shape
carat
color
clarity

How to present the ring during a proposal????

How to present the ring?

• In a box, and guy gets down on one knee and opens it.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • In a wrapped box, and guy gets down on one knee and gives her the box to open.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • In guys hand, and guy gets down on one knee to give it to her.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Does not really matter, just give her the ring already.

Votes: 14 25.5%

• Total voters

eddiexp

Rough_Rock
Sorry to invade your space ladies, but I have a pre-proposal question and require female opinions. And well I suppose this sort of qualifies as a pre-proposal syndrome right?? :bigsmile:

My question is how do I present the ring when I pop the question?

Originally I was just going to hide it in my pocket, and present her with just the ring in my hand. This way would be much easier to conceal the fact that I have a ring on me since it is still summer time, and I won't be wearing a thick coat I can easily hide a box in. I'd mostly be out with her most of the day before hand so if I try to hide a box in my pants pocket, I am pretty sure it’s going to be noticed by her at some point in time.

However, I do really like the idea of the dramatic effect and suspense of whipping out a box and cracking it open?

I was also thinking if I did go the route of the bringing along the box, then perhaps I could also wrap it up with a ribbon and let her open it?

I know for a fact that she the kind that loves a surprise, so what do you ladies think?

I really hope I am not intruding on your forum, but I really would appreciate any advice you can to help me come to a decision.

So please feel free to offer any suggestions and/or vote on the poll and let me know what would be the best idea.

Thanks so much!!!!

Eddie

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I like that not using the ring box helps keep everything a surprise. Ring boxes are usually pretty big, so I know I would notice one in my BF's pant pocket. Personally, if I was holding a very expensive ring in my pocket without a box, I would be very nervous that I would lose it. I would probably keep my hand in my pocket and fiddle with it constantly, which may draw just as much suspicion as a ring box bulge. Plus, then you will get smudges and fingerprints all over her brand new ring (that may not matter to her, but it probably would to us picky PSers ;-) )

I would prefer it to be in a box. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but the ring just floating around in a pocket by itself makes me nervous.

I don't know your specific plans, but is there any way you could put the ring box inside a wrapped larger box? Like maybe you say you bought her a gift just because it made you think of her (or something else much more creative than I can think of :) ). Because the ring box will be in a larger box, she won't be expecting a ring or proposal.

Hope that helped some!

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
In my head I have always pictured the ring in a box so that is how I voted! Maybe you could hide it in a camera case or other kind of bag?

mogster

Shiny_Rock
I love the dramatic effect and suspense, too, so I vote for the first option! I would be worried about losing the ring without a box, especially if you were going to propose on a beach where the ring could fall into the sand.

eddiexp

Rough_Rock
Hmm....so basically if it does not jeopardize the surprise element at all, in the box is the way to go it seems? I think am definitely going to re-plan my strategies and figure out a way to bring it along with the box in another bag or something. I promise not to ruin the surprise! :bigsmile:

Oh and when I said just stick it in my pocket I didn't mean literally just drop it in my pocket bare, I would be way too paranoid for that too! Imagine all the dirt, lint and scratches that would pick up :lol: I was actually planning to put it in a little envelope or pouch.

Thanks again so much!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I might be old school but to me you are not getting engaged with a box, you are getting engaged with a ring. Tiffany has made the "box" important to sell their product. But a man presenting a ring is how I envision an offer of marriage. It should be all about the proposal, not about the symbolic trinket. Just my opinion.

You certainly can carry the ring in a box for safety reasons, but I believe you should remove it from the box and present it to her.

violette

Rough_Rock
Hehe, I voted for the last option, but really, I would prefer to get the ring in a box. The whole down on one knee thing doesn't do anything for me, and I would be just as happy if he handed me the ring across the table or gave it to me when we were both standing somewhere.

I don't know how big your ring box is, but I know that my SO has taken my ring out of the larger outer box (because that's sitting on our coffee table :evil: ), and has hidden a much smaller box somewhere (almost definitely in his mancave). I've been good though and haven't even tried to seek a peak. I'm sure I would be able to tell if it was in his pocket though, especially if I bumped into it when hugging him, so I guess putting in inside a backpack or camera bag... or finding a much smaller non-jewelery box... would work.

Sun-Shine

Rough_Rock
Just a random suggestion... My SO wears lots of pants (shorts) that have cargo pockets, I don't know if you were doing a dinner, or if you were going to catch her out of the blue during a casual outing/walk, but that may be an option. Unless she subjects you to random pat-downs lol, or cargo pants are way out of your style-zone. (I'm half of a super casually dressed couple so cargo pants and scrubs make up most of our clothes!)

Good luck! Can't wait to hear the story ;-)

eddiexp

Rough_Rock
violette said:
I don't know how big your ring box is, but I know that my SO has taken my ring out of the larger outer box (because that's sitting on our coffee table :evil: ), and has hidden a much smaller box somewhere (almost definitely in his mancave). I've been good though and haven't even tried to seek a peak. I'm sure I would be able to tell if it was in his pocket though, especially if I bumped into it when hugging him, so I guess putting in inside a backpack or camera bag... or finding a much smaller non-jewelery box... would work.

That must be torture seeing the empty box :lol:

The ring box is one of those slightly bulkier ones, looks something like the attached picture. If you are wondering, I have everything hidden including the regular box and also separately from the ring as well. The ring is in a very secret box that no one will find it, I'll come back and reveal it later after the coast is clear just for fun, you will never guess I guarantee :bigsmile:

I really appreciate the suggestions, I am starting to lean towards trying my best to bring the box and present it with it, but not doing so if it’s going to end up blowing the surprise.

swingirl said:
I might be old school but to me you are not getting engaged with a box, you are getting engaged with a ring. Tiffany has made the "box" important to sell their product. But a man presenting a ring is how I envision an offer of marriage. It should be all about the proposal, not about the symbolic trinket. Just my opinion.

This is a very good point, as ultimately the last step is me sliding it on to her finger, so it's not terribly important where i retrieve it from :)

box.jpg

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I vote box. I still have the box mine was presented to me with 9 years later. :)

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Sun-Shine. My fiancee concealer the ring box in his cargo shorts pocket and I didn't notice it at all. I thought he was going to do it later that day so I wasn't exactly looking for a ring box, but it didn't stick out like a sore thumb either. I'd say go for the cargo shorts.

eddiexp

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions, I think I’ve devised a plan that will allow me to bring the box and not blow my cover :lol:

If anyone cares, I'll be sure to come back and update everyone after I've executed the plan successfully :D

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Just get her alone (somplace that has meaning for the two of you is a good idea), and tell her how you feel and say, "will you marry me?" Women want heartfelt. THAT is what we remember. That is what we will cherish. You on bended knee, ring gift wrapped or not, will not change what is most important: the reason you love her and want to spend forever with her. Nothing is more important to her than hearing those words from you, no matter how you present the ring.

I had only a few requirements of my guy, because he insisted on actually proposing after the ring was made, even though we had decided on the setting and the diamond together:

1) private, or at the very least, absolutely quiet without public fanfare
2) just us, no family involved; our moment alone

He reserved a favorite table in a nice restaurant, overlooking a lake, at sunset, and he said some lovely things, and slipped the ring on my finger. No hovering waiters; no hearty congratulations; no silly 'hide-the-ring' in the dessert. Just some previously arranged bubbly. Perfect for me; perfect for us.

If you're proposing, surely you know your woman very well. You know exactly how she'd like her proposal. Don't you?

Zunibaba

Rough_Rock
Option number 1 is classic but still works like magic. goosebumps all over. lol. :D

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would skip the down on one knee part - too theatrical for my taste. Personally, I would prefer that my BF just put his arm around my shoulders, holding me close, and asked me to marry him. I would prefer that the ring only come out after her answer, so that THE QUESTION is the focus for a moment, not the beautiful ring that commemorates it.

affguy

Shiny_Rock
While I can't comment for the ladies, I can tell you what I did in July. I wore cargo shorts and had a friend pass me the box shortly before the proposal, and then dropped to a knee and opened the box at the appropropriate time. Unless you'll be travelling when you propose, you could probably get a buddy to meet you in a restroom or something, so you're not hiding it all day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results