what I consider to be an adequate amount of packaging. My estimation of 'adequate' is - "massive, oodles, lots and tots, zero chance of this puppy breaking' sort of estimation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results