shape
carat
color
clarity

How to go about dress shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
So, I got engaged last weekend, and even though we don''t have a date set, I would like to go out and see what kind of dresses look good on me. My question is, how do I go about going to bridal salons? Should I make an appointment? There is no way that I am going to buy a dress on my first outing, and I would like to look at multiple stores (David''s Bridal, and some smaller salons). Will they get mad if I say I am just looking? Thanks for your help!

Mrs.soontobealfonzo

Rough_Rock
first off congrats, This is a wonderful moment in your life just savor it. I got engaged in july and it took me till 3 weeks ago to try on my first dress. Everyone is different, but I was so in love with my hunny that that was the last thing on my mind. He was everything to me for about that whole month. I was up his butt all gogglie eyed. lol

The way I went about it was by buying a bridal magazine, and looking thur it and the dresses that I like I would search for it on the knot.com. They have an area on the site where you can look for gowns that are in your budget $ $$ $$$ $$$$ $$$$ It went something like that. $$- is 1000-1500 thats my budget. Then when I found the designer in the budget thats when I made an appointment. I didn''t want to feel stupid in a bridal salon where that dresses were way to expensive for me.

You can even go to the designers trunk show where you would save 15% all gowns from lasts years line.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i think you should look in the magazines first for styles you might like. you may end up tempted to buy on the first outing...it has happened to many here before. there are so many styles and they are always changing. if you aren''t going to be married for awhile then its best to wait to dress shop. its exciting and addictive to try on dresses--and the more you try on the more confused you get..lol..
emhot.gif
have fun with your fiance and enjoy this time before planning gets hectic and takes
over.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Yes, check out the bridal **** first. Get an idea of what you like. It will also help to think about what kind of wedding you want, formal or informal etc..
Then I recommend going to David''s bridal. Since they have things in a lot of sizes you can try things on that actually fit. Just make sure that you dont let them boss you about and dictate what you should wear underneath. If you''re not svelte, don''t let them put a foam corset bra thingy on you. Insist on a boned one or just wear a strapless there. They are very friendly which is a big plus when you''re starting out.
I also recommend lieing through your teeth about just looking.
2.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Definitely don''t buy a dress until you pick your site, decide the style of the wedding, and the time. You don''t want to end up a 2-dress bride.

Definitely make an appointment and don''t freak out like I did! It took me 6 months of being engaged to try a dress on. I just didn''t want to. Luckily by the time I got around to it, I was able to find one on my 2nd outing.

Congrats and good luck!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Don''t limit yourself to one particular style you like on a picture. I tried on as many styles as possible and found out I love strapless on me, when I wanted anything but that at first. Have fun and try lots of them. Also, don''t forget to wear a good strapless bra and covering underwear.

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your suggestions! Believe it or not, I haven''t even had a chance to go out and buy any bridal **** yet! I''ll try to get some this week. Anchor, thanks for the reminder to wear "good" underwear.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!!! How excited you must be :)

1) I want to put my advice in for NOT limiting yourself to what looks great in magazines because they often times look SO different on you. I love how mermaid styles LOOK but on me they just (shudders)....don''t look good. But I recommend you giving different styles.......and especially necklines.........a try.

2) DBs is fantastic to go for a first run because they DO have lots of sizes on hand........but I highly recommend taking pics if they''ll let you and looking at those pics later.......myself and a few others I''ve talked to (in person and on here) have found a strange issue looking at the pics of them in DB gowns once home.......not as great as when in the store. I''m thinking DB has skewed mirrors or something lol. (just my experience here....and I''m sure I''m in the exception).

3) After you go to DB''s, definitely try other designers that really aren''t that much more expensive....Alfred Angelo and some Maggie Sottero come to mind.....I tried on an Oleg Cassani at DB that cost $1k and it couldn''t TOUCH the construction and beauty of a $500 MS gown.

4) And I second the comment about wearing nice, white undies lol. Black thongs CAN be seen under some dresses and it might have you feeling too "out there" lol. And that foam hell bra thing is ridiculous as it stops right where one''s tummy is most "ample" and creates a huge bump and smoodges all your tummy fat OUT of the darn thing. It''s not pretty lol. Either go the corset route in a bra or choose a dress that has that corset-type of construction in the bodice. Lots have that and they have the advantage of feeling secure up top.

5) Eat something light before hand and bring water. For some reason, dress shopping is tiring and you''ll want your energy and good attitude to remain.

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
Wow So_happy, thanks for the detailed list! The convenience store I went to over lunch didn''t have any magazines, so I''ll have to try somewhere else on the way home from work. You guys are great!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely get an idea of what you like by looking through the mags. You can make appts at David''s Bridal and salons to see what looks good. In my experience the people at David''s don''t pressure a sale, but depending on the salon some might. That doesn''t mean you need to buy though!

wendybird

Rough_Rock
Don''t forget to wear a strapless bra!! And I second the nice underwear as some consultants will help you change into your dress. Also don''t forget to bring a good friend and a camera!!

I get intimidated by lots of girls and stuff like this, so it was so nice to have a reassuring friend that was watching out for me and my best interest. Of course she was taking lots of pictures too. It''s very different seeing yourself in the dress and at the store. So personally I''d never recommend getting the dress the same day before taking a better look of the picture on your computer screen!!

GOOD LUCK SHOPPING!!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I think making an appt is a great idea but not necessary for all stores. The first time I went, I didn''t make any appt.s but went right when they opened. It worked out fine. I had a lot of assistance and everyone was very nice to me. I felt no pressure to buy whatsoever. The second time, I had appt.s and it actually took longer at the first place. I think they just weren''t very organized.
I completely agree w/bringing a camera. I was pretty positive that I found my dress after day 1. I went home and looked at the pics and just was shocked. Was that really how *my* dress looked on me?? Um..didn''t get that dress! I ended up going back, getting a much better feel for what looked good on me (mainly from fellow PSers) and on shopping day 2, I found my dress.
I would suggest getting a feel for what you like in magazines and on websites, but honestly, that doesn''t mean that is what you will like in person. I liked completely different styles in magazines than what I bought. I was very surprised w/what I ended up liking in person.
At David''s, what I think helped me is that I went in there w/a list of style #''s so they just brought those out. Then, I didn''t have to waste time there browsing the magazine or having them bring me things they think I would like.
Oh, other good advice I received on PS was to not try on dresses out of your price range. I did try on a few a hundred or two out of my range but I kept pretty strict to that advice and boy am I glad now.
Also, if there is a sale, make sure they tell you when it ends and you have that person''s name. Two people told me a sale ended on a particular date. When I went back, they said it ended the week before. I ended up getting the sale price anyway.

Have fun and take lots of pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results