shape
carat
color
clarity

How to make your own wine label?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
I like one of the idea a poster here did. User "Boston" but his last post was in 02/2003. So, I''m not sure if he''s still around.

But I would like to make my own label rather than going to a winery and pay them to do it. I found a site that does it (based in Atlanta) but they do not ship out of Georgia. And also I have to buy their wine. 6 bottles min.

http://www.chateauelanatlanta.com/Winery/Wine_Labels/Wine_labels.html

That might be a last resort since I might be going to Atlanta. But I would prefer to make the label myself. Buy a dozen bottles from Costco strip off the existing label, and put mine on. I''ll be set for anniversary (at least engagement anniversary) celebration for 12 years!

Now, I can''t seem to find a place where I can find wine bottle labels. Blank ones. Any ideas?

WalnutCrunch

Rough_Rock
A friend of mine is printing his own invites and he says the company makes wine labels as well. They're called Gartner and the site is at www.uprint.com. You can get them at Staples or Michaels, I think. They work for both inkjets and lasers, supposedly.

There's also a bunch of sites that you can order labels from. I did a search a few days ago but didn't bookmark any of them. They shouldn't be hard to find.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Walnut - thanks. I can find labels for just about anything. But I cannot find one specifically for putting on wine bottles. Maybe I could use the regular labels. Thought I could find a company making labels specifically for wine bottles.

edit - I read again what I wrote. What I want is a company that sells blank labels that I can then print using my home ink jet printer. I'm not looking for a company to print and sell the labels to me.

WalnutCrunch

Rough_Rock
OK then I must clarify what I wrote. Gartner makes blank wine labels. I don't know how good they look or how much they cost. They work with both inkjets and lasers. They have a list of places that stock their labels on their website.

I also found http://www.4th-vine.com/ which is also another place that sells blank wine labels for printing. They seem to have a large selection available online.

WC

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Just an update. I finally did purchase 2 type of templates from 4th-wine. Will be creating my own message and graphics soon. Now, I gotta wait for the ring, decide on wine and make my VCD
1.gif

DiehardSearcher

Rough_Rock
jlim,

I proposed with a bottle of wine as well. Say what you will about Silver Oak, it is a special wine to us, as our wine cellar can verify.

I replaced a Silver Oak front label with a replica in which I overwrote the vintage to 2003, and replaced the vineyard with "Karen, will you marry me". I removed the rear label, and had a poem I had written engraved on it instead.

I printed a scanned/edited label image onto an Avery 08765 label (Glossy White, InkJet, Permanent-Adhesive, 7-3/4" x 9-1/2"). Inkjet ink is water soluable, so after an overnight drying period, I sprayed the label with a high-gloss finish (available at any crafts store near the canvas and painting supplies). This will prevent the ink from running as we store the bottle in our cellar for many years to come. After another overnight drying period, I hand cut the label and placed on the bottle.

The Silver Oak label is glossy, and believe me, although my label is a little thicker, you absolutely cannot tell that that mine wasn't professionally printed. It took quite awhile before Karen actually noticed something was amiss with our bottle of wine.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
diehard - that's great. Where did you buy the Avery labels from? How did you get the poem engraved on the bottle itself??

Good tip on the spray. My Epson ink is somewhat water resistant but not water proof. So, it is gets soak in ice, it'll definitely run I'm sure.

My gf. is not much of a wine drinker. I might get some ice wine or champagne instead.

DiehardSearcher

Rough_Rock
I couldn't find anyone in Houston who stocked those particular labels, so I had OfficeDepot ship it to me. I think I paid $5 to have it shipped to my door, which I thought was more than reasonable.

It took a long time to find someone who could do the engraving (and I didn't feel was like a hardware store that also could engrave). In the end, I found PenDance (www.pendance.com). She did it in a calligraphy style that was very beautiful, very professional, yet not machine like. You can tell it is done by hand, which I thought was perfect. Check out their site, maybe you can find similar type services in your area. If not, ship it to Maureen at PenDance.

We didn't drink ours (I brought 2 bottles of wine to the picnic...and who wants a full-bodied american oak cabernet on a picnic anyway?). She will save it, and show it to her girlfriends to embarass me.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
diehard - will do. The labels I bought from 4th-vine were ok IMO. I'll see if my local OfficeDepot/Staples/OfficeMax carries the Avery kind you bought.

2 bottles isn't an embarassment. I plan to buy 10 bottles. And make custom labels to say 2003-, 2003-2004, 2003-2005 etc. for the next 10 years. I'll be embarassed for 10 years in that case. Not to mention costly too if I buy anything more than $20/bottle. But at least 10 years down the road, I'm gonna have more than a 10 year old bottle of wine
1.gif

The alternative is to buy a Dom Perignon Brut from Costco for $80. But I don't know if the Brut is any good (not that I can appreciate wine or champagne anyway). Costco do sell the Dom Perignon Rose for $190! Of course there are more expensive ones, but this is costly to me since the most expensive wine I bought is $20 from Costco.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Find a nice red that is age-worthy and go with the 10 bottle idea. Get a full case, 12 bottles and you'll have 2 extra to have on a whim. Some vineyards will do custom engraving for you and would probably be very happy to do this for you, especially if you buy a case. If you like Italian varietals, I'd recommend a small California vineyard called Viansa. Great wines, a little pricey though, like most CA wines.

This is a great idea guys. Congrats to you DHS, good luck Jlim.

mmvickery

Rough_Rock
Hello. I wanted to correct the URL posted on 6/12/2003. It's actually www.pendance.us (rather than www.pendance.com). Thanks!

----------------
On 6/12/2003 4:29:41 PM DiehardSearcher wrote:

"...It took a long time to find someone who could do the engraving (and I didn't feel was like a hardware store that also could engrave). In the end, I found PenDance (www.pendance.com). She did it in a calligraphy style that was very beautiful, very professional, yet not machine like. You can tell it is done by hand, which I thought was perfect. Check out their site, maybe you can find similar type services in your area. If not, ship it to Maureen at PenDance..."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results