shape
carat
color
clarity

How-to guide for antique/estate rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curlyq_hw

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow PSers,

I posted in the forum a few months back and am here again to ask for some help/advice. My fiancee and I will be going ring shopping next month, and I really love antique/estate pieces, especially from the 1950s. Is there a prior thread or some kind of tutorial on PriceScope that helps first-timers with purchasing antique/estate diamonds?

I am guessing that if we get a ring from the 1950s, the diamond would be a transitional cut. Is that correct? What should we be looking for in order to figure out if the ring and center stone are of good/excellent quality, since these older stones have no AGS/GIA certs?

We plan to get the ring appraised and to make sure the original jeweler has a return policy. But what should we step through the door knowing prior to buying and appraising a ring? If the dealer states the color/clarity of the center diamond, is there anything we can do to try and verify his claim? I guess what I am trying to ask is if there is a way to avoid getting "taken" before we put money down on anything. Both of us would like to avoid the hassle of purchasing/returning an estate piece and my fiancee and I want to be armed with as much advance knowledge as is possible.

All responses welcome, thanks!

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Buy an idealscope and use that to evaluate the diamonds, at a minimum. It''ll tell you how much light is being returned, regardless of shape, cut, size, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results