shape
carat
color
clarity

How to measure for drapes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I have called two drapery places but they all say they have to call me back. I found one of my favorite fabrics on closeout (75% off) but they only have 22 yards left so I am trying to figure out if it is enough and I am afraid the fabric will be gone.

I have 3 windows 40w x 77 l (it is 96 inches to the floor)
I have a french door that would be about 98 inches to the floor. (about 80 inches wide)
I have a double window , 80w X 77 (again, 96 inches to the floor).
I want stationary panels with a nice pleat. No valances or anything.

Can anyone tell me if I am even close?
The fabric is 56 inches wide.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
66 feet of fabric, I''m going to say it''s not enough (but I''m not a seamstress and am only using some rules of thumb).

3 windows at 8'' to the floor x twice the width (for pleating and fullness) = 48 feet used

1 french door at 8''2" to the floor x twice width = 24 feet used

1 double window basically same as french door = 24 feet used

I''m thinking you need somewhere between 85 to 95 feet of fabric or something close to 31 yards.

Hopefully someone who works with drapes will chime in if I''m way off.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 5:01:40 PM
Author: purrfectpear
66 feet of fabric, I''m going to say it''s not enough (but I''m not a seamstress and am only using some rules of thumb).

3 windows at 8'' to the floor x twice the width (for pleating and fullness) = 48 feet used

1 french door at 8''2'' to the floor x twice width = 24 feet used

1 double window basically same as french door = 24 feet used

I''m thinking you need somewhere between 85 to 95 feet of fabric or something close to 31 yards.

Hopefully someone who works with drapes will chime in if I''m way off.
You are good, PP! I called a drapery company and they said 32 yards. So, I decided to use it in my guest bedroom which has fewer windows because I LOVE the fabric and it was so cheap that I didn''t want to let it get away. I had actually chosen this exact fabric like three years ago with my decorator and I switched decorators and told the new one that I wanted to use that fabric but she didn''t even try. I think she didn''t like using someone else''s choice because she couldn''t make any $$ from it.

I pulled the trigger. I actually bought it all because I couldn''t chance not having enough and I didn''t have time to set up and appointment to have the windows measured. The lady had the measurements on the windows so it just comes down to her having enough depending on the rod placement and such, which I don''t know yet. I didn''t really intend to do any of this now because we are watching our $$ but it very unusual to find 22 yards on a closeout site. Usually, they have 1 or 2 yards of fabric and you can''t do anything other than make a pillow with it. I can use any extra to make a pillow for the room.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results