shape
carat
color
clarity

How to help cat adjust to new house

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are moving in about two weeks to a bigger flat. Cat, who is about 10 years old, does not adjust to anything well. She loves my ILs and stays with them when DH and I go on vacation, but even then it takes about 3 weeks for her to get back to her normal behaviour.

Cat is an indoors cat, she has no front claws, so I don''t need to worry about getting her used to the outside. I''m unsure how I should move her. I was thinking that while we were packing about a week before, and unpacking the new place about a week after, I''d have her stay at the ILs. I don''t want her running out any open doors while we are physically transporting furniture and boxes. If she stays with them for about 2 weeks she wouldn''t have to witness any of the packing and getting re-set up. Is that good or not?

Once she''s actually in the new flat what can I do to get her used to the place? It''s about double the size. I''ve posted in the past about her and DH having some adjustment issues, which are still improving (on both sides! She hissed the other day and he didn''t take it personally, just walked away! Major improvement
1.gif
). Ideas?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we moved (also to a MUCH bigger house) I was worried about our two cats but they didn''t seem phased at all. Not sure if it was because all our stuff was there OR b/c they love having so much room to run and play. She might surprise you!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think having her stay at the ILs during the packing and moving is a great idea to minimize the trauma.

When you do move and bring her to the new place, I''d do several things. First, start her in a small, confined space. This will help keep her from feeling overwhelmed - try a bathroom or other small room. Second, make sure she has things she finds comforting - these could include her favorite bed, a shirt or other item that smells like you, favorite toys, safe places to take a nap (hidden, soft, warm, dark). Third, make sure to spend plenty of positive time with her - play time, cuddle time, soft, encouraging, positive voices, and whatever her favorite food is.

Then ease her gradually into the rest of the new place. Introduce her to it a little bit at a time, and put her back in her safe room if she seems overwhelmed or stressed. Try to make sure she has as much of a routine as possible, and be as patient and gentle as you can.

I''m sure with these tips, kitty will make the transition well, as this will minimize the stress she is under.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 6:24:16 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
I think having her stay at the ILs during the packing and moving is a great idea to minimize the trauma.

When you do move and bring her to the new place, I''d do several things. First, start her in a small, confined space. This will help keep her from feeling overwhelmed - try a bathroom or other small room. Second, make sure she has things she finds comforting - these could include her favorite bed, a shirt or other item that smells like you, favorite toys, safe places to take a nap (hidden, soft, warm, dark). Third, make sure to spend plenty of positive time with her - play time, cuddle time, soft, encouraging, positive voices, and whatever her favorite food is.

Then ease her gradually into the rest of the new place. Introduce her to it a little bit at a time, and put her back in her safe room if she seems overwhelmed or stressed. Try to make sure she has as much of a routine as possible, and be as patient and gentle as you can.

I''m sure with these tips, kitty will make the transition well, as this will minimize the stress she is under.

Big ditto. Perfect advice, here. We did these things with our four kitties when we moved in together (one is 18-years-old, the other three are three-years-old) and it worked very well.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! She really is the nervous type, afraid of everything and takes forever to adjust. Even after living with DH for 1.5 years we''re seeing improves almost weekly. I''m constantly saying, "see, I told you she''s not a devil cat."

To the IL''s she goes and then slowly letting her into the entire flat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results