shape
carat
color
clarity

How to reset my ruby diamond ring

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Several years ago, my mom went to Switzerland and got me a ruby and diamond flower ring. Three rubies surrounded by diamond 'petals', mounted in yellow gold. The rubies aren't very clear but they are a nice true red. The style just doesn't suit me as I prefer more of a vintage look. Can you recommend how I can reset it, in an antique style setting, ideally using all the rubies and diamonds? I like rings and rarely wear earrings or necklaces.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would really need to see your ring in order to provide you any meaningful feedback. :))

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Just to demonstrate how little I wear this ring, I realized there are actually three diamonds in the centre with rubies surrounding them. What do you think? Worth resetting? Darn a bypass won't work.

image_2778.jpg image_2779.jpg image_2780.jpg
image_2781.jpg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a pretty ring. What about flipping the whole thing north-south? I think it might look better on your finger and it would create a slightly more vintage look. You could also slightly reposition the rubies to make a ruby halo around all three NS diamonds.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure about the North south orientation but I like the idea of turning it into one cluster. Maybe something like this?

image_2787.jpg

More photos.

image_2788.jpg image_2792.jpg

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I've got it!! Pokerface you were totally on to the North south orientation (I was wrong). I'll do a marquise shape like this, with rubies on the outsude and the diamonds on the inside! Yes!!

image_2793.jpg
image_2794.jpg image_2797.jpg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Make sure you check prices - a reset may well cost more than just buying a different ring.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Make sure you check prices - a reset may well cost more than just buying a different ring. The rubies are likely low-quality or synthetic - so I personally wouldn't bother paying to reset unless there's strong sentimental value or money is no object.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of a marquise shape and it would suit the shape of your fingers as well.

It might be worth taking the ring into a jewellers and see if they can test what you think might be diamonds. I don't know why but I think they may be white sapphires. Whatever they are, I like the contrast with the rubies (which I think are rubies but they're treated I think).

If you don't wear the ring but like the stones then it's definitely worth making into something else. HeartofWater are kind on your pocket so it might be worth approaching them. Also, if the ring is gold, it loks like you have a substantial gold weight there so it's worth selling the shank for scrap to get some money back for your new project.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
The stones in the marquis example ring appear to be graduated, I think the halo stones, but definitely the three center stones. It doesn't look like your stones have any graduation in them. I love the idea of going north/south, but just a note to not be surprised if you can't exactly capture the inspiration look. A good designer may be able to create some shape illusions with the metal to give you more of a pointed shape, so I'd ask about that if that design element is important to you!

It's going to be a fabulous ring when you're finished!

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I think you're right, the diamond-y stones look really white and have a fake sparkle, so they're either white sapphires or CZ. The rubies aren't too sparkly but are a nice true red - definitely some treatment and perhaps synthetic. You're right that the stones appear to be graduated in the marquise ring. Hmm you've given me food for thought, maybe i leave it as is. I emailed Sally for a quote so we'll see what she says. I think - better to start from scratch and do a stunning bypass ring, rather than try to frankenstein an existing one that may not even have high quality gemstones.

Thanks!

I'd recreate this Napoleon and Josephine ring, with a ruby instead of a sapphire, and probably smaller stones overall. Gorgeous!

nap_1.jpg
nap2.jpg
napoleon-ring.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results