shape
carat
color
clarity

How to present ring if I''m letting her help with ring design?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondShopr

Rough_Rock
This may be a basic question but it has me stumped...If I decide to let her help design the ring (as many suggest) then how should I present it to her when I ask her to marry me??? Do I buy a cheap gold ring and have it first mounted in that ring (and how much would that cost?) or do I present a loose diamond (this takes away from tradition I think, can''t put a loose diamond on your finger???? Or do I just go ahead and design it myself....???? Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated....ThANKS!!!
errrr.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Diamond Shopper:

Your idea of setting the diamond in an inexpensive setting is a great one. It keeps the romance of the moment, but still lets her design the ring that she'll love for a lifetime!

Googleman

Rough_Rock
I second the notion that it would be a great idea to put it in a "cheap" setting, so she has something to wear on her finger right away!

I don't think this would be very expensive at all. In fact, if you haven't already bought your diamond, try to get them to throw in a cheapy setting "free" for you!

DiamondShopr

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback....it seemed like the best option to me but I really wasn't sure which way to go.....

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you wanted to save yet more money, you could buy a cheap sterl. silver ring with those cheap CZ's in them, pop the CZ out (yes prongs are soft & can be done or perhaps the guy making the ring can set it for you), then present her with the ring. Have an appt. to get the diamond set in her own setting the next day. :) Just make sure you set the stone in the proper setting as soon as possible cause she shouldnt be wearing it in the silver setting. I think this would run you about $20. And the money you save on the cheap setting can go towards a very lovely dinner. :)

Judy
:)

photogold

Rough_Rock
First of all, your girlfriend is very lucky that you are willing to let her choose her style ring. So many couples get engaged, and the man says "here, this is your ring". She doesn't have anything to say about it, has to wear it the rest of her life. I've heard women make comments like "well, maybe this style will grow on me". The diamond is also very important. Some women may have their heart set on a marquise, but you would never know it.

Getting a cheap ring with a CZ is one option, provided that you already have an appointment with a jeweler the next day
wink2.gif
Make sure the CZ is smaller than the diamond that you plan to buy
loopy.gif
Actually I think this is the smartest option.

Most reputable stores will let you buy a diamond and setting and let you trade it in with full credit for 30 days. Some store will even offer an unconditional refund for 30 days. With this option you can buy a real diamond for your presentation. I would suggest getting a basic setting. You can spent countless hours researching what you think is best, but the chance of you matching your fiancee's tastes is almost zero. Good luck

DiamondShopr

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. The diamond is bought already. She already had input on that for the most part because I knew that she wanted a round and at least a carat and that over 2 carats was "too big" so I got a 1.51ct D VS2 unbranded Ideal cut from Mondera. I haven't even seen it yet but fingers are crossed.....
The cut dimensions and everything else looked good as far as all of the research I did prior. I also believe that she wants a channel set ring for the most part, but listening to the posts if spending money on a ring (especiually if it ends up being platinum) then its best that I give her some of the final input.....

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Like I've posted to others before. It's a complete drag to know you're going to propose, so all your really waiting for is the day.
Drop the loose diamond in a glass of champagne.....
and come up with the rest
1.gif
eek.gif
appl.gif

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi DS,

Believe it or not, don't let it discourage you
if your sweetheart is already aware of your plans.

As a matter of fact, I believe that she may willingly want to become a part of the decision making process with you.

I know that this may take some of the surprise out of the occasion, but on the plus side, she will truly have her dream ring this way...

What you should start considering is the, when and where, as well as the presentation, to surprise her with it.

Kirk Konst

DiamondShopr

Rough_Rock
I thought i did a lot of research, but I guess not enough.....your site (diamondoptics) and that goodoldgold site with all those light tests are very cool....if the one I ordered doesn't turn out the way I planned, i know where to try next......

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi DS,

Thats very kind of you to say!
1.gif

I sincerely hope that your situation
works out for the best.
love.gif

Kirk

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And I'd ditto that.
1.gif
Thanks for the kind words DS.

Peace,
Rhino

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Diamond Shopper:

I think selecting a diamond and setting it in an inexpensive (but sturdy!) ring is the way to go.

My husband shopped for a unique diamond for me, and decided on a nice pear shape. He selected a nice, simple, sturdy solitaire setting, putting most of the cost into the diamond itself. He figured I'd probably want to get it remounted in a style of my choice after we selected wedding bands (he was planning ahead... proud, proud, proud of my little man!)

In the end, I love the solitaire setting, and it looks great with my band. Not an identical match, mind you, but it's nobodys business getting their eyeballs that close to my hand anyway.

Good luck!

--Lynn

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Hi. I think the CZ idea is neat. I've purchased from these vendors on ebay before & fooled a few people with the ring I bought. Go to this item on ebay & see what you think. It would do until you get her into a jeweler to choose your setting. If they have to custom order one, maybe then you could talk them out of a plain tiffany setting to put the diamond in so she could wear it until the stone's ready to set in the "real" thing. Good luck & soon to be congrats!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2611286839&category=15175

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results