shape
carat
color
clarity

How to propose without a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stobar

Rough_Rock
I want my gf to choose her engagement ring, so how can I surprize her/what can I present to her when I propose?

Anyone got any ideas/experiences?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can give her a box and as you propose, tell her you want her to be able to be there for the decision making process. Maybe put a picture of something in the box..if you say, this box is empty but let''s find something to put in it...or something like that...she might be a little sad not to have something to put on (because the first thing many people do upon hearing you are engaged is "Where is the ring?!)...but as long as she knows that you both will start the process soon, she might be fine with it. Do you not have a sense of what she might like? Has the discussion come up ever? Just curious, because you could also go ring shopping before you propose and get a really clear sense of things that way...

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2006 7:44:26 AM
Author:stobar
I want my gf to choose her engagement ring, so how can I surprize her/what can I present to her when I propose?

Anyone got any ideas/experiences?
My husband proposed to me with his engineering ring.....do you have a school ring of any type that would work?

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
How about putting a toy ring in a box....when she opens it, tell her you would like to buy her the real thing!

A lot of women would prefer picking out their own ering.....me included!!
31.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: blodthecat
31.gif
.....and some would prefer being completely surprised....(albeit not many PSers!
2.gif
)

I presume, stobar, you know which catagory your girl falls into?

The box idea is OK as long as she''s ''pre-warned'' that there isn''t a ring in it!

Why not arrange a "Breakfast at/or near Tiffany''s"....or some other fine jewelry store...so that you can " begin the ''hunt'' " together right away?

Just a thought...
widget

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
A friend proposed with a necklace (a miraculous medal on a chain). Actually his (now) wife said no but took the necklace
6.gif
, and is now married to him!
3.gif

My DH proposed sort of spur of the moment, no ring, no special plan of how he''d do it. Some girls might have been totally disappointed, but I''m not complaining.....

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2006 10:54:25 AM
Author: widget

31.gif
.....and some would prefer being completely surprised....(albeit not many PSers!
2.gif
)

The box idea is OK as long as she''s ''pre-warned'' that there isn''t a ring in it!

Why not arrange a ''Breakfast at/or near Tiffany''s''....or some other fine jewelry store...so that you can '' begin the ''hunt'' '' together right away?

Just a thought...
widget
OH Widget you know I''m all for the ''Breakfast At Tiffany''s'' idea.
9.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2006 11:46:49 AM
Author: moon river

Date: 4/24/2006 10:54:25 AM
Author: widget

31.gif
2.gif
)

Why not arrange a ''Breakfast at/or near Tiffany''s''....or some other fine jewelry store...so that you can '' begin the ''hunt'' '' together right away?

Just a thought...
widget
OH Widget you know I''m all for the ''Breakfast At Tiffany''s'' idea.
9.gif
I agree! Take her shopping... but then show her PS
2.gif

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
As a fun idea, you could get a metal ring from Office Depot. I cannot remember the name right now. It''s basically a metal ring that has a hinge at the halfway point, then opens up, you put paper in it, then snap it shut. Or you could use a keyring. Then print out a bunch of pictures of engagement rings, from simple to outrageous, punch a hole in the corner and put all the pictures on this "ring", then put the ring in a ring box. Or you could skip the ring box, and just take this pseudo ring out of your pocket. Maybe wise to laminate the pictures! You could joke that you couldn''t decide on any particular ring : ) If you go with the box route, I would definitely let her know before she opens the box that there isn''t an "engagement ring" per se in the box. I think it would be disappointing to be presented with the box, but no ring when it''s opened.

I also think that she is a very lucky girl to have a guy who will listen to her input and basically let her choose something she loves. Too many posts on here about guys who surprised their girls, and the girl hate the ring and feel awful about it, but they still don''t like the ring. Kudos.

I wish you well,

Bridget

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your proposal is a really good idea. I personally am picky and didn''t want to be "surprised" with a ring, but a surprising proposal would be nice. Maybe you could get a cheaper ring with a garnet or topaz or something that you think she might like and then tell her she can wear that as a temporary engagement ring and she can pick out the one she wants. Later on she could use the old ring as a right hand ring.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
If I had been proposed to without an e-ring, I'd have liked him to use a plain band. Then, you could get it blessed at your wedding and have it be a second wedding ring with significance, one that you can wear on trips or when you don't want to wear your e-ring.

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
If you know what kind/size of stone she will like you could purchase the stone (using PS of course!) and have it set into an inexpensive tiffany setting or (even maybe cheaper and kind of unique) have it put into an inexpensive pendant so she can wear it that way and show the diamond off to everyone until she gets her setting?

robdog

Rough_Rock
I proposed with a "loaner ring". hehee sounds like a car you get when you take original in to get a repair.

I got the basic solitare ring with a stone that I picked out. After the engagement we took the stone out and set it in something that she wanted.

You should be able to pick out the center stone, that really just depends on budget. Then a white gold solitare setting is SUPER cheap.

I did this for my proposal; here is the story: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-said-yes-my-proposal-story-long.44172/

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm..well, my hubby proposed without a ring. it was surprise proprosal, even to him
23.gif
2.gif
. We actually had talked once about rings but I really didn''t think about it at all. When he proposed I thought he was kidding and asked him if he was serious to be sure. Anyway, I was so happy he asked I didn''t even think about him doing it without a ring. After we talked about the ring and I chose what I wanted. He surprised me with a romantic dinner and then asked me again, with the ring
1.gif

I like the idea of maybe at least having a box with one of your Highschool rings or something to give her and then being able to go and pick it out together
1.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
How about using a single rose? Perhaps one of the ones where the petals start out pure white and transition to a red/blush on the tips?
Hmm. maybe you could stage the event at a fancy/romantic restaurant (outside courtyard?), and stash the flower there before hand with the host/ess? (just remember to have a little water thingy on it''s end). Then during dinner you could get up to go to the bathroom and come back with the rose behind your back. As you walk up to the table you can get down on one knee in front of her and present her with the rose. You could arrange ahead of time for the waiter to bring you guys two glasses of champagne right after she says yes and starts crying.

I''m not a huge fan of the empty box idea, or the toy ring in a box. If there was a box but no real ring inside, I''d feel a pang of disappointment simply because I was expecting to see a ring when I opened the box. And that''s the last thing you want.

You could still do the toy ring idea, but in your hand.. no box! It could be really sweet if you slipped the ''stand-in'' ring onto her finger as or right before you propose.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results