shape
carat
color
clarity

How to propose with just a loose diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Calvin1234

Rough_Rock
Ok, I have my diamond all picked out and purchased, I have it in my hot little hands. I am having a custom setting made for it, but that won''t be done for another 5-6 weeks from now. The occasion on which I want to propose is in two weeks though. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity I don''t want to miss it. I am trying to think of a way I can propose to her, presenting to her the diamond, and then have it set once the setting is ready.

Any ideas??

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Are you adverse to having the diamond placed in a cheap, temporary setting so she can wear it before it gets set into it's final destination? There is also nothing wrong with just presenting the stone to her at the time of proposal.

Calvin1234

Rough_Rock
I am thinking of the temporary setting idea, but still looking for alternatives. Like maybe a display box for the diamond, somehow.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
A while back someone posted a thread on boxes. I cannot remeber who it was that did, it might have been SuperIdealist. The box was a hand made wooden box with marquetry work (bad speller, please forgive me). This box was very beautiful, and a wonderful keepsake in and of itself. If you do a search on box, you might be able to get some ideas on presentation boxes. There is one problem though - you need to secure the stone somehow so it does not get lost or otherwise roll around in the box. Do you have the stone already? Sometimes vendors ship the stone in a really awful looking stone holder, which is by no means a ring, or even a temporary setting. Perhaps your jeweller, the one that is doing the setting, can place the stone in some sort of holder for you or provide a little box that will keep the stone from moving around in a presentation box. The jeweller may have some other suggestions for otherwise presenting the stone to your girl. I like the stone holder idea best because when the stone is taken out of the presentation box or any other packaging, and she will most certainly want to do that, there is less liklihood of dropping the small little beauty by accident.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
is this the thread you were talking about gale?
1.gif
LINK

Gale

Shiny_Rock
For the life of me Alexah I cannot find that thread! But this one

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/non-tiffany-ring-in-tiffany-box.14882/

has some nice box ideas in it. Sorry - I have forgotten how to do the link thing. I have been told how to do it, but haven't managed to absorb the lesson. Chialea had a great one to wooden boxes in that thread as well.

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I've gotta say I really like Gale's temporary setting suggestion, but there are some issues. For example, I knew my girlfriend would fall in love with the ring I gave her and wouldn't want to give it up even for a "better" replacement so I HAD to have it in a great setting when I gave it to her. That would differ from person to person though. I think most would be willing to have a nicer setting. It's not like you have to throw away it away either. She (or you) could put another gemstone in it and it can make a nice ring (or it can just be a memento).

The real issue is this: Once people learn she is engaged (unless you guys decide to keep it a secret) everyone will want to see the ring. Would she be more comfortable showing them a temporary ring, knowing it's not the real setting or would she be more comfortable telling everyone the setting isn't complete and not wearing any ring. You can't ask her now; you have to make that decision for her. As I'm thinking about this I realize that the temporary setting might give her the most choices. That way she can wear it if she wants to, or not, and tell people the setting isn't ready. If you give it to her in the box then she definitely can't wear it. Well something to think about anyway. I hope it helps.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
you can NOT NOT NOT give her a stone. forget it.

give her a RING with no stone sure, but stone with no RING????

Forget it. it's an engagement RING, not an engagement STONE.

WF has a tiffany mount for $80. Do it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results